Cat has some kind of scabs in his fur - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2010, 04:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Cat has some kind of scabs in his fur

Before I'm running to the vet I would like to ask what this can be over here.

My cat has these pieces of scab stuck on his skin on his neck and shoulders. There's no holes in his fur and his fur looks excellent. Just this scab everywhere. You don't even see it exept when it gets loose. I've been using a comb to rub it off, it just comes clean of and there are no wounds or any skin abnormalities underneath the scab I remove...

It's the weirdist thing! I really thought my dog had just bit to hard when playing because the scab looks like dried blood but there are no wounds underneath....

Cats have only a limited amount of diseases I guess so I hope someone here can tell me what this is?! It's really more like blood has fallen into his fur and dried up it's strange...
Paul36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2010, 07:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Default Re: Cat has some kind of scabs in his fur

If the scabs are close to the skin, they are probably cuts that are healing and the scabs are lifting away. I know, over the holidays my cats were confined to a guest bedroom at my parents' house and the cats got cabin fever and started ripping into each other. It wasn't until a week after we got home that the scabs started lifting off when I was petting one or the other of my cats. These cuts may not be big enough to see through the fur but will cause scabs that you will feel as they begin to heal.

It could be something else, but that is my experience.

It may be best to see the vet just in case though.
raecarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I've had two cats who got those little scab-things. Marmalade (1996-200 and Malibu (2002-current). Both would get them over their rump, in front of their tail. For Marmalade, I had always thought it was a flea allergy even though I've only ever seen fleas on our cats ...maybe... twice? Three times at most? Marmy would get those little bumps so I'd treat with Revolution and badda-boom, badda-bing = gone! Malibu had developed those just over a year ago and I found that when I eliminated her kitty-crack (grocery store dry-catfood) treat, it cleared up, so that was a food allergy and I wonder now if Marmy had a food allergy, too.
I have also heard of two cats wrestling vigorously being able to scratch each other ... but Malibu and Shadow wrestle-play and roll all over the floor, teeth and claws flying as they play and I would expect to see/feel many scratches on both of them ... but I never have ... so I don't think that is what caused the scabs for my kitties, and I'll vote for the #1 cause of those tiny scabs with little tufts of fur attached to be: allergy. Most likely a food allergy.
May I ask what kind/type/brand the kitty is being fed?
heidi =^..^=
Old 01-20-2010, 12:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi n Q
I've Both would get them over their rump, in front of their tail.
Both my cats had these scabs with hair attached on their necks and shoulders just like the OP's cat. The reason why my cats have the scabs there is because that is where they most often bite and scratch each other. The scabs have since fallen out and I have not found any new ones. I was thinking the OPs case is similar to mine because my parents' dogs mainly bites my cat (Teddy, the only one who interacts with the dogs) on the neck shoulders and ears.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Yup! I read about your boys' getting on each others' last nerve when being confined to the one room at your folks' house. My kitties with the rump-bumps is the only thing I've experienced. I thought it odd that my kitties who do wrestle vigorously and daily don't get those bumps on their neck/shoulders, especially with how rough they play. ...but maybe they just aren't playing as rough as a Bengal can. I've got me some wimpy kitties!
Old 01-20-2010, 01:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi n Q
I've got me some wimpy kitties!
Yeah, little wimps that scream bloody murder every time they wrestle
Old 01-20-2010, 01:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cat

Salem had those really bad when we first got him. He's our DLH blue boy. His coat completely hid them, but if we ran our hands down his back, there were scabs all over, but the worst were on his neck down to his shoulders. His problem, though, was from fleas. His previous owner wanted to place him because she had gotten in over her head with too many animals and she said that she had been having a horrible time getting rid of the fleas. This boy had been getting flea baths constantly. Now he is flea free and all of the scabs are gone.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:14 AM   #8 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Hey.. when i first brought my kitten home she had little scabs all around her body and behind her ears.. & i brought her to the vet to see what's wrong and the vet gave me an antiseptic cleanser (chlorhex cleanser), was supposed to clean her scabs two times a day.. she said it was probably due to the environment or the food she had from where she came from.
and it would slowly come off and her skin would heal cos cats rarely have skin problems.. im feeding her wellness combination now & after applying the antiseptic the scabs healed fairly quickly and i gotta make sure the places she plays around are cleaned everyday.. sometimes they might go into places that are really dusty or something and the skin reacts to it
hope this helps!
himikitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:19 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Cleo had the exact same thing, but I was pretty sure it was from Cali and Charlee jumping on her. Their nails needed to be trimmed, and it was right after I went back to work, which made me sad because I wasn't there for her. I don't think they mean to pick on her, that's just how the twins play with each other.

I almost took her to the vet, but I decided to wait and see. It cleared up after a few weeks.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
http://www.catforum.com/forum/member...signature2.jpg
marie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I took it all off with a comb and gave him a shower (complete drama). Like I said all over his shoulders, neck and throat. It has been gone for 2 days now I think but today the first spot was there again along with offcourse a little scratch this time. It's either he himself scratching to hard (it wouldn't surprise me with those razor sharp and hard raw fed claws) or the dog who always bites him in these places and drags him around the room.

I'm sure it's no disease or lack in nutrition thank god!
Paul36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement