My cat ate foam!! Need your advice and help.. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2010, 07:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default My cat ate foam!! Need your advice and help..

Hi Guys,

My cat ate some pieces of foam, I'm a bit worried he doesn't look too great, but just a few hours ago he puked out the pieces, I don't know if there are anymore.. I can't take him to the vet right now since its saturday and its already 6PM.. so its closed.. Is there anything I can do to help?? He's sleeping right now.. Its strange in the morning I just looked at his eyes and I felt something was wrong.. he has puked about 3 times... and the pieces came out..

He basically ate something similar to this. I don't know where it came from..

Is there anything I can do?
Yamcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2010, 08:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Default Re: My cat ate foam!! Need your advice and help..

If he isn't acting right he may have a blockage and needs to go to the emergency vet right now. This can be life treatening very quickly and there is nothing you can do at home.
Good luck!!
Old 01-03-2010, 07:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat

Poor guy, please let us know if he's ok
ShAzZa_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I agree with a vet visit. Emergency vet if you need to.

At first, only reading the title and waiting for the post to come up, I didn't think it sounded too bad at all. One of my cats regularly ate my husbands foam ear-plugs. Ugh! I was CONSTANTLY picking those things up behind him. He knew she would eat them, but he'd come home tired and just empty his pants pockets in a pile and not think to fish out the ear plugs...but Mousie would! It was like she had radar for locating them, or something. I cannot begin to count how many times I either took one away from her or scooped it out of the litterbox.

BUT...the foam pieces of the picture you showed look firmer than the pliable ear plugs my Mousie would eat. Keep a SHARP eye on him. I *hope* the vomitting was simply his stomach complaining about the foreign stuff and he sicked it all up and out of him. IF pieces got into his system, and IF he remains sick-looking or lethargic, and IF he begins to refuse food/water and even IF he is just slightly 'off' ... there is the possibility one of these firm pieces has lodged somewhere and his vomitting is a sign that his waste cannot progress beyond it, and that will be an emergency situation.
Please keep us updated...

*closes eyes to send good thoughts and healing wishes for your kitty*
Heidi n Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premier Cat

The only answer we can give you is to take him to the emergency vet. I'm so sorry you're having this problem. Please go now; don't wait until morning. I wish you the best.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Jeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Hope he's ding okay. Any news??
Old 01-04-2010, 10:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Kitten

I took him to the vet, it looks like there is no blockage, which is great, but the vet says it might be bladder infection (cystitis), she prescribe Diazepam, but I'm a bit irritated because I payed $355 and there hasn't been any results, I feel like getting my money back. Tomorrow If my Cat doesn't get any better she recommended to get blood work done.. I don't mind spending money on my cat but I want results, not maybes =/.. Anyway she also prescribed food thats supposed to aid in preventing cystitis, honestly she didn't give me a straight answer, she said there are signs that it may be bacterial cystitis (bladder infection).. Anyway I'm really hoping he gets better.. I will wait till tommorow and see, as of now he hasn't eaten or drank, the vet actually hydrated him though, I will force feed him water so he doesn't get dehydrated, I can't do much about the food part, but hoping he gets hungry and eats something..

By the way, do all vets charge the same?

Oh and i should mention, the doctor did give him a shot for the pain he was experiencing, he is actually looking better, but still waiting for him to eat something
Old 01-04-2010, 10:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Premier Cat

No, I don't think they do. I believe tests on your cat were in order. Diazepam is a tranquilizer, an anti-anxiety medication. I don't know what effect it would have on cystitiis. Personally, I think you were robbed.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Kitten

Yeah, my dad said the same, I think i may go to another vet.. I just gave him some food and he looks hungry, because he came up to smell the food, but hes not eating it, I gave him some from my finger he licked it but again still refuses to eat..
Old 01-04-2010, 11:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Premier Cat

If you change vets, let you old vet know why. Maybe some other cat will get a more complete exam and diagnosis, and her owner won't have to eat Ramen noodles for a month.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement