How often should a cat poop on all wet food? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2009, 09:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Default How often should a cat poop on all wet food?

My two have been on wet food only since Sunday, when we discovered Fern's yet-to-be-diagnosed bladder problem. They both are eating about their normal amount of food, but we've noticed a drastic drop in the amount of poop in the litter box. Fern normally poops like a human (big) once a day or almost every day, but since Sunday there's only been one poop from her. Hubby says it was enormous, but even so, is one poop in four or five days okay or could this be another problem? She went from 2/3 wet, 1/3 dry to all wet, so it wasn't a huge difference in their food ratio. Same food - By Nature mostly, and also Evo and Merrick, with water mixed in to increase her water intake.

Her behavior is completely normal except for spending more time in the litter box, squatting in pee position but getting little or nothing out. I have not seen her trying to poop, and since she always tries to dig a hole to the other side of the world to poop I can tell she hasn't felt the need to go. Oh, and she's about 11 pounds, give or take a few ounces, and a very fit and trim kitty other than her peeing issue.
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2009, 09:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Default Re: How often should a cat poop on all wet food?

Frequency of pooping isn't much of an issue as long as the color, shape, and consistency of the stool are good. Darker colored (medium to dark brown), large, firm stools are good. Odd colored (black or light brown), small, rock-hard or loose stools are problematic. Just keep an eye on what Fern is producing and how she's producing it. Her stool sounds perfectly healthy from your description, and as long as she's not straining to expel it, everything sounds fine.

Laurie
laurief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurief
as long as she's not straining to expel it, everything sounds fine.
About a week and a half ago, (a week before her peeing problem started) hubby had me laughing hysterically as he described Fern in the litter box, face scrunched up with effort and grunting as she strained to poop. However, he said that was another monster log when she finally got it out, so we both figured the effort simply came from it being so big, kind of like we humans sometimes have to strain to go when it's really big. Her one poop so far this week was also huge for her, and he said it looked like she strained a little, but not much. We've just been assuming that when she does poop she's got so much in her that it's a bit of a strain. Color and consistency have been the same all along - darker brown, firm and large. She used to poop pretty much every day, but that was when she was getting a 50/50 mix of wet and dry food.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Dry food typically has more fiber than wet, she may be missing that. You can add some to her wet food...psyllium, Benefiber, unflavored Metamucil, canned pumpkin, slippery elm will all work fine.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Premier Cat

That's probably because most kibbles are high carb, and cats can't utilize carbs, so they end up expelled in the stool. Also, an equivalent volume of kibble has a lot more food mass than canned because canned is mostly water. If you're feeding her the same volume of canned as you were of kibble, she's actually getting less food mass to produce less stool.

Laurie
laurief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat

She's probably adjusting to the new food, but a call to the vet might put your mind at rest.

We cut back on wet for our cats and increased the dry - they're now pooping twice a day - and stinky ones at that.

But when our older cat was on primarily wet, she did skip days.
cmw0829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 07:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Mine are on all wet and go once or sometimes twice a day. I did notice a lot less #2 in the box when I switched to wet and much better looking stools. As others have said, they simply can't digest half the crap in dry food and just poop it out!
I wouldn't worry if a day is skipped but 5 is a long time. I would let your vet know. If nothing else is wrong and she's just a little backed up I would do as doodlebug suggested and add pumpkin (plain pumpkin not pie mix) or phsyllium (with a little spring water) to her food for a few days.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Still no poop today, Friday, but I weighed her and found that she's lost weight. She was 10.8 on Sunday, and 10.4 today. So I'm thinking that she hasn't pooped because she's not getting enough food. If the wet food isn't giving her as much food mass / calories as the dry I think that makes sense. She's been eating 98% of what I put out for her, but it's about the same volume of food she had before - if I give her more it doesn't get eaten. Today I'm going to offer her a palmful of dry food a few times a day in addition to the wet I've been giving her, and hopefully that will put a few ounces back on her and get her pooping again. I don't want to just leave dry food out, because she'll simply inhale whatever I put out and if it's too much barf it up five minutes later.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Finally got another poop this morning! Geez, I never thought I'd see the day when I would be excited about a cat using the litter box. Anyway, I gave her about four palmfuls of dry food throughout the day yesterday, and she didn't seem to be asking for as much food, so I think I'll continue that today and weigh her daily until she gains some back. If I can get a decent picture of her from above I'll post and see if you guys think she looks too skinny - hubby thinks she does, I think she's fine. Do you guys think I'm doing the right thing with giving her the extra dry food?
Advertisement