Your thoughts and opinions on ORIJEN CAT FOOD - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2009, 05:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Your thoughts and opinions on ORIJEN CAT FOOD

Hello

I pick up my new kitten tomorrow apart from being very excited i am already considering her future with regards to food.

Presently she is fed on Royal Canin which is a great food but i am not keen on the way they make it and more importantly test it on animals prior to it being released on to the market.

I am consdiering changing her once a little older on to Orijen and i wondered what everyone's opinions of it are.

I know a few people who feed their dogs on the brand and they swear by it saying their dogs have never looked better. Infact i havn't heard a bad thing about the dog food but the cat food i am totally clueless about.

Thank you in advance for any answers

Julie
Maistaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2009, 10:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Default Re: Your thoughts and opinions on ORIJEN CAT FOOD

Orijen doesn't make a wet food, so that's an issue...cats need a diet that is primarily wet. Dry can be used as a supplement, but has the potential to cause a lot of problems down the road if it's the only food used. See the sticky at the top of this forum on why cats need wet food. Good info at these sites as well:

http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library
www.catinfo.org

The best brands of wet food are Wellness Core, Innova EVO imo. In addition regular Wellness, Innova, Natural Balance, Merrick, Holistic Select, Nature's Variety, California Natural and many more are all good, but that should get you started.

BTW, ingredients like corn, corn gluten meal, rice hulls make Royal Canin a poor food, but not as awful as something like Friskies.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maistaff
Presently she is fed on Royal Canin which is a great food but i am not keen on the way they make it and more importantly test it on animals prior to it being released on to the market.
Well, it's not a great food, actually. Ingredients are inappropriate for a carnivore. And ALL pet foods are "tested on animals" in that they must go through feeding trials.

As doodlebug said, dry food is not recommended for cats. Since you clearly want to do the best possible thing for your kitty, please consider switching her to a high-quality grain-free canned food (or going raw).
hoofmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

Thank you for your replies.

The Royal Canin is the food she has been wheened on to and not wanting to upset her too much what with moving home to mine i want to keep as much as possible the same e.g her diet

I am a great believer that all animals need meat be it in a wet food format or raw. I have tried feeding raw with my dogs BUT i found that i had no confidence in myself to get the balance right and as i both show and compete my dogs in agility i need to ensure their diet is the best i can offer them.

I have no objections to feeding my kitten raw chicken as i currently feed raw chicken wings to my dogs as an extra source of raw meat and bone. I also feed fish, tuna, mackeral, sardines etc to my dogs so again my kitten will also get fish added to her diet.

The Royal Canin or what ever dry food i chose will be the main part of her diet with my added meats. I will feed the wet food, again she gets Royal Canin wet food which i won't change for now but will investigate others once i have her home but with a steady introduction as again i don't want to upset her digestive system with too much change to her diet.

Thank you for the reference to the top of the forum as i will go and read the sticky on wet food
Old 12-23-2009, 11:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
The Royal Canin is the food she has been wheened on to and not wanting to upset her too much what with moving home to mine i want to keep as much as possible the same e.g her diet
Why? There is no benefit at all to keeping her on a poor, dry food.
Quote:
I am a great believer that all animals need meat be it in a wet food format or raw. I have tried feeding raw with my dogs BUT i found that i had no confidence in myself to get the balance right and as i both show and compete my dogs in agility i need to ensure their diet is the best i can offer them.
Well, come over to the raw forum and we'll help you. It's very simple, really, for both dogs and cats. I feed 3 dogs and 3 cats -- all raw.
Quote:
I have no objections to feeding my kitten raw chicken as i currently feed raw chicken wings to my dogs as an extra source of raw meat and bone. I also feed fish, tuna, mackeral, sardines etc to my dogs so again my kitten will also get fish added to her diet.
Fish is not a natural food for cats and can result in UTIs, etc. I feed fish maybe once every few weeks -- that's it. If you want to feed it, feed it in VERY small quantities, and make sure that it is not canned fish but raw. But generally, avoid it.
Quote:
The Royal Canin or what ever dry food i chose will be the main part of her diet with my added meats. I will feed the wet food, again she gets Royal Canin wet food which i won't change for now but will investigate others once i have her home but with a steady introduction as again i don't want to upset her digestive system with too much change to her diet.
Well, I don't recommend having dry food as the "main part" of the diet (or any part). And again--take a look at the ingredients in that food. ICK!

You are worrying too much about upsetting the digestive system. Cats change foods all the time and manage just fine. If you are really worried, just mix some of the old with some of the new, and over the course of a few days, reduce the old food and increase the new. Being worried about change is not a good reason to keep feeding a poor food . . .

I also don't recommend mixing raw and commercial. It is easy to feed a balanced raw diet, but if you are mixing raw and commercial, it is very easy to UNbalance things.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
I know I'm nitpicking here, but I'm really confused as to why you would find this an issue. Personally I'd be more concerned if they didn't test it on animals before release. I can understand if you are against animal testing on human products, but... How can you be sure if a product for cats is safe for cats if it's not given to cats prior to release? This just doesn't make sense to me. Surely it's better for a company to give a food to cats in a secure environment rather than release it to the public without knowing?

If anyone asks, I'm studying.
KittyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 03:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyMonster
Quote:
I know I'm nitpicking here, but I'm really confused as to why you would find this an issue. Personally I'd be more concerned if they didn't test it on animals before release. I can understand if you are against animal testing on human products, but... How can you be sure if a product for cats is safe for cats if it's not given to cats prior to release? This just doesn't make sense to me. Surely it's better for a company to give a food to cats in a secure environment rather than release it to the public without knowing?

Maybe you are and maybe you are not, it is a valid question which i will answer

I am not an animal rights person in any way shape or form however i have standrads and i will not promote or support any compnay that promotes any kind of cruel animal testing

Please read the link

http://www.uncaged.co.uk/petfood.htm
Old 12-23-2009, 03:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I repeat: you seem unaware that ALL pet foods are "tested" on animals via feeding trials.

If you truly want to avoid it, feed raw only. Otherwise, that's just how it is.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoofmaiden
Quote:
Why? There is no benefit at all to keeping her on a poor, dry food.

In all honesty i am taking her from her litter mates and moving her in to a home with 3 dogs and i will be moving home having just bought a property due to exchange in January so its going to be quite an upheaval so i plan to keep as much consistant as i can until things settle down and then i will start to change things. ALos to be honest no matter what i may or may not think of the food the breeders cats look amazing on it and it certinaly has done none of them any harm with her gaining many titles in the showing circuit.

Quote:
Well, come over to the raw forum and we'll help you. It's very simple, really, for both dogs and cats. I feed 3 dogs and 3 cats -- all raw.

Raw is something i dabble in but really have no confidence to do full time. I don't mind feeding one day in three but i can't see me feeding raw full time.

[quote:2bk3jggc]I have no objections to feeding my kitten raw chicken as i currently feed raw chicken wings to my dogs as an extra source of raw meat and bone. I also feed fish, tuna, mackeral, sardines etc to my dogs so again my kitten will also get fish added to her diet.
Fish is not a natural food for cats and can result in UTIs, etc. I feed fish maybe once every few weeks -- that's it. If you want to feed it, feed it in VERY small quantities, and make sure that it is not canned fish but raw. But generally, avoid it.
Quote:
Well, I don't recommend having dry food as the "main part" of the diet (or any part). And again--take a look at the ingredients in that food. ICK!

I totally agree that in dry food the ingredients are not the best hence why i was considering Orijen as the ratio of protein to carbs is very different than that in conventional foods.

You are worrying too much about upsetting the digestive system. Cats change foods all the time and manage just fine. If you are really worried, just mix some of the old with some of the new, and over the course of a few days, reduce the old food and increase the new. Being worried about change is not a good reason to keep feeding a poor food . . .

Yes i am worrying but rather that than not. i find all to many people don't give their animals a second thought and feed then total crap which is mainly water based with no nutritional value at all all because the packet says it the best food. I like to take my time and research to ensure that what i do is the best i can not only for my pet but also for me.

I also don't recommend mixing raw and commercial. It is easy to feed a balanced raw diet, but if you are mixing raw and commercial, it is very easy to UNbalance things.[/quote:2bk3jggc]

Thank you for your post as i appreciate your answers and questions
Old 12-23-2009, 03:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Yes i am worrying but rather that than not. i find all to many people don't give their animals a second thought and feed then total crap which is mainly water based with no nutritional value at all all because the packet says it the best food. I like to take my time and research to ensure that what i do is the best i can not only for my pet but also for me.
Well, I can't say that I agree that you've done much research. I don't mean to be rude, but the fact is that almost ANY canned food, even stuff that I would prefer never to feed, is still better than any dry food. The food SHOULD have a high (70%) water content b/c that is what cats require for good health. Again, cats need to get most of their water from their food. If they are not doing so, they are dehydrated. You will see them drinking, but they will not be taking in enough. The long-term consequences of feeding kibble include UTIs, crystals/blockages, kidney disease, diabetes, etc.

If you'd like to do serious research on this issue, here are some links to start with.

http://www.catinfo.org/

http://www.maxshouse.com/feline_nutrition.htm

http://www.blakkatz.com/dryfood.html

http://www.littlebigcat.com/?action=lib ... cannedfood

I agree that "worrying" is a good idea -- most of us here are VERY concerned about our cats' health and well-being. But IMHO you are worrying about the wrong things. Worry about chronic low-grade dehydration and grains/potatoes, etc. fed to an obligate carnivore -- those are things worth worrying about!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement