Pain meds - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2009, 06:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat

Default Pain meds

Our cat ruptured a cruciate ligament in one of her rear legs. Vet prescribed a liquid pain med (buprenex). Mia shows no visible signs of pain and the pain meds don't have any visible effect. Trying to medicate her results in a lot of struggle, which I worry will worsen the injury (we're supposed to be restricting her movements). Therefore, I'm holding off on giving her the meds.

Perhaps better technique would help, but I've read a lot on medicating cats, including the very helpful sticky here, and doubt I'm going to be able to do a better job.

Does this make sense?
fusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2009, 06:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Default Re: Pain meds

An alternative to an oral pain medication is the "pain patch"...you can read about it here (if you get an annoying popup there, just press Ctrl and N to get a fresh window)

I haven't dealt with that particular injury, but considering that your Vet prescribed the Buprenex, and, considering that cats are expert at hiding their pain, perhaps you might ask about the Fentanyl patch as an alternative.

"Keep in mind that with all internet forums, the experience and knowledge base of the participants will vary."
- Lisa A. Pierson DVM
Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 05:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I used a suggestion I found here for giving liquid meds..... Lay your cat down on her side and slowly drip the medication on the side of her mouth. She will feel the liquid hit her face and lick automatically, ingesting the pain medicine with hopefully not too much struggle. This has worked with one of my girls, although if your kitty gets upset at being laid down on her side it may not work.

You could also try a method that makes giving pills much easier - straddle the cat, so she's sitting between your legs facing away from you, and your rear end is down just far enough to hold her in place to keep her from backing away from you, while your legs are close enough together to keep her from moving to the side. Scruff her with one hand, then with the other hand use your middle finger to pop her mouth open and toss the pill/squirt the meds down her throat with thumb and first finger. This sounds like it would be easier with two people, but I find it's easier for me to do on my own.

Have you picked your cat up at all? I avoided picking up Fergie after her abdominal surgery, because she would give a whiny mew that told me she was in pain. After her pain meds were done, I picked her up just once a day so I would have an indication of how she was feeling. If your kitty disguises her pain no matter what this won't help you, but if you pick her up / handle her leg and get a reaction out of her you'll know she needs those pain meds.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I think a fentanyl patch would be overkill for the type of pain you are describing.

Your cat is not supposed to be swallowing the buprenax. It won't work correctly if you are giving it like a pill or liquid medicine. It only has to go into the pocket between her lip and teeth at the corner of her mouth so it is absorbed through the mucous membranes. You should be able to sneak it in much easier than a liquid medicine.
vabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 06:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabird
Your cat is not supposed to be swallowing the buprenax. It won't work correctly if you are giving it like a pill or liquid medicine.
Whoops, so that means that while Fern was on it she wasn't actually getting any benefit from it? The vet told me to give it under the tongue, but since she would take it easier with me shooting it down her throat that's how she got it. Sorry to give incorrect info, I thought all meds were fine to be swallowed.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Don't feel guilty, WhiteKitties. It is an easy mistake to make. Buprenax is a narcotic-like drug. In dogs and cats, narcotics don't get to high enough blood levels when they are swallowed. If they are absorbed through the mucous membranes such as the gums or under the tongue, they go directly into the bloodstream. This isn't true for all drugs and is why you should always follow drug administration directions carefully.
vabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement