Constipated Cat - How long does it take to regulate stool? - Page 3 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2010, 11:17 PM   #21 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Default Re: Constipated Cat - How long does it take to regulate stool?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kattt
Prior to getting the 2 I've had for the past 7 years, I had to put my female cat down for constipation issues.
Well, I can certainly understand how your current situation must be causing you a tremendous amount of concern. But I'm sure your girl will be fine once you fine tune her management and diet.

Quote:
As for their food - Since my cats both go for the gravy only, and avoid the meat... The vet did also suggest blending up their wet food in a blender so its entirely all soup, like you have suggested many times (I think you even said to blend it too). Which seems gross to me :?.
LOL! Gross for you, delicious for your kitty kids. The blender will essentially turn their entire meal into a tasty "gravy" for them to lap up. They'll love it, I'll bet!

Laurie
laurief is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2010, 07:22 PM   #22 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Well you were right, Miralax certainly does work. It sure flushed out her system. I gave her 1/8 tsp last night, and another 1/8 this morning. At first this morning she was still straining (Miralax probably hadn't kicked in yet). Then about an hour later she had a normal bowel movement. And by this afternoon, she had alot more come out. The afternoon stool was really soft, and had some semi-diarrhea, so I'll cut back her Miralax dosage now. But what a relief, finally having something that works and seeing her get that out of her system without requiring another vet visit for an enema. And she feels much better too, alot more relaxed now.

The vet didn't actually say how long I should continue giving the Miralax to her. I don't think shes out of the woods just yet, because I think she's possibly had a bit of a constipation problem longer than I've actually realized, but because she was actually getting stool out, I didn't notice until I saw her straining and there was hardly anything coming out at all (Poor thing). So for now, I'm going to continue giving her the Miralax. Maybe a downsized dosage every 2-3 days to see if I can get her regulated with a lesser dosage. I'm hoping I don't have to permanently give it to her, because I've read that it can cause damage to the colon if its given daily, not sure how true that is? I would hate to create more problems by using it.

As for the blended food, it was a no go with my picky eaters, they both turned their noses up. But I think I have finally mastered a perfect blend of the Blue Buffalo chicken with water and pumpkin that my female is finally happy with. She finally actually ate the chicken meat twice today, about 1 oz each time, not much.. but its huge progress for her. My boy though, forget it. He's stubborn and will require so much more work. I really want to get him on wet, because aside from the fact that its healthier, but if I ever have these kind of issues with him, I'll have a real problem giving him meds if he only eats dry food.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:37 PM   #23 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Well you were right, Miralax certainly does work.
It's amazing what 1/8 tsp of the right stuff can do, isn't it? I'm so glad Miralax helped clear all of that poo out of her system and has made her more comfortable.

Quote:
for now, I'm going to continue giving her the Miralax. Maybe a downsized dosage every 2-3 days to see if I can get her regulated with a lesser dosage.
That sounds like a reasonable strategy to me. Maybe give 1/8 tsp once daily for the next few days, then reduce to 1/8 tsp once every other day and see how she does for a week. If all goes smoothly, reduce to 1/8 tsp once every 3 days for another week, and so on.

Quote:
I'm hoping I don't have to permanently give it to her, because I've read that it can cause damage to the colon if its given daily
Where did you read that? I'd like to check out that source myself. I haven't read anything about colon damage associated with Miralax, and I gave it to Billy twice daily for over two years.

Quote:
As for the blended food, it was a no go with my picky eaters, they both turned their noses up.
That's too bad. You never know what those picky eaters might like (or not) until you try it.

Quote:
But I think I have finally mastered a perfect blend of the Blue Buffalo chicken with water and pumpkin that my female is finally happy with.
That's a step in the right direction, for sure.

Quote:
My boy though, forget it. He's stubborn and will require so much more work.
Have you tried him with the tasty junk food canned foods like Fancy Feast and Friskies? Have you tried both pate style and chunks in gravy style? There's bound to be something out there that will appeal to even his picky palate.

Laurie
Old 06-11-2010, 11:15 AM   #24 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I can't find that article again. I've probably read every constipation article on the net over the course of the past couple of weeks she's been having issues, so lord knows where I saw it. Now that I think back, it didn't say Miralax specifically, it said laxatives in general.. and it wasn't a credible source, it was just articles I've read that people wrote themselves on how they resolved their own constipation isuses. So probably nothing to worry about.

But I did read when I googled Miralax side effects, that it should not be used for prolonged use (no longer than 2 weeks), because it can cause dependancy and stop working. But if you've been giving it to your Billy for 2 years, I hope it will continue to work for my girl too... because I'm sure she will probably need it longer than 2 weeks.

Do you give it to Billy daily, and how many times a day? Mine is still only poo'ing every 3 days. I think her main problem is, she holds it.. until it builds up into a very large stool, so large that its hard for her to pass. So it takes her several straining tries to get it out (Which obviously isn't healthy for her colon, to contiuously having to strain to get her poo out). She just did that today, it took her nearly 5 tries.. I felt so bad. And I swear it was nearly human size LOL, which is why she had so much trouble getting it out of her tiny body. It was normal texture, not hard or dry.. looked healthy, no blood or anything unusual.. just extremely large.

Maybe my fault, I probably didn't give her enough Miralax. I only gave her 1/8 tsp of Miralax the past couple of days (instead of twice daily like the vet said to do, because it caused semi-diarrhea the first day, so I cut it back to once). Plus yesterday I sprinkled it on top of her wet food, because I figured since she licks it, she would lick that all up first... but maybe she didn't take it all in (She never eats all of her food). So today I went back to my normal routine and mixed it up in a lil tiny bit of gravy, which ensures that she gets the full 1/8 dosage into her. I'll give her another 1/8 dosage again tonight, and continue twice a day until she hopefully stops waiting 3 days causing herself to strain so much. What a crazy ride this has been!

As for my stubborn boy.. I have tried the junk food brands too.. Friskies, Fancy Feast, etc. They have been on Fancy Feast canned for the past several years, but he's only ever licked the gravy out of it. Pate styles, neither of my cats will even attempt to lick or try. However, I am finally starting to make a bit of progress with him the past 2 days. He's finally decided he likes the Blue Buffalo Tuna flavor (only flavor he'll even go near). He only eats a very, very tiny bit.. but its a start, that hes actually eating a little of the meat now. So I'm going to stick with the flavor he enjoys for now to try to get him eating more wet food, and hopefully he'll eat a bit more each day. I know tuna flavor isn't great for cats to have, but its all he'll eat.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:48 AM   #25 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Now that I think back, it didn't say Miralax specifically, it said laxatives in general.. and it wasn't a credible source, it was just articles I've read that people wrote themselves on how they resolved their own constipation isuses. So probably nothing to worry about.
There are different types of laxatives that work in entirely different ways, so cautions that apply to one type of laxative aren't likely to apply to others. I wouldn't be at all concerned about generalized, anecdotal statements made by unreliable sources.

Quote:
But I did read when I googled Miralax side effects, that it should not be used for prolonged use (no longer than 2 weeks), because it can cause dependancy and stop working.
That definitely was not my experience with Billy. Miralax never lost effectiveness with him.

Quote:
Do you give it to Billy daily, and how many times a day?
Billy passed on several weeks ago, but his condition was considerably more complicated than your girl's. Billy was 20+ yrs old with chronic renal failure, hyperthyroidism, hyperparathyroidism, and skin cancer. You can't make comparisons between what his body required to maintain reasonable function and what your girl's does. But to answer your question, Billy received a heaping 1/8 tsp of Miralax twice daily, every day.

Quote:
Mine is still only poo'ing every 3 days. I think her main problem is, she holds it.. until it builds up into a very large stool, so large that its hard for her to pass.
I suppose that's possible - that she's holding it because she anticipates so much pain when she tries to pass it. But hopefully she'll stop holding it once you get it properly regulated and she realizes that she can pass it without discomfort.

Quote:
She just did that today, it took her nearly 5 tries.. I felt so bad. And I swear it was nearly human size LOL, which is why she had so much trouble getting it out of her tiny body. It was normal texture, not hard or dry.. looked healthy, no blood or anything unusual.. just extremely large
It sounds to me like you may be giving her too much pumpkin and bulking up her stool too much. If you're giving her more than 1 tsp of pumpkin daily, I recommend you reduce it to 1 tsp only.

Quote:
I only gave her 1/8 tsp of Miralax the past couple of days (instead of twice daily like the vet said to do, because it caused semi-diarrhea the first day, so I cut it back to once).
Reduce the pumpkin first, if you're giving her more than 1 tsp daily, and maybe increase the Miralax to a heaping 1/8 tsp once daily. Then wait a couple of days and see what effect that has on her stool consistency and frequency.

Quote:
Pate styles, neither of my cats will even attempt to lick or try.
Have you tried pate style mixed into a gruel with warm water? They both might be a lot more inclined to eat it if they can lap it up. Also, warm it in the microwave for a few seconds - just long enough to make it REALLY smelly. Do NOT, however, make it so warm that they reject it because of the heat.

Quote:
He's finally decided he likes the Blue Buffalo Tuna flavor
As you know, not the best option, but it's definitely a good start toward eating canned food.

Laurie
Old 06-11-2010, 08:12 PM   #26 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Aww I'm so sorry to hear about your Billy passing. But wow, 20 years.. nice long life for him. All of your knowledge with his medical issues most likely expanded his years.

As for the pumpkin, I've only been giving her 1 tsp per day (1/2 tsp split between 2 feedings). Which means, since she doesn't eat all of her food, she wasn't even taking in the entire tsp. So maybe I should cut the pumpkin out all together if thatís whats bulking up her stool and making it that large. The vet told me that the pumpkin would help her push her stool out, but that doesn't seem to be the case since she's still straining.

You're most likely right about her associating having a bowel movement with pain, so thatís whats causing her to hold it... and in turn, causing her to be constipated. She can hold it for a long time too.. believe me. Even after the vet gave her an enema, which should have released it nearly immediately, my girl held it in for well over an hour and a half after receiving the enema until we got home. So shes a pro at holding her stool in.

And for the food. I have tried mixing water in both pate and non-pate wet food. My boy will not touch the wet food if I put any water in it, at all. Which is odd, because he loves water.. so I figured he'd like it more, but nope. I've also tried warming it a few seconds in the microwave too, and no go. The only way he'll eat it is fresh out of the can.. with nothing at all added or heated. I did ask my also ask my vet about him only eating tuna flavors, if it was going to create issues for him. She said as long as I'm feeding a high quality brand (which I am now), and hes had no urinary issues, he should be fine. So I hope shes right, because that is seriously all that boy will eat. I've tried a ton of brands, flavors, tricks, etc.. with no luck, aside from the tuna flavor. I'll keep trying, because if he ever does have a urinary issue, he won't have a choice. So I'd rather gradually conquer the problem ahead of time, just incase.

Thanks again for all of your help. You've been great!
Old 06-11-2010, 08:33 PM   #27 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I think I'd keep giving the 1 tsp of pumpkin, because bulking up the stool does make it easier to pass. Maybe it'll just take a bit of time for her digestive tract to adjust to the changes.

I remembered something today that you might want to add to your girl's regimen, esp. since it might allow you to wean her off of Miralax more quickly. It isn't the first option that comes to my mind because it isn't suitable for CRF cats (too high in phosphorus for CRF cats), but it might work beautifully for your girl. It's milk! Milk can act like an osmotic laxative (same as Lactulose and Miralax) for adult cats. It's possible that giving your girl a small amount of whole milk every day might soften her stool enough to eliminate the need for Miralax. It's worth a try, anyway. I'm not at all sure about the amount, though. You might try a tbs or two of milk on the days that you don't give any Miralax and see what happens to her stool.

Now, milk might not do anything for her if you're already giving her any dairy as treats (milk, cream, cheese, yogurt, etc.), but if her body isn't accustomed to digesting dairy, then it might do the trick to soften her stool.

Laurie
Old 06-12-2010, 10:29 AM   #28 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I've never given her anything dairy before, so her body isn't accustomed to it. However, when this constipation issue first started, I did try giving her both whole milk and cats milk, and she wouldn't touch either. Took one lick of each, and walked away. What cats don't like milk?! Only my 2. So picky, I swear. And it seems milk might give her an upset stomach if mixed in wet food like chicken or something.

She did poo again today, so thats 2 days in a row. First time in years she's done that. Its always been every 2 days as her norm, and every 3-4 days once her constipation issues started. (Prior to these issues, I had no idea cats were supposed to go daily, I thought every 2 days was normal ).

So I'm hoping, emphasis on HOPING, that I can continue to give her the Miralax for a couple of weeks, and possibly get her into the routine of going daily, so she can re-train her brain that its ok, and it won't hurt if she goes daily. Then she can hopefully start going on her own soon again with pumpkin only, and no Miralax. I really think a huge part of it is mind over matter with her thinking its going to hurt, since the vet says shes healthy otherwise.

I'd hate to have to give Miralax daily forever. If she was in her teens, I wouldn't mind so much. But 7 years old seems way too young to keep her on it forever, and probably would create dependancy issues and stop working eventually if used for years on end, 3-5+ or more. So I can only keep my fingers crossed at this point.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:02 AM   #29 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Don't give up on the dairy yet. Buy a small container of whipping cream and warm up a tbs or two in the microwave for a few seconds. See if she'll go for it once the chill is taken off. Also, don't stand there watching to see if she'll drink it. Treat it like it's something she's not supposed to get into, and let her "steal" it.

In the last few weeks with Billy, he ate very little on his own, so I tried to tempt him with milk just to get something into his system. He wouldn't drink it out of a small bowl that I offered to him directly, but he WOULD drink it out of my own cereal bowl as I sat on the couch eating breakfast. I suppose he figured if I was eating it, it must be worth stealing.

A little reverse psychology can sometimes work wonders on a picky eater.

Laurie
Old 06-14-2010, 10:22 AM   #30 (permalink)
Tom Cat

So I tried some Cool Whipped Cream with her, warmed it up just a bit to take the chill off, and put it in a bowl that she see's me eat out of, since she always tries to get to it while I'm eating. And the little brat wouldn't touch it, go figure LOL. I'm going to try her a few more times with it since she didn't even attempt to try it, maybe if she eventually tastes it.. she'll like it. Is the Kraft cool whipped brand ok for her, if it has to turn into a daily dose thing to replace the Miralax?

I finally found a food that she'll eat the entire 3ozs, licks the bowl dry... meat and all - Wellness Healthy Indulgence. Down side, its the tuna flavor (of course). But its the only flavor she'll actually eat all of though. And given she eats it all, its been a huge help with making sure she absorbs all of her pumpkin and Miralax into her system. I also mix in 2-3 tsps of water, and its definitely helping. Shes been poo'ing every 1-2 days now, and today she actually went on the first try, with no straining.

So I'm hoping now that she's almost fully transitioned to wet food, along with the extra water and pumpkin that I mix in, I can possibly ween her off of the Miralax soon. I don't want to rock the boat just yet though, since she's just barely starting to get back to normal. I may keep her on it for at least 3-4 weeks, so her brain is re-trained that she can go without it hurting, and then hopefully she won't require anything extra, aside from the pumpkin.
Advertisement