Cat ate yarn - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2010, 01:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Default Cat ate yarn

Hey all.

My cat Mekong just threw up a good chunk of yarn. I'd say probably a couple feet of it. I had to cut the strand coming out of his throat so there's definitely more in his stomach. I'm about to go buy some petroleum jelly to give him, and I have all day off work tomorrow so I can be around to watch him.

What are the danger signs I need to be watching for, and is there anything else I can do to help him? Should I still feed him his dinner?

Thanks. I'm pretty worried.

artistry by ForJazz
faile is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2010, 01:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Default Re: Cat ate yarn

Here's a thread about cats eating inappropriate things:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=63472&p=629293
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKitties
Keep an eye on her eating and eliminating for a couple of days. If she's eating and drinking without throwing up, and she's pooping, she's probably just fine and it'll pass on its own. If she starts throwing up regularly or isn't pooping, get her to the vet ASAP. My Fergie ate about eight inches of braided yarn last year, and it had to be surgically removed. If I had waited another day, she might have died from her intestines being ripped apart. I've now learned to keep ANY object with strings or feathers put away where she can't get it, and I cut the tails off of those toy mice. You also want to make sure to keep small objects that can be swallowed out of her reach - Fergie's eaten earplugs and hairties, and she'll swallow just about anything. It's scary at times, when you can't find something small and you think she's eaten it, but be diligent and you and your kitty will be happy and healthy!
Hopefully, someone will post with advice about what to do at this stage. I hope everything turns out okay.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
http://www.catforum.com/forum/member...signature2.jpg
marie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Thanks for the link. The piece that he got out is something like, 6 ft long. Crazy cat. He seems a bit more subdued than normal but doesn't seem to be in any discomfort.

artistry by ForJazz
Old 01-04-2010, 02:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

My apologies, but I think Mekong needs to go to an Emergency Vet right now.
Reasons:
He threw up six feet of yarn. TWO YARDS!
He is acting 'subdued'.
You had to cut the yarn so you *know* there is *more* inside.

IF a quick vomit of 2 yards of string would have put him right, I do not think 'subdued' would be an issue at all. If my kitties hack up a hairball, or food from eating too fast, they are perfectly normal in under a minute.

I would NOT want to take a chance on God-knows-how-long-a-piece-of-yarn is still in there and trying to hope it all comes out okay in the end. Vet. Now. For an exam and possible medical observation with treatment available immediately in case of The Worst.
This is something that I find SCARY and I would not want to wait-and-see.
If at all possible, this needs to come out the way it went in, maybe the vet can anesthetize Mekong and fish it out. Surgery may be required. Mekong may be able to pass it on his own, but if 8" of string almost killed a cat, I would hate to think what an unknown length could do. Trying to help it through his digestive system could saw his intestines in pieces. Time is of the essence, here.

Wishing you and Mekong great luck!
Old 01-04-2010, 02:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I already called the emergency vet. She said it'd be fine to wait until morning and take him to my normal vet, unless he starts vomiting more. I'm always up late anyway, so I'll be keeping a close eye on him for the next several hours and waking up early to get him in. By subdued I just mean he isn't insanely running around everywhere or attacking random bits of paper, he isn't really moping about or anything.

artistry by ForJazz
Old 01-04-2010, 03:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Whew! Okay! I'm glad you spoke w/ E-vet and they aren't worried AND I'm also glad you clarified the subdued part. I'm also a night owl. Midnight for you, but its' after 3am here and I need to get to bed, or I'd 'stay up with you'.
Please let us know how he does? I'll be sure to check first thing when I get up.
heidi
Old 01-04-2010, 03:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cat Addict

The vet said the main problem is not knowing how much yarn is still in there, 2 inches or another 2 feet? He drank some water, and she said it was ok to let him eat something and he was happy for dinner, so I guess his stomach must not be troubling him too much, but he isn't quite as silly as he usually is. Oh well. Waiting is always the fun part. I'll definitely update tomorrow.

Here's hoping he won't need surgery, I'm already scraping pennies just to pay bills. I would've had that credit card paid off in another paycheck, too. Sigh.

artistry by ForJazz
Old 01-04-2010, 09:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cat

How did the cat get into so much yarn?
MelissaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaC
How did the cat get into so much yarn?
Oooooh, these kittehs, they can get into sooo many things!

I had to learn The Scary Way to keep my serger boxed or put away.
Mousie was known for chewing/eating threads. She had created an area on the lower mattress where she had pulled out several long threads. She didn't *eat* the threads, she liked to hook her claws into the threads, pull them tight and then run her face along them ... but also run her teeth through them. I *swear* it was like she was flossing!
Anyhow, I was *very* careful to keep ALL threaded needles put AWAY and to cover my serger, which has a lot of enticing threads, but I must have not covered it well enough, one day. My scare happened when I walked into the hall and sort of 'tripped' over a thead. The thread was coming from my Serger in the bedroom, to the doorway (15') and down the hallway and into the living room (18'). That was more than 30' she had unraveled! The reason it was stretched between the two places was because she had the end of it in her MOUTH and she ran with it to the LR and it unspooled as she ran.
I quietly walked up to her and held her while I grasped the thread at her mouth and gently pulled it free. She did seem relieved to have it out of her mouth. I am certain she didn't want to eat it, I think she only wanted to 'floss' on it, but the thread kept unraveling and wouldn't pull tight so she kept backing up, hoping to pull it tight but it just kept unspooling until she was in the LR and didn't know what to do with all that string. I am *very* glad I was able to prevent her from eating it.
After that experience, I sewed a serger cover that protected the machine and all of its' threads.
Accidents happen, and we simply have to learn from them and take better precautions in the future.
h =^..^=
Old 01-04-2010, 01:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Although my experience with animals swallowing things involves a dog. I think it's probably the same. I had another dog (in my past), swallow a peach pit. He wasn't vomiting and wasn't pooping. So that is a sign that something is stuck in there. But with you not knowing exactly how much was swallowed, it is a good idea to get to the vet to have an xray.

You have to be so careful with them! Depending on personality, cats/dogs will eat anything! I'm not sure if you can teach a cat, but because my dog eats everything on the floor, I've trained him to drop anything in his mouth on command. Sigh, if only cats can be trainable like that!
Alpaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement