Taurine - Dosage? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2010, 05:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Default Taurine - Dosage?

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if one of you might know how many milligrams (mg) of taurine a cat needs per day. I recall reading that it is water soluble so they cannot overdose on it, but I also don't want to give them TOO too much. Right now we are feeding human-quality cat food from Almo Nature which is 75% fish or fish+meat, 24% broth and 1% rice, so it is great food as far as canned foods go, but I am thinking of supplementing taurine because I'm not sure how much they get from the food (it's not listed on the label) and I know it is VERY essential for them, thus I would like to know the proper dosage. Someday soon we are going to try a raw diet (Sigma absolutely loves raw chicken but unfortunately Whisky turned his nose up at it), but right now it isn't feasible.

Thank you for your help and advice

~t
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2010, 09:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Default Re: Taurine - Dosage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyuh
I was wondering if one of you might know how many milligrams (mg) of taurine a cat needs per day. I recall reading that it is water soluble so they cannot overdose on it, but I also don't want to give them TOO too much. Right now we are feeding human-quality cat food from Almo Nature which is 75% fish or fish+meat, 24% broth and 1% rice, so it is great food as far as canned foods go, but I am thinking of supplementing taurine because I'm not sure how much they get from the food (it's not listed on the label) and I know it is VERY essential for them, thus I would like to know the proper dosage.
Well . . .

First, a food that is mostly fish or even half fish is NOT a good food for cats. A little fish is fine--too much can lead to problems, including urinary tract issues. I would look for something else.

Second, ALL commercial cat food should contain added taurine. If you're going to feed commercial, you should feed one that actually makes an attempt to replace the vitamins and minerals lost in the cooking process.

I would keep looking.
hoofmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Hey! Thanks for your response!

The reason I am asking this question in such a way is because this is the best food that we can find in Europe, unfortunately we don't have the selection that there is in North America nor the same producers. I think the "high quality canned food" trend has caught on more in North America than it has here. I've lived here for two years and I've looked all over the place to find something good for my cats and this is the best I can come up with. Like I said, I want to go to a raw diet sometime soon but now is not the right time. Thus, can you please help me answer my question about taurine?

Thank you~!
Old 05-27-2010, 10:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Well, in your case, then, a raw diet would be great. It's really not hard--trust me (I'm vegan, so if I can do it anyone can!) and feeding 1 cat is cheap. And you really need to not be feeding that much fish.

If you can get taurine powder, just sprinkle 1/8 tsp onto the food at each meal. That's probably more than the kitty needs, but it's water soluable and you can't OD.

But do start thinking seriously about a better option . . .
Old 05-27-2010, 11:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
Premier Cat

This article may help clarify some of the taurine issue for you:

http://www.vetlord.org/taurine-is-essential-for-cats/
laurief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Great, thanks guys!

Yeah, we are going to try out raw next week We will first try putting some raw chicken in Whisky's current food (Sigma will adjust straight away) and then work our way from there. It's not the cost that was of concern to us really, but we figured out that, even if we fed boneless chicken breast everyday (which we won't..), it's still 70 cents cheaper per day than this canned food. Yikes! So, yeah, we will try to introduce them to raw next week. Do you guys have any recommendations on other meats to try to entice them? What kind of beef is good? Any? I think we will first start with some meat (chicken and beef) and liver, and work our way up to giving bone. Do those little chicken wings work for bone pieces?

Thanks for the help I'll probably be returning here regularly on advice with a raw diet next week. I just hope I can "convince" Whisky to hop on board
Old 05-28-2010, 11:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
Premier Cat

We have a special raw forum that is a sub-forum of this one. Look at the top and click on raw forum. Come there and ask for help. I think they want to keep the raw discussion over there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement