What is the safest anesthesia for a dental procedure? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2009, 08:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cat

Default What is the safest anesthesia for a dental procedure?

I know about the blood tests before surgery, but I still want the safest form of anesthesia available. Last time Misty had a dental cleaning, she couldn't even walk for most of the evening. It was awful.

Misty had surgery 3 months prior to remove her anal sacs. I took her to a vet that specializes in surgery. I think she used inhaled gas. She brought her to me within 15 minutes after surgery, and Misty acted like she had never been put under.

Thanks,
Jen
Jenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2009, 09:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Re: What is the safest anesthesia for a dental procedure?

"what is the safest anesthesia?" The one your vet is most experienced with. Seriously. Are you going to ask him/her to use a drug or technique for the first time on your pet just because someone on a forum recommended it?

There are a ton of misconceptions about anesthesia floating around on the web and one of them is that the faster the recovery the safer the anesthesia. That just isn't true. For one thing, individuals react differently than other individuals to drugs and can react differently at different times. I can have two cats that received the same durgs recovering in adjacent cages and will have two totally different recoveries.

Secondly, a good anesthesia is one that provides good pain relief, keeps the animal still, and keeps the blood pressure up to preserve organ function. There isn't any "one size fits all" in anesthesia. A good protocol is tailored to the particular animal's age, health, demeanor, and the procedure being done.

Another misconception is that safety is related to the drugs used. It really is about the monitoring and I don't mean fancy equipment. The safest anesthesia is done with a trained assistant monitoring the pet throughout the entire procedure.

So forget about asking what drugs should be used. Ask your vet if someone is dedicated to monitoring your pet during the procedure.
vabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

If you're outside of the US and can't get proper care wherever you may be. (Like I am, in the third world). There is a good thread under the health section titled 'best way to knock a cat out' or something to that effect. If you have the choice of getting proper care, i'd exercise it. If you're screwed like me, good luck.
tsenseless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 11:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I both agree and disagree with vabird. I agree that monitoring is absolutely key to your cat's safety under any anesthesia. I also agree that the pre-anesthetic and anesthetic drugs should be tailored to your cat's specific needs. I disagree that a surgical assistant can properly monitor a cat's condition under anesthesia without the proper monitoring equipment, and I disagree that some drugs aren't intrinsically safer than others under most circumstances.

If you want to get a handle on the veterinary options available in your area, call your area clinics and ask. Ask how they monitor cats under anesthesia and what equipment they have available to do so. Ask if they administer fluids before and during the procedure. Ask what they give for pain management. Ask if they prescribe antibiotics for a week PRIOR to a dental procedure. Ask about their anesthesia protocol and recommendations. Ask if dental xrays are taken to ascertain the condition of the teeth both above and below the gumline. ASK QUESTIONS! That's how you'll find out what's available to you and your cat and be able to make wise, informed choices.

This link will provide you with suggested guidelines for dental procedures for higher risk feline patients, though I personally believe the guidelines are a good idea to follow for all cats:

http://www.felinecrf.org/related_dis...al_precautions

Laurie
laurief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 11:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cat

Thanks for all the information.

Jen
Jenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement