Cat got fat after being spayed - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2010, 04:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Cat got fat after being spayed

From what I've read it appears there was actually some kind of change in her metabolism due to the change in hormones after we got our cat spayed a couple months ago. She is just over two, and had a litter of kittens about 10 months ago. I've noticed she's packing the weight on lately, and was monitoring the food over the past week (trying to with 4 cats in the house) and it's being eaten much quicker than it should be. The kittens were spayed as well and they're not eating too much, I assume because they never went into heat so not so much change in hormones.

How do I get one cat to diet when I have two 10 mo old kittens and a 14 year old old-lady cat in the house as well? They're eating Avo-derm because it's the only food the older cat can eat without vomiting. She's very active considering she has her daughters to play with, has a porch to go out onto but does not wander outside. I'm pretty sure this is all about the intake of her food. She did not gain a lot of weight after she stopped nursing, only steadily after her surgery.

Or could there be any other complications after a cat gets spayed that would make them gain weight?
allhaileris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2010, 05:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Default Re: Cat got fat after being spayed

I would meal feed all cats, at 10 months old the kittens do not need to be free fed anymore. As you said her metabolism has changed so you must do something to control her food intake or else she will gain weight. I also suggest feeding her wet food instead of dry food sometimes, the more the better. Wet food does not have as many empty calories as are found in dry food.
~Siameseifuplz~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat

Has she changed in any other way, other than eating? Because, oh dear, I remember when I tried to put Boru (a Tuxedo cat who I found as a stray) on a diet. He hated the "diet food" so much that he got into the cupboard and knocked over the bag and spread it all over the kitchen floor but did not eat one piece. Prior to his diet, he was such a sweetie. On a diet, he would wait by the door with his claws out to nail me when I came home. I had 2 other cats and my Husky as the time. Boru was big boned and 25 lbs. I admited defeat to the vet, who said he gave up also with his own cat for the same reason. The happy note is that he lived until 17 years old. Seriously, if you go with the fixed meal times, you can feed her a different food that's lower in calories. Another factor is exercise - does she like to play? My cat loves ping pong balls. How about catnip - at least it would take her mind off eating

"Just feed me, pet me, and we'll be great. Keep clean, and I'll reciprocate...You treat me right, and I'm your cat." -"Cat Rap" by Oscar Brand.
Mary Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

Her attitude changed a little after fixing, I figure she was acting a bit menopausal. But other than that no other changes. She does get LOTS of exercise. Her and her two daughters run back and forth in the house so much we've had to put up barriers at night to keep them quiet.

I think the meal feed thing might be the only thing that would work for her. I just worry about our oldest, she is pretty stationary and leaving the food out for her at anytime is really ideal for her. She will not eat with the other cats and we do not have an alternate feeding spot for her. The others would find it.
allhaileris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat

I understand the bind you're in. I agree with you that your senior cat has to have her food out - so that means they all do. If it's any consolation, my fat Boru was a healthy cat with an excellent immune system. At the time I had him, I lost 2 other cats to FIP. Since your cat gets exercise and is happy, and you have your senior cat to consider, I would just accept it. I've been there, I finally just accepted Boru's weight, and it worked out.

"Just feed me, pet me, and we'll be great. Keep clean, and I'll reciprocate...You treat me right, and I'm your cat." -"Cat Rap" by Oscar Brand.
Mary Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Truthfully, I think it is the type of food you are feeding that has caused her to gain weight. Yes, their metabolism can change after spaying, but if you are feeding a lot of carbs ... a cat can gain weight and they will eat-eat-eat if their food doesn't make them feel full, which is what I think carbs do? I'm NOT 100% sure about that, but I do know cats need *meat* and not grains.

Our Squirrely-Jo was an 18# fat-cat.
I fed Iams free-choice and thought I was feeding a premium type food. I didn't learn until coming here to CatForum that it really wasn't all it was cracked up to be. It was still a McKittyCrack type of catfood. Tasty, and had all the correct nutritional requirements ... but just as a steady diet of McDonalds isn't healthy for people, neither was this food I was feeding with all of the carbs that felines don't need and can't digest.
About 2yrs ago I switched to Innova free-choice and included one large canned meal a day. S-Jo lost 1/3rd of her body weight in about a year. She went from a hernia-making 18# fluffy bowling ball of a cat, to a svelte 12# cat who would run, jump and play. She stopped parking herself in front of the food all day and eat-eat-eating and now she only eats enough to 'feed her machine' and she is much healthier and happier being a more active cat.

Check out these different brands and their first ingredients, I stopped at "natural flavors".
In particular, I shall also highlight just the first THREE, which are major ingredients w/in the products. Please take note of the actual *meat* in the different products. ('meal' is not considered a 'meat')
Avo-Derm Chick/Herr kitten:
Chicken Meal, Ground Whole Corn, Chicken Fat, Herring Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Ground Whole Brown Rice, Ground Whole Wheat, Natural Flavor,
Avo-Derm Chick/Herr adult:
Chicken Meal, Ground Whole Corn, Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken Fat, Ground Whole Brown Rice, Ground Whole Wheat, Herring Meal,
Avo-Derm Chick/Herr indoor/hairball:
Chicken Meal, Ground Whole Corn, Whole Ground Brown Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken Fat, Tomato Pomace, Oatmeal, Herring Meal, Oat Bran,
Iams Orig OceanFish/Rice:
Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Meal, Corn Grits, Animal Fat, Ocean Fish, Brewers Rice, Dried Beet Pulp,
Innova adult:
Turkey, Chicken Meal, Chicken, Potatoes, Eggs, Barley, Chicken Fat, Rice, Flaxseed

Could you try to introduce your Old Girl to a dry food with better ingredients?
Some reading:
http://www.littlebigcat.com/?action=lib ... cannedfood
http://www.catinfo.org/
...best of luck...
heidi =^..^=
Heidi n Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement