Canned food causing diarrhea? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2010, 07:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default Canned food causing diarrhea?

I asked someone that works at my vet office about cat foods and she said that canned cat food is known to cause diarrhea. They tend to encourage dry cat food at many vet offices but I plan to get my cats on canned and/or home made raw chicken cat food [vet recipe].

Lil Joe has had runny stools the last few days, after being on dry food at the shelter and me giving him some canned cat foods.

Just wanted to see what some of you had to say about this. Thanks.
3TabbyCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2010, 07:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Default Re: Canned food causing diarrhea?

Cats should not be eating dry food AT ALL. They do not have a high thirst drive, because they are designed to get all their water from their prey. If a cat is just on dry kibble, they will most likey develop urinary health issues. I wish someone had told me that when I was 16 and got my first cat, because she was just on dry kibble and then surprise- she was diagnosed with feline lower urinary tract disease. She got UTI's and crystal formations like crazy, and one time it was so bad it took 5 months to finally clear everything up. Both my cats are now on strictly high quality grain free canned food. Some canned foods may cause diarrhea because of poor quality and ingredients, or there could just be some ingredient that doesnt get along with their system. Also, if you just got your kitty, some cats do get diarrhea after being brought to a new home because of stress. But you should honestly start phasing out the dry food, even do 50/50 wet and dry, and slowly work up to 75%wet and 25% dry. When I was transitioning my cats from 50/50, I only fed them dry in the morning and before bed, but the rest of the day they got small servings of canned food (they do not eat a while serving in one sitting so I have to break it up throughout the day, or it would just be a waste). Hope this helped!

Edited by doodlebug
KatBudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Default Re: Canned food causing diarrhea?

Hi-

This all makes good sense to me. I hate to say it but many vets may be trying to protect their income (dry food feeding means more $$ for tests, appointments, etc., etc.). Major dry cat food makers help sponsor vets, like the way I think drug corporations pay off mainstream MDs. They're not going to approve raw diets if they make pets too healthy, so much that they never come in for appointments.

I plan to get them off dry food soon. Thanks for replying.
3TabbyCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement