Cat doesn't want to eat solid food - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2009, 06:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Cat doesn't want to eat solid food

I have a 7-yr-old fixed male cat. He's had a lot of vomiting problems over the years, until I switched him to an all-wet-food diet. Once I did that, pretty much the only time he threw up was when he had fur balls. And it seems like that's where the current problem began...

It seems like he shed significantly more than usual this summer, which was especially strange considering that we had a very cool summer. I brushed him every day, but he still threw up fur balls pretty much every day. Every once in a while he would yowl in pain, so I thought he might have a lot of fur in his stomach. So I started giving him fur ball treatment every day (which he loved and actually served as a reward that made him more cooperative during brushing).

Once I started giving him the fur ball treatment, he still threw up fur balls everyday, but he wasn't yowling in pain anymore and he seemed more playful too. That is, up until about a week ago. Suddenly, he stopped throwing up, and I assumed that was becuz he was shedding less as we approached the end of summer. I also noticed that he was leaving a of food in his bowl (though he would still meow to be fed), and that he was getting even skinnier than normal. I finally figured out that was he was doing was licking the "gravy" off the food but leaving the meat. I watched him eat and he got a piece of meat in his mouth, chewed it a couple times, and spit it out.

So at this pt, I'm not sure what the problem is. I thought his teeth might be hurting and that's why he didn't want to chew, but they look ok. I also thought that he might still have fur in his stomach and the "liquid diet" he's on makes it hurt less somehow. I gave him the fur ball treatment again, but he didn't throw up anything. He's not producing much stool, but what he is producing doesn't have any fur in it. I also got some liquid food for nursing kittens to make sure that he's at least getting his nutrients until I figure this out, but he wouldn't eat it
syc0path is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2009, 08:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Default Re: Cat doesn't want to eat solid food

You need to get your cat to the vet for bloodwork as quickly as possible. Inappetance and rapid weight loss are common symptoms of renal failure, among other possible ailments. These symptoms also leave your cat at risk of developing potentially fatal hepatic lipidosis. This is NOT a wait-and-see situation. You need to get your cat diagnosed NOW, and you need to get food into him NOW. The following links will provide you with a lot of tips and tricks to get food into him:

http://www.felinecrf.org/persuading_cat_to_eat.htm
http://www.assistfeed.com/
http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/Feline ... ed-Feeding

Until you can get him to your vet (which should be tomorrow), try blending some of his favorite canned food in your kitchen blender with enough hot water to turn it into a warm, thick soup that he can lap up. If he's still willing to lick the gravy off of his canned food, hopefully he'll also lap up canned food soup.

Please let us know the results of his blood tests when you get them from the vet.

Laurie
laurief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurief
You need to get your cat to the vet for bloodwork as quickly as possible. Inappetance and rapid weight loss are common symptoms of renal failure, among other possible ailments. These symptoms also leave your cat at risk of developing potentially fatal hepatic lipidosis. This is NOT a wait-and-see situation. You need to get your cat diagnosed NOW, and you need to get food into him NOW. The following links will provide you with a lot of tips and tricks to get food into him:

http://www.felinecrf.org/persuading_cat_to_eat.htm
http://www.assistfeed.com/
http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/Feline ... ed-Feeding

Until you can get him to your vet (which should be tomorrow), try blending some of his favorite canned food in your kitchen blender with enough hot water to turn it into a warm, thick soup that he can lap up. If he's still willing to lick the gravy off of his canned food, hopefully he'll also lap up canned food soup.

Please let us know the results of his blood tests when you get them from the vet.

Laurie
Well I couldn't get him to the vet on Wed becuz they closed at 5pm and I was working. But they're open later on Thurs, so I was able to get an appt last night. I followed the advice from the sites u posted, like warming his food, moving it to another room, putting it on a flat plate rather than in a bowl, etc, but nothing worked. But I do have a syringe for giving him liquid Predisone when he has vomiting episodes, so I used that to administer the liquid kitten food I got. He was fairly cooperative and I was able to give him the recommended dose for a cat his size. So at least he didn't get any more malnourished before I could get him to the vet!

Anyway, the vet did a blood draw, but she said she wanted to send it out to a lab for an in-depth analysis. She did a physical exam and said that his kidneys felt fine and there was no reason to suspect CRF (I asked her about that based on your post). However, CRF was included in the battery of lab tests. The vet did do a leukemia screen at the office, which was negative. She also gave him a steroid injection, thinking that he might have an infection or an immuno... something that she described as similar to an allergic reaction, where the immune system attacks the body. That seemed to help -- a few hrs after we got home, he seemed more lively, less pale, and he even ate some solid food!

They just called w/ the test results, and basically everything was negative. He is anemic, and his protein and BUN(?) are low, but all of that is probably due to him not eating much for the last several days. The tests also showed that he is regenerating red blood cells, indicating that he is fighting and infection or that it's the immuno problem described above. However, there was no sign of infection. Given these symptoms and that I know that he has food allergies (hence the vomiting and liquid Predisone treatments), I think the immuno reaction is the most likely cause. She prescribed steroids and antibiotics for him, and she wants to see him again early next week.
Old 09-20-2009, 02:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

Well he's still not doing well... he showed signs of improvement for a while (more appetite, more energy, more color in his nose), but now he's doing worse than before. A couple nights ago, I noticed his stomach seemed bloated, and it was even affecting his gait. I took him to the vet the next day, but she didn't seem too concerned about it. She noted that he hadn't lost any more weight (but he hadn't gained any either), and she felt that the bloating was just fluid in his stomach and it would go down as he ate more. She showed me how to open his mouth and put the food on his tongue to get him to eat.

So that's what I've been doing for the last couple days. But he's becoming more and more resistant to feeding, he's even more lethargic, the bloating is the same or maybe even worse, and last night, he threw up a dark brown liquid on 2 different occasions. It had bits of food in it, but the color is much darker than the color of the food. What could be causing this and what can I do about it??
Old 09-20-2009, 02:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Not sure if you've ever read the side of the hairball med tube. But mine says not to use on a regular basis as in daily as it stops the body from absorbing nutrients. It is possible that over usage is starting to affect the cat. I would immediately stop the use of the med and read your packaging and perhaps ask your vet about over usage.

I rarely ever use it and if I do I use it no more than 2 times a week for 2 weeks just to clear the problem (and never right before or after a meal). Luckily on raw my boys have no hairball issues. However many have recommended butter as a safer way to aid in hairball issues. But if your cat was suffering with hairballs daily I think there is a bigger issue as that isn't normal.

Leslie
Jack&Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 02:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

Actually, I haven't given him the hairball treatment since a couple days before he lost his appetite... and up until last night, he hasn't thrown up since then either.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Kitten

He's really taken a turn for the worst. When I got up this morning, he had no muscle tone and he could barely stand by himself. I signed a light in his eyes and his pupils barely dilated. We rushed him to the vet and the 1st thing she said was that it was time to put him down. He's severely anemic and dehydrated. I told her I wanted to do administer IV fluids and try an X-ray... he's there now and she's gonna call in about an hr. If she can't do anything else for him, I'm gonna take him to another vet for a 2nd opinion.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Kitten

Well we went to another vet... it was actually an animal hospital. They gave him a transfusion, and did more blood tests and an ultrasound. The vet said that his intestines were twisted and folded to such an extent that it was blocking the bile ducts in his liver. She was really surprised at how bad it was. She said that he may have eaten something long and skinny like yarn or string, or that the intestines may be diseased. Well I've never known him to eat foreign objects... I've never seen him do it and I've never seen anything other than hair in his stool. On the other hand, he's always had a very sensitive stomach, he seemed to be allergic to many different foods, and it got to the pt about a yr ago where he couldn't even eat 1 piece of dry food w/o throwing up. Throughout most of his life, he threw up on the average from once a day to once a week. My vet also diagnosed him w/ Irritable Bowel Syndrome several yrs ago. So I think it's pretty clear that his intestines were diseased, and in that case, the only treatment was an expensive and painful surgery, and even that didn't have much chance of succeeding.

I wanted to take him home yesterday so he could spend 1 more night w/ us, then have him put down today. But the vet at the hospital didn't think he'd make it thru the night, and even if he did, he would be suffering. So my gf and I went and spent some time w/ him last night, and then held him as the vet euthanized him I'll post more about it in the "Over the Rainbow Bridge" forum when I'm feeling up to it.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I'm so very sorry. God bless.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Jeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 12:32 AM   #10 (permalink)
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by syc0path
I'll post more about it in the "Over the Rainbow Bridge" forum when I'm feeling up to it.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=62164
Sponsored Links
Advertisement