How To Make "Tuna Water" - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2010, 09:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default How To Make "Tuna Water"

If your cat ever NEEDS extra water because he's not drinking enough, or he's going through a battle with crystals and you need to hydrate him as much as possible, here's a method for making high quality tuna water that not only serves the purpose, but will also be a real treat for your kitty.

- Use 1 can of Solid White Albacore Tuna packed in water (the stuff that we humans consume).

- Add about 6 ounces of distilled water (because it doesn't have minerals and therefore won't contribute to urethra blockage issues) to a small food processor along with the Albacore. I use a Black and Decker EHC650 that's purrfect for this:

http://www.retrevo.com/samples/Black...Processor.html

- Chop the heck out of it.

- Keep adding distilled water as you grind until the mixture is very dilute and has a golden tan-whitish color.

- Serve up to kitties in 2 ounce servings so they gobble it all down at once. *I use small stainless steel serving saucers for this (they hold 2 ounces and I got them at Target).

- Store unused portion in the refrig and use within a few days. *As the tuna particles settle in the container, you can add more water and swirl around before serving.

Please see these posts for related information:

http://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.ph...674490#p674490

http://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.ph...stitis+In+Cats

Old 06-08-2010, 01:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Default Re: How To Make "Tuna Water"

question.... what if you dont have a food processor???
Claiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat

Use a blender? I would Assume.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Yes a blender on liquify will do the trick, but you're making more of a mess with the blender, it's harder to clean out, and it doesn't come with a built in storage container like the B&D food processor. However, in a pinch, it will work the same as a smaller food processor.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I prefer to avoid feeding tuna (esp. albacore which has much higher mercury levels than chunk light tuna in water), so I just drain off the water in which chunk light tuna is packed, then dilute it at least 10:1 with plain tap water. My cats love to drink up the diluted tuna water that way.

Laurie
laurief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Thanks Laurie. I'm glad that works for you. I tried that with Light Chunk, and wouldn't you know it, one cats didn't like the flavor as much and didn't touch it, and the other drank just a little and stopped. For some reason, like humans, I suppose they like the "good stuff".

I know about the mercury, but that's another reason why I only give them this special treat every few weeks at the most, or I use it as a remedy for a crystal problem that demands immediate intervention.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cool Cat

So, for 'virgin tuna water' kitties who dont know the difference... which is overall healthier for them if i were to use this as a hydration helper - once in a while? maybe once every couple weeks?

I cant stand tuna but i think my mom buys the light stuff, in water.
Claiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claiken
So, for 'virgin tuna water' kitties who dont know the difference... which is overall healthier for them if i were to use this as a hydration helper - once in a while? maybe once every couple weeks?

I cant stand tuna but i think my mom buys the light stuff, in water.
Well I'd try it FIRST with the light tuna instead of the albacore. Of course whatever you use make sure it's packed in water, not oil.

One advantage of using the albacore is that it has higher amounts of methionine but as it was pointed out here, it also has some small levels of mercury in it. I don't have a choice to use anything but the albacore since my guys are finicky and yes, I may have spoiled them by using this first instead of trying the light chunk.

For using as a hydration helper, you get about 6-8 servings (2 ounce) from using one 6 ounce can of tuna, which for my two cats they drink it all up in 2 days. So I basically give this to them on weekends, but not religiously every week.

It's difficult to say whether once in a while or more consistent is better for increasing their hydration. It really depends on how much water they drink on their own, how much water they're getting from their wet food portion (I add a little water to the canned food at night), how much the A/C is run in the home (A/C dries out the air in the summer and drier air/low humidity may be present in the winter), how much they run around, etc etc etc.

For my two guys I give them tuna water (from albacore) every few weeks along with a little methionine addition and they seem to do pretty well on this. They are on a 50-50 dry/wet diet. Yeah, I'm a little concerned about the mercury level in the tuna, but for me I think the benefits far outweigh the possible downside.