Cat in a LOT of pain one week after spay - Update #2! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2009, 07:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat

Default Cat in a LOT of pain one week after spay - Update #2!

I posted this in behavior, but I'm clearly seeing that this is a health issue.

I had my cat spayed one week ago, and gave her pain meds once a day for three days. She seemed fine after I quit giving her the medicine. Eating, drinking, litter box usage was all normal. She was playing and her sweet friendly self. I tried to limit how much she jumped and ran around, but I can only do so much. She does not lick the incision excessively, and it looks clean.

Starting last night, she got a bit irritable. When the kitten tried to wrestle, she hissed. It was getting worse, and tonight, over just a few hours, she went from being mildly irritable to clearly in a lot of pain. She's literally limping, she moves her right leg very stiffly. She will not run or jump, she walks slowly and hunched. She growls/meows whenever I touch her abdomen or try to pick her up. She still has an appetite. My only thought is infection, but I Googled infections after spay surgery, and they all suggested that she'd have an puss-oozing wound. Hers is clean and seems to be healing normally.

She will be going to the vet first thing in the morning. Does anybody have any ideas? I'm really concerned.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Default Re: Cat in a LOT of pain one week after spay

Sounds to me like it even could be a blood clot, or some type of internal infection. I have never had a spayed female, but I imagine the site would be tender, but I imagine that the limping might be due to some sort of occlusion that's happened as she's begun to heal. The wound site really is just the tip of the iceberg. I'm no vet (but a med student!) so this is just my thought process.

Any thought about taking her temperature? Might give you an idea if she is fighting off something, although I feel like a normal appetite might suggest that there isn't an infection.

Nonetheless, I truly hope your kitty feels better soon and I definitely think you are right to get her to the vet!

-BP

"Perfect companions always have four feet"
Mom to ET (Age 4), Lacey (Age 1.5) and Cory (Over the Bridge <3, Aged 14)
ETrescued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat

I just called the emergency vet, and they think that as long as she's eating, drinking, using the litter box, and not constantly yowling in pain or throwing up, she should be fine until morning.

Sooo....off to the vet, my little Lua goes in the morning....for about the 5th time this month. She's lucky she's cute.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Let us know the outcome
asterix09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cat

I'll definitely let everyone know the outcome.

I was almost scared to open my eyes and look at her this morning, I was so afraid there might be a dead kitty next to me in bed But she hasn't gotten any worse since last night. She is still wide awake and alert, she even tries to bat at her toys. The first thing she did when we woke up was eat. I don't normally feed my cats right when I wake up, but she was meowing at her bowl, and I figure if she has the appetite while she's sick, she can get food whenever she wants it. So she's eaten, drank water, peed and pooped, walked around and batted her toy feebly, and is now licking up the leftovers from her bowl in the 15 minutes that we have been awake. I'd think that if it was something internal that was causing all this pain, she wouldn't be too keen on eating and drinking. She doesn't seem really weak or lethargic. She's doing her normal morning routine, just with a limp.

She's still gimpy. I almost want to take a video of it. She'll stand with her back kinda hunched up and tense, and then she'll hobble with her back right leg moving very stiffly. While she was laying down for bed last night, I was scratching her and she was purring. I took the opportunity to poke and prod a bit to figure out where the pain is. I could lightly pet down her back, but if I pushed too hard, she'd meow. If I lifted her right leg (she was laying on her side), she would meow. If I squeezed her right toes or foot she wasn't bothered. If I got anywhere near her tummy she would meow. Picking her up is painful for her. The incision is still clean and healthy. If she does have an infection, it's internal somewhere.

I just can't imagine what this would be. I was kind of wondering if injury was possible. But she started to show symptoms two nights ago. I picked her up and she meowed which is very atypical. I called her a grump and blew it off She seemed normal all day yesterday, running for food, jumping, etc. I was with her all day also, and I never saw a fall from furniture or anything (I don't have any high furniture to jump from). It was just almost instant, around 4pm. She went from being normal to meow/growling anytime I picked her up and limping around.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairienights
She's still gimpy. I almost want to take a video of it. She'll stand with her back kinda hunched up and tense, and then she'll hobble with her back right leg moving very stiffly. While she was laying down for bed last night, I was scratching her and she was purring. I took the opportunity to poke and prod a bit to figure out where the pain is. I could lightly pet down her back, but if I pushed too hard, she'd meow.
Yeah - this is NOT normal. Glad she's going to the vet and be sure to let us know ASAP!
hoofmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 12:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cat

Update!

I took her to the vet. I have mixed feelings....He took her temperature, and she had a slight temperature (a little over 103). He said the incision looked perfect. He poked and prodded at her abdomen and back and leg and picked her up and she didn't react. She's very calm at the vets, she'll purr when he scratches her, but naturally she was a bit on edge. So I think she was covering up some of the pain. We set her on the ground, and he could kind of see the gimp, but with her being nervous it was hard to get a good idea of her gait. And of course, she hopped right in my lap as if she wasn't hurting at all.

He concluded that she had a mild internal infection. He gave her a Convenia Injection (antibiotics) and gave me three days worth of Metacam pain medicine. He also said to not worry too much unless she loses her appetite or stops being alert. As it is, she's her happy self, just sore.

He specifically said that she may be exaggerating her pain in front of me to say "hey, I'm sore, I have a problem." Because she didn't act like she was in pain at all. At home, she could barely step into the litter box, at the vet, she hopped into my lap like it was nothing. Last night, if I touched the fur on her back, she'd growl/meow. We prodded around on her and she was purring and rubbing up to the vet like he was her best friend. Then, as soon as I got home, she started to hobble around like she was on her deathbead again .

So on one hand, I'm relieved that she's not a lost case, and I really hope the situation is fixed. On the other hand, I'm not convinced that was all that the problem was. But he's a good vet, and I trust him and he trusts me as an owner to sense when my cat needs help. He didn't even charge me...it was a $99 total, and I didn't have to pay anything.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Default Re: Cat in a LOT of pain one week after spay - Update!

I'm sorry that your girl was so "uncooperative" at the vet's in terms of displaying her symptoms. Hopefully this is something from which she will recover with rest and time.

Please, PLEASE research Metacam before you give her any of that med. It is NOT approved for oral use in cats, despite the fact that many vets use it off-label in that manner. It has been implicated in causing acute renal failure in a number of cats. IMO, it is an extremely unsafe and risky drug - certainly not one I will give to my own cats after having researched it myself.

Laurie
laurief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 12:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Yeah, I'd be VERY reluctant to give Metacam. Ditto laurie.

http://www.metacamkills.com/
hoofmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 04:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cat

Gosh, I didn't know about the Metacam thing. He gave her some today, and that's what I gave her for 3 days after her surgery I wouldn't have done it if I knew about all that.

Can I do anything to control her pain then? She's doing a lot better now, trotting around, super hungry, still sore, but not nearly as much. But of course, he gave her the Metacam which could be masking some symptoms. She does not and has not seemed sick. She hasn't been lethargic, just reluctant to move because of the pain. This entire time though, she has had a good appetite, used the litter box normally, been affectionate, and has even been playful (just not very active since she hurts).

Does anybody else have any ideas as to what this would be? Does infection sound right? If this was your cat, would you be satisfied with the Convenia shot? I have had 3 vets (fill in vet yesterday, emergency vet, and the vet today who actually examined her) tell me I shouldn't worry as long as she's eating and drinking normally and not throwing up or anything. What would you guys do?