The cheapest way to buy flea meds! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2009, 04:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default The cheapest way to buy flea meds!

I'm sorry if this is old news but I believe that every pet owner should know this, especially if you have multiple pets like I do.

You see, normally I would spend lots of money on a flea preventative like frontline for my four cats, my small dog, and my medium dog. That's three boxes of flea meds. So in an attempt to save money, one day I was searching the internet for somewhere to order my flea meds online for a discount price. What I found is absolutely awesome. I found out that I can order frontline for extra large dogs and use a syringe to measure out smaller doses for all my pets, even my cats! I learned this from a store on e-bay. They sent me a single dose of frontline for extra large dogs, a syringe, a bottle to store the liquid in, and instructions on how to dose my pets. So now I treat all six of my babies out of one bottle for $14 a month. The store I bought from explains that it's safe, even for cats, as long as you measure the doses correctly. It's super easy and it's obvious how cost effective it is. The store also explains how to tell the difference between the real product and counterfeit. Just search frontline plus on e-bay and I'm sure you'll find it. Never spend a fortune on flea meds again!
macncheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2009, 06:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Re: The cheapest way to buy flea meds!

Of course the people you bought the Frontline from on ebay are going to say it's safe...what else would they say? And I bet their tips for telling counterfeits from real products will indicate that theirs is the real deal...

But let's assume for a moment that their product is real...CAREFULL measuring and dispensing might indeed be more economical. BUT! Last I knew, the cat and dog formulations of this product are DIFFERENT. It is NOT just a question of quantity! And I know for a fact that MOST flea products are species specific, and should NEVER be used on the wrong species!

I would be EXTREMELY cautious about this! More information is needed! Putting your cat into the hospital with a chemical toxicity (assuming he lives that long) will be MUCH more expensive than just buying the cat version!

Yikes...
glassbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 03:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Actually, Frontline and Advantage are the same for dogs and cats.

However, AdvanTIX should NEVER be applied to cats.

Its the only way we apply flea medication at the clinic I work at, because we don't sell them (we're an emergency clinic) we don't have a large supply of them. We have the largest dog sizes of Frontline and Advantage measured into a tube and a charte for how much to dose each pet based on weight. We sell it to employees but also apply the medications to any pets who come into the clinic infested with fleas.

Also, at the day practices I worked at we often had some VERY large cats who were much bigger than the normal dose ranges for cat flea medications. So we told them to apply two tubes... but many other clinics often recommended the small dog doses for large cats.

I would make sure you have an accurate dose to apply and make sure you are really measuring the right amount. Technically, in safety trials they expose the animals to some 5X or so the normal level of medications and its still safe... but not something I would recommend.

I don't have the doses on hand either as I don't use the products. But yes, a single dose of large dog flea medication is enough for several cat sized doses. And is very cost effective.

Just make sure the products are Frontline or Advantage - not Revolution, Advantix or the newer medications like Promeris and Vectra.

edit to add link:

http://www.lisaviolet.com/cathouse/advantage.html

has information and doses

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
OsnobunnieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

Glassbird, the formula of frontline is almost the same for dogs and cats except that the dog formula has 3% less of one ingredient. It is safe and I've been using it for all of my cats and dogs without any problems. I would never put my pets' health in jeopardy. I did my homework on the stuff and found out that many people do this and vets will even perscribe dog flea meds for overweight cats. I don't think the store would stay in business if it was killing off peoples' cats. They have all positive reviews and all products are exactly as they are described. Ebay has rules against false descriptions and things like that. If you don't trust the seller, you can easily just buy x-large frontline from your vet and check the dosage out for yourself. I even used it on my pregnant and nursing cats because frontline IS approved for them and all babies are healthy as can be and mommy is flea-free!

OsnobunnieO, I thought they make Advantix for cats? I know that they are species-specific but I thought they made one for both. Now that stuff's expensive!
macncheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cool Cat

There is no Advantix made for cats.. There is Advantage and Advocate but not Advantix! With so many products, it can get so confusing!

You can split the Frontline amongst pets (as long as you are using the right amount!) - I have a friend who works at a vet clinic and she does it for her guinea pigs.. BUT if you ever ask the manufacturer, they will advise against it and alot of vets will as well, just to cover themselves. If someone is told that yes, it is safe to split but then the client uses the wrong amounts, or something else goes wrong it can be turned back to the vet staff/manufacturer that has said it's safe..
Old 07-22-2009, 10:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

Be careful with the ebay sellers that sell you one large dose with a syringe (vial resellers). Typically it's not dangerous (because cat and dog frontline are in fact very similar products), however much of the stuff sold in "single doses" on third party websites are phony. I know this because I work at a feed store and people come in ALL THE TIME telling us about how they found such a great deal on frontline (describing the website detailing that it's ok to apply it with the syringe in measured doses) "but it doesn't work!" We then have to explain to them that yes, it is ok to switch dog and cat frontline as long as the dose measurement is correct, but many of these vial reseller websites simply make their own packaging and sell you oily water as a counterfeit to the real product.

The only difference between the dog and the cat frontline is that the cat has more of the ingredient S-Methoprene. S-Methoprene is an insect growth hormone that affects the ability of adult fleas to produce offspring. The percentage of the other active ingredient (Fipronil) is the same in both products. Fipronil and methoprene are relatively new insecticides that bind to the nervous systems of insects and not animals. This makes these chemicals lethal to insects, but harmless to your dog or cat unless ingested in massive quantities.

The same thing with the vial reselling scam goes for Advantage. Advantage is also safe to apply to both dogs and cats in measured amounts because both contain the same percentage of imidacloprid as the main ingredient.

K9 Advantix uses permethrins as its main ingredient, however and should NEVER EVER EVER be applied to cats or even used in a multiple pet household. This goes for cheaper flea control products such as Seargent's, Hartz, and Bio Spot, as well.
robotcrankit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by love.my.cats
There is no Advantix made for cats.. There is Advantage and Advocate but not Advantix! With so many products, it can get so confusing!

You can split the Frontline amongst pets (as long as you are using the right amount!) - I have a friend who works at a vet clinic and she does it for her guinea pigs.. BUT if you ever ask the manufacturer, they will advise against it and alot of vets will as well, just to cover themselves. If someone is told that yes, it is safe to split but then the client uses the wrong amounts, or something else goes wrong it can be turned back to the vet staff/manufacturer that has said it's safe..
This is the same response I give customers at my store that ask about splitting doses. I say yes, it's possible but you have to measure it very carefully. Even though you don't really need to be authorized by a vet to do this, I always tell my customers that they have to ask their vet before they attempt splitting doses. I do this just so the vet can reiterate the proper way to do it to them, because people are more willing to follow instructions from a veterinarian than some girl that works at a pet supply store.
robotcrankit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 05:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cat

Personally, I do not apply ANY chemical flea/tick repellant to my cats or dogs. There have been too many reports of adverse reactions to spot on products, including seizures and even death. The manufactures will, of course, keep denying there is any connection and pay high priced lawyers to continue to prove they are safe (I work in a law firm ).

I use food grade diatomaceous earth as flea/tick repellant for my dogs and cats. I live in an area with a lot of ticks, and have not found a single one. I also have not found any fleas.

Some DE links (some of them might be dog-related but it works on cats, too):

http://www.permaguard.com/items.html

http://www.dirtworks.net/Diatomaceous-Earth.html

http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/de_retailers.html

http://www.greenharvest.com.au/pestcont ... _prod.html

http://www.earthworkshealth.com/products.php?

http://wapedia.mobi/en/Diatomaceous_earth

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth

Diatomaceous earth is also a natural wormer and digestive aid for animals and humans.
nikelodeon79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement