Re: Feline Leukemia
I wonder - if the test was actually a false positive, if I retested today or tomorrow, would it show true results (providing that the vet follows directions)?
Maybe I'm just grasping at straws. I'm very stressed. I was told by my own vet, along with several other vets, that given her history it is very unlikely that she does have the virus. She's female (I guess most infected cats are male), she's indoor-only, she doesn't come into contact with any other cats, she's had no symptoms (though that doesn't mean a whole lot, since the virus can be latent for a while). I was also told that it's rare to have a kitten born with the disease - most infected queens have miscarriages or abortions - if they do give birth to live kittens, it's only 1 kitten than survives the birth. Pixie was part of a litter of five and Sprite, her sister, came up negative. UGH. This whole thing is driving me nuts. I should have had the test done by my own vet - I just don't really trust the vet that we went to. He was a little "off", didn't remember which cat was which, and seemed very unconfident.
I did find a traveling low-cost vet in my area who will do the test again for $20. Super cheap and I've heard good things about him. He offers low cost vaccinations, exams, and prescriptions for people who have a lower income. He never charges an exam fee or an office fee. What do you guys think - should I take her there and retest her? Or should I wait? He's only in town on Fridays so if I don't do it today, I will have to wait until next week.
Melissa, mother to 2 doggies, 2 kitties, and 1 baby girl!