grain free and inexpensive... wet food - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2009, 03:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default grain free and inexpensive... wet food

I am feeding Pinnacle dry and giving my fur babies.. small amount of wet food twice a day.. I usually buy Natural balance chicken and liver.. (old formula) and Tiki cat, Avo derm, Merrick, Solid Gold Tuna, all grain free... I was browsing down the isles at walmart and started reading labels.. Wholesome Goodness by shhhhhhhh dont tell anyone LOL.. Meow Mix seems to be grain free.. and I have been alternating one of those every 3 or 4th can.. and they love it.. any opinions on the food? I am feeding strictly grain free and this is fitting the bill and the pocket book..at .78 cents a container..and the cats tear it up! lol.. feedback please..
nwlily32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2009, 03:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Default Re: grain free and inexpensive... wet food

I couldn't find anything online w/ actual ingredients for Meow Mix canned so perhaps you could post them. But it's important to realize that it's not just "grain free" that matters -- it's high-quality ingredients. Cheap food is cheap b/c it has cheap ingredients. Lots on what the words on the can mean here:

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=main

This is about dog food but the requirements for what they are allowed to call what are the same.

More info: http://www.fao.org/Ag/AGA/AGAP/FRG/AFRIS/Data/316.HTM

The other thing is to do a TRUE cost comparison. How big is the .78 can? If it's this stuff

http://meowmix.com/wet-food.html#cb

it's 2.75 oz (enough for 1 cat for one meal). That comes out at 28 cents an oz.

Purchased by the case at Pet Food Direct, EVO 95% beef comes out at 13 cents an oz.

http://www.petfooddirect.com/store/prod ... HATSAW8915

So the EVO, purchased at Pet Food Direct in the large cans, is less than HALF as expensive as the Meow Mix, and about 400 times better.

Since most cats like their canned food fresh, open a can in the a.m., feed part of it, and then divide the rest into baggies, freezing whatever they will not eat today.

hoofmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

http://www.petco.com/product/107020/Meo ... oreCat=SBB

I think this will give the ingredients list.. Yeah I mostly buy the little cans.. and when you compare .78 vs. .99 and 1.29, 1.59 its definitely a little cheaper.. I mostly feed the good stuff.
nwlily32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Cat

For people really on a budget - Sophisticat (PetSmart) is grain free (reading the ingredients - not "officially") and .89/13oz can. I get my Aunt to buy this for her cats, because she's on a fixed income. Sadly, it wont be sold in Canada much longer.. but I think the US should still have it.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Ingredients:

Fish broth, tuna, whitefish, vegetables (carrots & peas) natural & artificial flavors, guar gum, cane sugar, salt, tricalcium phosphate, calcium sulfate, parsley, carrageenan, potassium chloride, vitamins (vitamin E supplement, thiamine mononitrate, niacin, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, vitamin A supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), folic acid, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), biotin, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin B12) minerals (zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, calcium iodide, sodium selenite), sodium nitrite (to promote color retention).

Here's the major things that jump out at me as negative about this food, lots of more minor things, but these would be the triggers that would make me avoid it:

1. First ingredient should be a protein, not water.
2. Artificial flavors....yuck
3. Cane sugar...cats don't need sugar added to their food
4. Menadione sodium bisulfite....a known carcinogen
5. Sodium nitrite....a known carcinogen

In addition, there's the whole human grade ingredients vs pet food grade...I buy foods made of human grade, I don't want my cats eating food made from 4D animals (dead, dying, disabled, & diseased), mold or bug infested, feces etc. Even human grade doesn't completely avoid it, but it's better than pet grade. Meow Mix doesn't use human grade ingredients, the top brands like Wellness, EVO etc. do...that's where your money goes, not to TV commercials with singing cats.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug
Meow Mix doesn't use human grade ingredients, the top brands like Wellness, EVO etc. do...that's where your money goes, not to TV commercials with singing cats.
But.. but.. but the jingle is so convincing!

I like chicken, I like liver...

... cough.

Honestly though, it's up to you, OP, if you decide this food is "good enough" for your cat, but at the end of the day you can't expect to get Evo/Wellness quality food for the cost of Iams.

If anyone asks, I'm studying.
KittyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
Premier Cat

nwlily32, do you have a Trader Joe's near you? They have good quality food (even as analyzed by our experts on Cat Forum) for only 59 cents a 5.5-ounce can. Unfortunately, you can't order it online or even buy it by the case in the store . . . you just buy a bunch of cans. Murphy has me on a Trader Joe's errand schedule every month or so.

Holly and Murphy
October is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I also learned the hard way that fish based foods can be horrible for your cats, after both of my girls developed bladder infections after an increased amount of fish based food. It was cleared up quickly in each case with antibiotics, but the total vet bills added up to more than what I spend in a year on premium food! (Evo, Wellness and Weruva) I realize some cats are fine with fish, but it's a better idea to avoid feeding them fish, as it can cause or exaggerate medical problems and end up costing you a lot more in the long run.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwlily32
http://www.petco.com/product/107020/Meow-Mix-Wholesome-Goodness-Cat-Cuisine-in-Broth.aspx?CoreCat=SBB

I think this will give the ingredients list.. Yeah I mostly buy the little cans.. and when you compare .78 vs. .99 and 1.29, 1.59 its definitely a little cheaper.. I mostly feed the good stuff.
?? But it's not cheaper. See my post above. You are paying MORE per ounce than you would for a better food.
hoofmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cat

I personally just bought two, 12 can cases of 13.2 oz EVO for my cat. Per oz, it cost me 16 cents. That is MUCH MUCH cheaper than any teeny can of crappy food. Think about it, with the tiny cans of food, you are paying a lot more for the packaging as opposed to the food. Big cans are a bargain, and feed quite a few meals (one 13.2 oz can is two days worth of meals for my one kitty). So those two cases, even though it cost me 51$ (came from a local pet food store that only stocks quality foods, so I don't ship food from pet food direct), will last me 48 days. It is costing me roughly 96 cents a day (he eats 6 oz divided into two meals) to feed him solely on that. And you are paying 78 cents for an entire, tiny, 2.75 ounce can of poor quality food. See how it is actually cheaper to feed a high quality food?
Stacykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement