Bladder Control Issues - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2010, 06:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Bladder Control Issues

I have a senior cat who is roughly around 10 years old and she has been having a few issues the past few months. I can tell she is losing her vision, hearing, and is now losing control of her bladder and losing weight. Everything has been slowly starting over the past few months, but it seems to be progressing faster in the last month or two.

She hasn't been using her litter box for awhile now and after trying many different things I've just decided to keep my cleaning supplies near. I can deal with the accidents I just don't know what to do with her having a lack of bladder control now. Most of the time now she pee's while walking, sleeping, and just sitting there and she doesn't seem to even realize it. She has also has lost a lot of weight in the last 2 months and is pretty skinny and It's starting to worry me. She has always been more of a plump cat and now she has no fat on her body and mostly sleeps.

I'm going to go ahead and set up a vet appointment for her but our vet only comes in town twice a month so I was hoping to get some advice until then. She seems to be happy and she doesn't appear to be a "sick" cat, still enjoying attention, she just doesn't seem to no longer mentally be there. I've also talked to a few people who have dealt with more senior cats then I have and they said it doesn't sound like its a urinary infection or disease because the urine would be dark colored or abnormal and that most likely her age has just caught up with her.

I've also tried other foods to try and get her more interested in eating and it seems the wet food I just got for her is giving her more of an interest to eat (though still not eating much) Do you think this is more of a case of her age catching up with her or does this sound like more then just age? I feel in my gut and from talking to other people that is more of her age, and if this is just a result of her age what would be the best possible ways to help with the bladder and eating issues?

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciate!

P.S Don't know if this will help but her age is just an estimate. I adopted her about 2 - 2.5 years ago and the shelter guessed she was around 8/9 at the time.
JennyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2010, 07:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Default Re: Bladder Control Issues

Hi and welcome.
Your kitty sure sounds like she's in rough shape and needs to see a vet as soon as possible. In fact, it sounds like she should have gotten checked out a few months ago. Isn't there another vet you can get to?
It could be a urinary tract infection. I'm not sure why you've ruled that out. Or she could be diabetic which would explain vision loss, weight loss and excessive peeing.
Ten years is not particularly old for a cat at all so, unless you are way off with her age, something else is going on. Hopefully, you can get her to the vet soon and get her treated.
Good luck!
Old 02-06-2010, 10:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

I agree. I think kitty needs the vet now rather than in a week or two. Illness seems to start out very slow in cats and it is a lot of times too late to save kitty when people wait for vet care. I would say that it sounds like more than a Urinary Tract Infection. Especially since kitty is peeing while walking around and doesn't seem to notice.

Nicki - Mar 2007, Male
Muffy - July 2007, Female
Peter - Mar 2008, Male
Pawprints - Apr 2008, Male
Footprints - Apr 2008, Female
Midnight - Oct 2008, Male
Wayytooblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

If this were a 16 or 18 year old cat, I would say that maybe these things could be attributed to age. But even at that age, most issues have an underlying cause and are not just due to age degeneration. In human years a 10 year old cat is like the equivalent of a 50 year old, so unless the age estimate was really off (and if could be) there's no reason to attribute this to age.

I agree that this cat needs to see a vet sooner than later, if there's another vet available I would do that. Hopefully this hasn't been let go so long that it's not reversible, although I suspect that's the case.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 03:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

Thank you for all the responses I really appreciate it!

I would take her to vet as soon as possible but we live in the middle of no where. The nearest city is a 3.5 - 4hr drive. We do have a vet out here but he only comes out here twice a month, if that, and he isn't going to be in town until his next visit which is the 17th. I've set up an appointment for on the 17th to have her checked out.

I really hope the poor girl doesn't have something more major, I would feel horrible! I was assuming everything was more from age then anything serious, because when I adopted her from vegas the shelter warned me that she is a senior cat with senior issues.
When I got her I really felt that she was older then the 8 years the shelter had down on paper, honestly if I would of guessed at the time I would of thought she was easily 10. (though I'm not a vet)

I also didn't mean to rule out a urinary infection I just meant to say that I didn't think that was the issue, but it very well can be. I was told though that if it was a urinary infection that her pee would be darker in colour and it would have a strong smell to it. Which the reason I was thinking It wasn't is because her urine is completely opposite. Its almost completely clear with only a slight yellowing and it actually doesn't smell much at all. Do you know how much of this is true with a urinary infection? If it is a urinary infection what can I give her to help her out until the vet visit?
JennyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement