Question about "corn gluten meal" - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2009, 08:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Question about "corn gluten meal"

I'm just wondering...when I do a google search for "corn gluten meal" the only thing that comes up is it's use as an organic herbicide, the wikipedia link says

"Corn gluten meal (often simply called CGM) is a byproduct of corn (maize) processing that has historically been used as an animal feed. In 1985, Dr. Nick Christians of Iowa State University, discovered that CGM displayed pre-emergent herbicidal effects during a series of turf grass experiments.[1] The use of corn gluten meal as an herbicide was patented in 1991,[1] but, like many food-related substances used for gardening, is not regulated in the US."

So, this IS the same same stuff in cheap pet food right? Herbicide? Doesn't sound too healthy when you put it that way, kinda like calling "powdered cellulose" sawdust I guess.

Just wanted to be sure when I argue with people about the food they're giving their cat (or dog).
Sabala is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2009, 09:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Default Re: Question about "corn gluten meal"

Quote:
Corn Gluten meal is the dried residue from after they take out the startch and the germ (the most nutricious part of the plant in this case). Corn Gluten meal is the by-product from the manufactering of corn startch, corn syrup, or by the enzymic treatment of the endosperm (food for the growing plant).
Corn Gluten meal is high in nitrogen and makes a great weed killer. It helps by boosting the protien count on the bag of food. There is no facts that prove that cats can digest vegetable protien properly. It is also corn meaning that it is most likely genetically modified and contains alfatoxins. Alfatoxins are an extremelly dangorous toxin that is produced through mold or fungus; their ingestion is linked to liver damage, immune deficiency's, and other serious health problems. Heat processing or freezing won't control the alfatoxins, and unfortunatly, pet food manufacterers don't have to test for it.
This was also on eof the ingrediants in pet food that sparked the current pet food recall, and recent reports show that this contaminated corn gluten meal has killed many furry family members.
-Natural Nutrition for CATS by Kymythy R. Schultze, C.N., C.N.C.
furryfriends251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Corn gluten meal is a concentrated protein source. There are a lot of foods out there with chicken as the first ingredient and CGM as the second. In that situation, the cat is getting it's primary protein source from the CGM. The chicken is comprised of 70% water and it's actual protein content is way below that of the CGM. Since cats don't process vegetable protein well, CGM is not part of a species appropriate diet. CGM is also a source of allergens just a whole corn is.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 03:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

So I guess that means the corn gluten meal in cat food is in fact also used as an organic weedkiller.
Sabala is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement