Blue Buffalo Wilderness canned - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2010, 06:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 14
Default Blue Buffalo Wilderness canned

I'm currently getting ready to switch my brother's cat from Purina Pro Plan canned food to Blue Buffalo canned food. He had a urinary blockage about 1 year ago & I've finally convinced my brother that his cat (Sinatra) really needs to be on wet food. I've spoken to 2 Blue Buffalo representatives and both have told me that Blue Buffalo Wilderness would be too high in protein, however I could've sworn that I've read somewhere that a higher protein food would be better, even for a cat that had a urinary blockage. Would Blue Buffalo Wilderness be ok to use as well or no?

Also, I've heard that seafood flavors (salmon, tuna, seafood) are not recommended flavors to use for a cat that's prone to urinary blockages. Is this true?

I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!
no3yshhc0la is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-26-2010, 09:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tom Cat
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 415
Default Re: Blue Buffalo Wilderness canned

My cat has FLUTD, and is very prone to UTI's and crystal formations. I will just give you some information about a diet for a cat with these problems, the same diet my cat is currently on.

First off, NO fish ingredients are allowed, only fish OIL is ok. They have higher levels of magnesium and phosphorus, which is bad for a cat with urinary health issues. ALWAYS read the ingredients of a food before you buy it, and make sure it does not contain any sort of fish or fish meal, even if it is de-boned.

Personally, my cats did not like the Blue Wilderness cans at all, and they are pretty expensive, you can give them a try, but I know of 9 cats who did not like Blue Wilderness (I gave my leftover cans to friends with cats, and non of their cats would eat it) but yours could be different.

Feed AT LEAST 50% canned food everyday, and to make the cat get even more water intake, squish the canned food and add a bit of water, squish it again, and keep adding water until it is a soupy consistency (if you add a lot of water at once, it seperates and is more chunky), that is what I do with my cats. Really good food brands you can try are : Natural Balance, Wellness Core, Evo 95%, Ziwipeak, Holistic Select, Performatrin Ultra and regular Performatrin (this is a pet valu brand, in Canada. not sure where you live), Before Grain, Merricks, and there are a few more but I can't think of them. It is best to go for grain free canned foods, but I do feed the Holistic Select which does have rice in it, but its part of my rotation so they dont get it a lot.
It is best to also not free feed, because otherwise the cat just grazes when they are bored, and when you let them feel truly hungry and then give them the canned food, they will eat it, and their urine naturally acidifies also. If you have any other questions you can ask me, but I think I covered the basics. Iv been going through this with my older cat for 3 years now, so I have done my research. And she has been UTI and crystal free for just over a year now - I feed only canned food though, mixed with lots of extra water. No dry whatsoever.
KatBudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Kitten
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 14
Default Re: Blue Buffalo Wilderness canned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatBudz
My cat has FLUTD, and is very prone to UTI's and crystal formations. I will just give you some information about a diet for a cat with these problems, the same diet my cat is currently on.

First off, NO fish ingredients are allowed, only fish OIL is ok. They have higher levels of magnesium and phosphorus, which is bad for a cat with urinary health issues. ALWAYS read the ingredients of a food before you buy it, and make sure it does not contain any sort of fish or fish meal, even if it is de-boned.

Personally, my cats did not like the Blue Wilderness cans at all, and they are pretty expensive, you can give them a try, but I know of 9 cats who did not like Blue Wilderness (I gave my leftover cans to friends with cats, and non of their cats would eat it) but yours could be different.

Feed AT LEAST 50% canned food everyday, and to make the cat get even more water intake, squish the canned food and add a bit of water, squish it again, and keep adding water until it is a soupy consistency (if you add a lot of water at once, it seperates and is more chunky), that is what I do with my cats. Really good food brands you can try are : Natural Balance, Wellness Core, Evo 95%, Ziwipeak, Holistic Select, Performatrin Ultra and regular Performatrin (this is a pet valu brand, in Canada. not sure where you live), Before Grain, Merricks, and there are a few more but I can't think of them. It is best to go for grain free canned foods, but I do feed the Holistic Select which does have rice in it, but its part of my rotation so they dont get it a lot.
It is best to also not free feed, because otherwise the cat just grazes when they are bored, and when you let them feel truly hungry and then give them the canned food, they will eat it, and their urine naturally acidifies also. If you have any other questions you can ask me, but I think I covered the basics. Iv been going through this with my older cat for 3 years now, so I have done my research. And she has been UTI and crystal free for just over a year now - I feed only canned food though, mixed with lots of extra water. No dry whatsoever.

Thank you for your reply.

I've been back and fourth about whether I still want to give him a little bit of dry food or not. We do not free feed him. He gets 2 cans total throughout the day (3 oz. cans) 1/2 in the morning & afternoon and then a whole can in the evening. Usually in the afternoon he gets 2 small spoonfuls of dry. The only reason he's still getting dry is because he basically had dry food his entire life and really likes it. We only just started feeding him canned food after he had a blockage. Since starting him on canned food, he definitely drinks a lot less water than he used to. Does dry food help their teeth at all? He's getting Blue Buffalo dry food and REALLY likes it. In the afternoon when we do both, he usually goes for the Blue food first over the Pro Plan canned. I know it has cranberries in it which helps with urinary issues, but I also know that he really shouldn't be getting dry at all. Would 2 small spoonfuls a day really cause that much harm if he's getting 2 3oz. cans a day?

I'm still going to try the Blue Wilderness with him as well as the regular Blue Buffalo canned food. I call my brother's cat a "food wh*re" because he ALWAYS seems to be hungry. He was slightly overweight & has been on a diet. He's doing well and has lost weight. It's been a slow process but he's getting so much better & he typically eats just about anything.
no3yshhc0la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tom Cat
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 415
Default Re: Blue Buffalo Wilderness canned

Dry food does not help clean the teeth at all, the food doesnt reach the back of the mouth when the cat chews it, and a cats jaw only goes up and down, so they dont get a ''brushing action''. My friend took a 2 year animal nutrition course in university, and she told me that cranberries do not actually help a cat with urinary issues, that it is not effective in their bodies. I don't see the harm in feeding such a small amount of dry at night, however Blue Wilderness dry food does have fish in it, so I personally wouldnt be feeding it.
KatBudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premier Cat
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 3,985
Default Re: Blue Buffalo Wilderness canned

Ditto re: dry food does NOT "clean the teeth." Nothing does except a raw diet, tooth brushing, or a dental.

Here is some great info on FLUTD, diet, etc:

http://www.catinfo.org/feline_urinary_tract_health.htm

And yes, avoid fish!
hoofmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 20,415
Default Re: Blue Buffalo Wilderness canned

Having a cat with a fish intolerance, I can tell you there are only a handful of fish-free dry foods (of the high quality dry foods):

Holistic Select Duck & Oatmeal
California Natural Chicken & Rice
Before Grain Chicken
Natural Balance Green Pea & Chicken or Duck
__________________


And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premier Cat
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 3,985
Default Re: Blue Buffalo Wilderness canned

Other than a very small amt of herring oil (which shouldn't cause a problem for most cats), the EVO 95% line has no fish.

http://www.evopet.com/products/default.asp?id=1493
hoofmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Kitten
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 14
Default Re: Blue Buffalo Wilderness canned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatBudz
Dry food does not help clean the teeth at all, the food doesnt reach the back of the mouth when the cat chews it, and a cats jaw only goes up and down, so they dont get a ''brushing action''. My friend took a 2 year animal nutrition course in university, and she told me that cranberries do not actually help a cat with urinary issues, that it is not effective in their bodies. I don't see the harm in feeding such a small amount of dry at night, however Blue Wilderness dry food does have fish in it, so I personally wouldnt be feeding it.

Ok good to know. I wasn't planning on using Blue Wilderness dry food, but I do want the try the Wilderness canned food to give him some variety.
no3yshhc0la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Kitten
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 14
Default Re: Blue Buffalo Wilderness canned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoofmaiden
Ditto re: dry food does NOT "clean the teeth." Nothing does except a raw diet, tooth brushing, or a dental.

Here is some great info on FLUTD, diet, etc:

http://www.catinfo.org/feline_urinary_tract_health.htm

And yes, avoid fish!
Thank you for clearing up the "no fish" worry that I keep wondering about. Great link as well!
no3yshhc0la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Kitten
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 14
Default Re: Blue Buffalo Wilderness canned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug
Having a cat with a fish intolerance, I can tell you there are only a handful of fish-free dry foods (of the high quality dry foods):

Holistic Select Duck & Oatmeal
California Natural Chicken & Rice
Before Grain Chicken
Natural Balance Green Pea & Chicken or Duck


I was on Blue Buffalo's website & they've come out with a line called Blue Basics which is a LID diet. The flavor is Turkey & Potato. I read the ingredients and I don't see any fish ingredients in it at all. After reading the ingredient list on the current type I'm feeding him, I noticed that there is salmon & fish meal in it. The bag is already pretty much gone.

Long story short, this cat like I said before belongs to my brother. My brother has gone through a difficult period & he probably really shouldn't have a cat since he doesn't exactly pay for anything (food, litter, vet bills), my parents have been taking care of that. I have a dog and I spend the money to feed her the top quality grain free foods so I know all about them. However, since my parents have already done so much for my brother, I don't want them to have to spend a fortune on cat food which is why I'm resorting to Blue Buffalo. Plus, I work at Petsmart so I get a discount on it. Just wanted to clear up as to why I'm using Blue Buffalo to begin with.
no3yshhc0la is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:19 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com