Cystotomy for stones - price and urgency? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2009, 10:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Cystotomy for stones - price and urgency?

My 3 year old female cat has been diagnosed with two kidney stones in her bladder. They are dime to penny sized and one of them is spiculed. I have spent $500 USD on the diagnosis and the recommended cystotomy (including anesthesia, fluids, 1 day hospitalization) will cost and additional $765. The vet said we could try diet to dissolve the stones but she has never had success with that method. I asked if it would be okay to wait a month or so that I will have time to work more hours to make money to pay for the surgery. She said that is okay, but the cat would need to stay on antibiotics until the surgery.

Daisy is acting fine and eating as normal except that she will not eat the Royal Canin SO canned food. I don't know if the dry version is any good, but the vet is ordering it so that Daisy can try it.

My questions are as follows:
1) Is the price for the surgery about normal, high, or low?
2) Is it risky to delay this surgery?

Thanks.
KathyAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2009, 07:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Default Re: Cystotomy for stones - price and urgency?

Vets always over charge, that is about the right price, but you may be able to shop around and find something for less. My cat also had to go on the royal canin SO and she hated it, until I started mushing the canned food with extra water and microwave it until it is just a bit warm (obviously stir it to make sure there are no hot spots). It is dangerous to delay things if it could cause a blockage. Medical also has a dissolution formula in canned that your cat may like. Also what may help - try switching to unscented litter, reduce stress in the environment, buy plug in pheremones for cats which calm them down, give atleast 70% of the daily food intake canned, which makes them pee more thus flushing the system so stones/crystals have a smaller chance of forming. BTW is your cat spayed? I wouldn't do the surgery unless it really is neccessary, if you notice she is peeing outside of the litter box, straining to pee, see only small amount of urine in the litter box, or she starts getting very agitated she could have a blockage. Try giving her lots of water so she has large pees in her litter box, my cats literally pee fist sized amounts because i give them so much wet food mixed with extra water, and my female was prone to lots of UTI's and struvite crystals, and she has been fine since February. If you have anymore questions, dont hestitate to ask. Good luck
KatBudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 08:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
jcp
Kitten

your cat should really have the procedue done as soon as possible. my kitten had crystals and i know it was hard for her, even though she acted fine most of the time. with thing slike this, cats will start peeing outside of the litterbox as well, so you have to consider if that is something you can deal with while putting off the procedure. i was wondering if you have considered financing? my friend was telling me, when her cat had crystals, she couldnt afford it, but she found a vet that let her pay off the bill bit by bit. maybe this is an option? i hope your kitty feels better, these types of things are no fun to deal with.
jcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 08:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Agree that sooner is better. Have you looked at Care Credit ( www. carecredit.com ), they offer very low financing rates for something like this, sometimes even no interest as long as you pay it off in a specified time. Some vets will also allow you to leave a series of post dated checks that they can deposit each month...maybe you can pay a portion of the bill when the surgery is done and then the rest by leaving checks for, say, $100 dated for the 1st of each month until it's paid off.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement