Can cats catch the human cold? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2009, 08:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Can cats catch the human cold?

I am new here so I'll give myself a quick intro:
I have 11 cats : Fudge, Turtle, Sox, Bounty, Uriel, Hosus, Bo, Ash, Patch, Bear and Gizmo.
Yes, it's a lot lol. Last year I hand reared Turtle and Sox and got Fudge as a kitten and we stupidly didn't get them neutered in time. And within 3 days of each other we had 3 litters born and 12 kittens in all. We managed to rehome four (and take on Ash and Bo who are a different story altogether ) - not because we couldn't get homes but because I couldn't bear to let go and knew we could offer them a good life here. Silly me should have got them spayed in time but it's too late to worry about that. At least now the three mummys are spayed and so far 3 of the kittens (out of the 8 kittens we kept, one of which got killed on the road a few weeks ago ).
When they were about 6 weeks they all got cat flu and after 2 courses of antibiotics (this cat flu didn't want to go!) they all healed up.
A few days ago two of my little brothers developed a little cold, just a bad cough and they had runny eyes.
Next day, a few of the cats aren't looking the best.
We had two getting neutered the day I first noticed a few not feeling so well, and by the time they got home one of these was feeling sick too. The vet never said anything though. Everyone but this little kitten is better by now though, mummy thinks the anaesthetic can't have done him much good. And today one more little one isn't feeling great. As the others healed up by themselves and the wee one who got neutered a few days ago is certainly improving, I don't think a vet visit is necessary.
So really I'm just asking if they could have caught the cold off my brothers? Strangely enough it has only affected the children up to 4 in my house, and only some of the kittens (none of the adults).
And I suppose if anyone has any little tips for making little kitten eyes feel better? (I do have drops but they really don't like them and I don;t know if it's worth annoying them over it when the others healed so quick with nothing!
This post is all a bit mumble jumble but maybe someone can make sense out of it
Emma.

Edit to say: Nothing will put these little scobes off their food so that's not a worry!
gerbilgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2009, 09:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Default Re: Can cats catch the human cold?

Welcome to the forum!
No, kitties can not get people colds and vise verse. So no worries there.
It sounds like you have an upper respiratory infection going around there. It's very common and very contagious (not to people! ) It's also very common for little ones to pick it up at the vet. Not that the vet did anything wrong, just a lot of animals in one place and kittens who haven't built up their immunity yet, and the stress of surgery. I'd keep a close eye on them. If you notice ANY yellow or non clear discharge from their nose or eyes, get them to the vet for antibiotics pronto. Otherwise, just keep them warm, good food, even add a little water to their food to keep them hydrated.
The real dangers with an URI are a secondary bacterial infection, which would require antibiotics and/or if they get stuffed up enough that they can't smell, they could stop eating and that can be serious.
One thing that really helped my guys when they had URIs was getting the bathroom all nice and steamy and then putting them in there for 15-20 minutes three or four times a day. Really helps break up any congestion.
Also, I'm not sure how young your kittens are but that's a factor as well. If they are older, URIs are usually not that serious however, they can be in really little ones and can progress extremely quickly so watch them very carefully.
If their eyes are clear and just a little runny, I wouldn't bother doing anything. But, again, if there is any hint of yellow or opaque discharge, to the vet they go!
Good luck!
Old 10-08-2009, 10:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Actually cats cant get human born viruses or colds however we can be affected by theres. I was diagnosed with bronchitis and it came for the same virus that my cat had we had them tested and i called all my old bosses that were veterinarians and they said it is less then 1% but if you are in a weakened immune system then it is very very possible to be affected by your cats viral issues... but it is 1% so unfortunately you can get sick if you are already sick but otherwise dont worry.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

stahlblu, I'd love to know if you have an actual source for that 1%. I've only read that it would be a different strain and can not be passed between species. Very curious!
Old 10-11-2009, 10:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Ill see if i can find it. When i was diagnosed with bronchitis and spitting up blood both of my cats had a serious upper respritory infection and i was online and found it on webmd or something similar. Ill see what I can find and post for you... but there is a upper respritory infection that a cat can give to humans ill tyry to get more info for you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement