Cat Forum banner

Cat's third eyelid is showing, is she sick?

23K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Heidi n Q 
#1 ·
I just came back from a week long holiday, she was fed everyday by someone who dropped by. She keeps meowing at me, not sure if it's attachment behaviour. Her third eyelid is showing and I heard this could mean she's sick. The third eyelid is completely black as is her fur.

See less See more
#2 ·
Looking at your picture, I'm not sure that's the third eyelid. I thought they were all white, but I could definitely be wrong.

When it happened to Cleo, she also had a fever (her ears were burning up). I took her to the E.R.

Of course, before that, I Googled what it could mean and dozens of things came up, and of course I imagined the worst. Turns out, it was parasites. Her previous owner failed to mention that she had been an inside/outside kitty, so it wasn't suspected at first. But it could mean many things. I'd take her in just to be sure. Bring in a stool sample if you can.

Good luck. I hope she's back to normal soon. :patback

#3 ·
It does look like the edges of her nictating membranes (3rd eyelid) are showing and it usually means the cat isn't feeling their best, so this can appear in almost any/all cases of a cat not feeling well; from mild to critical problems. I'd say a vet exam, possible blood test and stool test for parasites could give the Dr a good idea of what is going on and a course of treatment to remedy the symptoms.

...if you look at the photo of Cleo that Marie posted, you can see her 3rd eyelids *really* showing...and while they are a silvery/blue-ish color, the edge *is* a black line, which could be what you are beginning to see on your kitty. Looks like whatever is wrong with your kitty is either very new or mild, so its a good thing you've noticed it early. It will make recovery much quicker.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.