Canned Pumpkin - Where do you buy it? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2010, 06:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Default Canned Pumpkin - Where do you buy it?

Hello all,

My cat was having a slight constipation issue, and reading this forum you all say its good to give them canned pumpkin or Metamucil.

The issue is, my grocery stores here do not sell 100% pure canned pumpkin, only the pie filling stuff. They told me that canned pumpkin is seasonal?! I've googled, and even most websites online are out of stock with it.

So where do you buy it?
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2010, 06:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Default Re: Canned Pumpkin - Where do you buy it?

Wow! They always carry it here. That's crazy. Where are you? People use pumpkin all year long. I know you can order cases on Amazon.com but it's pricey!
Have you looked to see if there is plain pumpkin baby food?
If not, you'll just have to use plain Metamucil, I guess.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I got mine from The Real Canadian Super Store. 100% Pumpkin and nothing else. I found it this past week in the baking needs aisle. Misty has had about a teaspoon well mixed with about the same amount of tuna for three days in a row, and her movements have been better. But she seems a bit under the weather today so she's not getting any tomorrow. I was warned about tummy aches.

While I'm thinking about it, Metamucil might be a better choice, because if you don't like pumpkin (I don't) you'd end up wasting a lot. On top of that, I don't think Misty is too crazy about it.

I do believe, though, that being pro-active on constipation might ward off more serious stoppages later.

Edit: The pumpkin might just be seasonal in your area. It's possible people won't buy it all year round and many stores will not give shelf space to items that do not sell.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I live in New Jersey, and have called every grocery store in the area, all with the same reply - "Nope, not in stock, its a seasonal item".

Even googling online it seems there is a canned pumpkin shortage, due to a bad harvest season I guess.

I did however find 2 brands online - Farmers Market Organic & Libby's 100% Pure. Any idea which is best? I've never given my cats pumpkin before, and would prefer to buy the best brand.

Reading online articles and such, it seems pumpkin is the preferred choice over Metamucil, or at least the preferred flavor for cats. So I'd rather try the pumpkin with my kitty.

Edit: Hmm after reading Jim's post, maybe Metamucil is the better route? Decisions, decisions lol Anyone know which has a better effect for cats - Pumpkin or Metamucil? (I've never used Metamucil myself, but reading about it online, it says it gets thick and clumpy if not drank immediately - and my cat eats slow, so I fear it might be a turn off for her?!)

Thanks for your replies!
Old 05-28-2010, 07:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kattt
Reading online articles and such, it seems pumpkin is the preferred choice over Metamucil, or at least the preferred flavor for cats. So I'd rather try the pumpkin with my kitty.
It could be that some people have not been mixing enough fluid with it. Metamucil absorbs a great deal.

Anyone here used it? Anyone used well cooked and mashed carrots, which, for me, would be a better choice?
Old 05-28-2010, 07:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I've used grated raw carrots which works too...but I don't think quite as well as pumpkin. Zucchini too!
I like pumpkin but rarely use it so I freeze it in an ice tray, then cover it in a zip lock bag and that makes nice little portions for the cats.
I haven't used Metamucil but I believe yes, you should add water to the food and make it a little soupy. Even with pumpkin it's a good idea. There are people here who have used it though and, hopefully, they'll chime in.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I actually get it from a small pet store here.
furryfriends251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 08:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cat

You can also use canned squash (100%) or squash baby food. Here, canned pumpkin is seasonal as well. Sometimes you can buy it year round but it gets more expensive when it's out of season. Good luck and let us know what you decide and if it helps!
Old 05-28-2010, 11:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Premier Cat

All of the remedies mentioned on this thread, including Metamucil, are just fiber sources. Six of one, half dozen of the other. It just depends on which you can find and which your cat will eat. If you use Metamucil, mix no more than 1/8 tsp into canned food daily, adding warm water to turn it into a gruel.

The most important preventative of constipation is to make sure your cat is taking in sufficient water every day. The best and easiest way to accomplish this is to feed an exclusively canned or homemade diet. Dry kibble diets absorb water out of the digestive tract, making constipation more likely to occur. If your cat has a problem with constipation, stay away from kibble unless it is absolutely the only thing he is willing to eat.

Laurie
laurief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Premier Cat

There is no canned pumpkin on the shelves in the Pittsburgh suburbs either. That seems strange to me. Surely people make pumpkin pies and other desserts year round. I would never use pumpkin pie mix for pies, and I'm sure many others feel that way. Of course, we need plain pureed pumpkin for our pets' digestive systems.

Libby has always been a good brand, if you can find it.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Jeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement