Burnt paws - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2009, 01:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat

Default Burnt paws

Dante just walked on top of the woodstove and burnt his paws. He's clearly in discomfort and I don't know how to treat it. I'm just going to leave him alone for now since he won't let us near him. Would putting Vaseline on them help or hurt him?

I just hope he's learned his lesson...poor little guy.
chloecatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2009, 02:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Default Re: Burnt paws

Cold water immediately would have been the best thing to do. Of course, you'll probably have to go to a vet, but until you get there:

Here are some instructions:
Quote:
First or Second Degree Burns

The warning signs for a first-degree burns include fur intact or singed, painful lesions, or red skin with possible blisters. Warning signs for second-degree burns include singed fur and painful lesions that turn tan with swelling and blistering.

Step 1: Approach the cat carefully. If your cat is nervous or anxious, restrain the cat if necessary.

Step 2: Apply cold water or ice packs to the burned area; leave in contact with the skin for 15 minutes. Do not apply ointment or butter. {emphasis mine)

Step 3: If burns cover a large part of the body or are located where the cat can lick them, cover with a sterile dressing. Do not use cotton.

Step 4: Wrap torn rags or other soft material around the dressing and tie or tape just tightly enough to keep it in place.

Step 5: Transport the cat to the veterinarian as soon as possible.

Third Degree Burns

The signs for third degree burns include destruction of an entire skin area, black or pure white lesions, or fur that pulls out easily. Also, watch for signs of shock, which include pale or white cat gums as well as rapid heartbeat and breathing.

Step 1: Approach the cat carefully. If your cat is nervous or anxious, restrain the cat if necessary. Do not apply ointment or butter.

Step 2: Apply a sterile dressing over the burned area. Do not use cotton.

Step 3: Wrap torn rags or other soft material around the dressing and tie or tape just tightly enough to keep it in place.

Step 4: Transport the cat to the veterinarian immediately.
http://animals.howstuffworks.com/pets/h ... burned.htm

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Jeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 02:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Is there any way you can get a look at his paws? My parent's cat did this when I was growing up. She hid for 3 days, but recovered fine with no need for vet care. However, she barely touched the stove -- if I hadn't been looking at her at the time we never would have known what happened. I didn't know cats could levitate! So, her paws LOOKED ok and clearly the burns weren't that bad.

Farrah had gotten accustomed to jumping on the (cool) wood stove to get to the mantel to knock things over. FWIW, after that one incident she never went near the wood stove again, even when it was cool. One trial learning!
Old 05-23-2009, 03:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Just to add to what Jeanie said, do the cold water if possible. After feel to see if you can feel any heat still. If it feels like there is still heat from the burn keep it under water sooner.

Me on Last.fm
Zalensia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 03:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premier Cat

At home, we always kept a cast-iron kettle on top of the woodstove. We kept it filled with water to add moisture to the air, but it also created a barrier that prevented cats from thinking they could jump onto it since it looked like there was no room for them.
I have a feeling, after an experience like that...he'll probably keep a good distance from the stove like Bethany's cat did.
Heidi n Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 04:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat

Well it's a couple of hours later and his paws look their usual pink. Although there seems to be some white circles on the digit pads but I can't remember if they were there already. Right now he's sleeping and there doesn't seem to be much heat coming from his pads. He doesn't show any signs of discomfort while walking either, so I'm guessing the stove wasn't extremely hot. I'll monitor him and try to apply a cool clothe if he's uncomfortable although he doesn't really want to be touched, but he is curled up on the couch.

Thanks for the advice, any way to avoid the vets is great.

*edit* I don't think the white spots are third degree burns or blisters
chloecatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement