What is excessive urination? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2009, 11:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default What is excessive urination?

I mean how many times should a cat use the litter box for urinating a day? I know it's different for every cat, but what would be considered too many times? I remember when my cat was in a diabetic state (he's in remission now) that he would drink a lot, then urinate every hour or 2. Usually it was about 6 or more times a day. I know that was excessive, and it was happening because of the diabetes. Now that he's in remission he usually goes 2 or 3 times during the day, (not sure about night), at least from what I notice. But yesterday I was a little alarmed because he was going to the litter box every 2 hours or so when he usually went every 4 to 6 hours before. He did this 2 hour thing twice, then I know he didn't go for at least 4 hours before I went to bed because I was in the basement where his litter boxes are the whole time. He was also a little sick yesterday, so he was in a deep sleep for those 4 hours. I believe the culprit was the lactulose I gave him in the morning that made him sick. He doesn't usually get sick from lactulose, but I gave him a dose of 2 ml when I thought he needed it when in fact he didn't. He usually doesn't get sick on lactulose, but because he didn't need it, I guess it made him feel a little nauseated. Because he didn't need it, his stool was too soft when he went, not diarrhea, but wasn't formed properly either. It was after he went that he started feeling sick and threw up a bit of bile and was off his food. Because he threw up just a little bit, I wasn't too concerned about that. It seemed he was feeling a bit nauseous, and he didn't throw up again after that. I was concerned about him becoming dehydrated, and the fact he didn't have much of an appetite, but luckily he ate very well a few hours later when I gave him his afternoon meal. I loaded that meal with water, which he loves, and that was when the peeing every 2 hours started. So could it have just been the extra water combined with the lactulose? I know on days he gets lactulose he does seem to urinate more. In any case, I'm keeping an eye on him today. If he urinates as frequently as he did yesterday, I'm going to bring him to the vet to see if he has a UTI. He is not straining, and I can hear when he urinates that it's a normal amount, at least today when he went. Otherwise he's normal in every way, with activity level, eating, and drinking. I'm just worried about that frequency he was going yesterday. I would appreciate any thoughts and opinions on this. Thanks.
Lilygirl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2009, 12:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Default Re: What is excessive urination?

Lactulose is a sugar based product (anything with 'ose' at the end...fructose, sucrose etc.), so it probably amped up his sugar level in his blood and he started having diabetic symptoms as his system couldn't handle it. How is he doing today?

If he needs something to help with his bowels, why not something that doesn't affect his sugar...like petroleum jelly?

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Re: What is excessive urination?

I was concerned about the sugar in lactulose too, but my vet assured me it was indigestible sugar and not absorbed, so it's safe for diabetics. The thing I notice most when he's diabetic is excessive drinking, and he didn't do that yesterday at all. He either just licked the water twice, or ignored the dish all together. Even with the extra water in his food, if it was his diabetes, he would be bent over the dish. He can never seem to get enough water in him when his blood sugar starts to go beyond normal levels. I think the reason lactulose causes more urination is because it draws in moisture to make the stool soft. I do avoid giving it to him because even though it's not digested into his system and should not raise his blood sugar, I can't help being paranoid. Usually a bit of unflavoured Metamucil mixed into his afternoon meal keeps him pretty regulated in the poop department so I don't use lactulose very often.

He's fine today. He's more awake and alert now than yesterday, and whatever was bothering him seems to have passed. I did call the vet clinic for advice, and the tech said I should leave water out of his food for about 2 days to make sure the frequency has stopped. I'll put in a little, though, just not as much as yesterday.
Lilygirl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement