Cat not eating normally dropping weight-Please help - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2010, 07:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Default Re: Cat not eating normally dropping weight-Please help

Boss is still not eating he may have had a few bites of food today.

I am going to try tiki cat tomorrow but if that does not do it I may have to start force feeding him. I took him over to the shelter to weigh him he has lost another pound and a half in a week. We ran a fecal and all seems normal. Lori took some blood work to see if she sees anything when they send it off to the lab.

I gave her all his test results. she said they all seem normal the mother cats goes in a monday for test just to see if she shows something.

All the kittens are eating and healthy looking so I really think it is stress more then anything. and she has already gain 2 ounces I weigh her everyday..
Mrs. PBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2010, 07:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cat

I read the posts, but I may have missed this: Has he seen a vet about not eating? I saw you posted about getting some blood work, but maybe the vet could do some more specific tests. Or if nothing is wrong, I think the vet should be able to give him something to help stimulate his appetite. That might be easier to try first before force feeding.
SpaceyKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I'm sorry, but that sounds quite serious to me. A pound and a half is a lot of weight. I understand the shortage of funds, but I think it's necessary for Boss to have some tests. In the meantime, I would supplement his food with Nutrical. My prayers are with him.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Jeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Yes he has been to the vet for not eating my first post was all over the place sorry.

He has had blood work checking for worms cancer iron heartworms just his blood levels in general

He has had ex rays by two different vet from head to tail. Ultra sound of his stomach heart lungs not so sure about the lungs but A & M vet wanted to do that also.

We have tried every grain free food you can think of he got the last dose of antibiotic today. For a infection that we might not have caught. He has been on Bene bac and Nutrical Sub Q's he gets everyday cause I was not sure if he was drinking enough.

The vet checked for renal failure kidneys heart lungs all in blood work oh I already said that.

I got fancy feet heated it up he would not touch it.

The weird thing is he comes running for food every time we are in the Kitchen then won't eat. They checked his teeth he went under for a full dental cause he would not let the dentist check his teeth. He stayed at the vet for four days and would not eat there either.

I am at wits end with him. That is why I am thinking for none medical reasons. It has to be something the only thing any of his blood work showed was a little dehydration.

Like I said if it is medical we have not found it now the shelter is running test just because I took him today and showed lori everything. Mom my foster will go on monday and have test done maybe she will come up with something that boss is not showing the only behavior change is he is more moody then normal with my dog Phoenix and him and her are like best friends.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:52 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tom Cat

The little amount of poop he has had has been normal not runny in any way.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:10 PM   #16 (permalink)
Premier Cat

He had this workup at A&M? I was going to recommend taking him to a university vet school clinic, but you can't do better than A&M.

I think SpaceyKP had a good suggestion in an appetite stimulant. It won't get you any closer to a diagnosis, but it may buy you some time if you can at least get Boss eating well again. I used cyproheptadine successfully to stimulate appetite in my CRF cat. You may want to discuss trying that or one of the other appetite stimulants with Boss.

Laurie
laurief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:30 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Yes he had a double work up at A&M and my normal vet. My normal vet suggested it.

Now we are going to do a blood work up on My foster to see if maybe she is showing something that for what ever reason boss is not.

she will not get the ex rays cause to be honest if we do not figure this out soon the money will run out.

And I am personally more worried about my cat.

There are a couple of thing they sent off that we won't get back for another week or so. But i am not sure I was told by the A&M vet that if he was stressed about the foster he would not go this far without eating.

I will try to get a Appetite Stimulant from my vet on Monday. Or can I buy it at a feed store?
Old 07-03-2010, 09:53 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Ok a real Log here

At 9 PM on Saturday July 3rd

He was given

3 ounces of a brand new can of Evo his normal flavor

1/2 Cup of TOTW Brand new bag old bag thrown out.

Will log how much he ate tomorrow morning at 9 A.M.

I am also copying this to my computer he has a follow up with the vet on Friday.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:59 PM   #19 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. PBJ
I will try to get a Appetite Stimulant from my vet on Monday. Or can I buy it at a feed store?
Anything used for appetite stimulation in cats is going to be available by prescription or directly through your vet only. If you try cyproheptadine, which works well for many but not all cats, you may be able to buy it very cheaply through a drug discount program at one of your local chain stores like K-Mart. All of the chains - K-Mart, Walmart, Target, etc. - maintain lists of drugs that they sell at substantial discounts, and those lists vary from chain to chain. So it's always worth calling around to all of the chain drug stores to see if the meds you need are on their discount lists. As far as cypro is concerned, I can buy it really cheaply at my local K-Mart pharmacy ($4-$5 for 30 pills).

Be forewarned that it's best to start the appetite stimulant drugs like cyproheptadine or mirtazapine at a very low dose, then increase, if necessary, to achieve the desired effect. Many cats when given the standard recommended dosage of these drugs, have very unpleasant side effects, whereas lower doses can be effective with no side effects at all. I started Billy on cypro at 1/8 pill once daily.

Laurie
laurief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:38 AM   #20 (permalink)
Tom Cat

He ate 2 ounce of wet and 1/8 of a cup dry last night. This morning I dumped it all.

He was given 2 ounces wet Evo heated up again.

1/2 a cup dry Fromm five star.

He did meow for me to feed him this morning. Thats the weird thing in all of this he does want us to feed him he does his normal routine of feed me women but then won't eat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement