Care after Spay/ Teeth Extraction? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2010, 01:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Default Care after Spay/ Teeth Extraction?

Jasmine goes tomorrow morning to be spayed and to have most, if not all of her teeth removed. She and her 2 kittens, Lucy and Tobias, are living in the spare room upstairs, where they have been for the last 8 weeks.
I've never had a cat who has had any extensive dental work and am not sure what I should do to prepare to take care of her. Any special purchases I need to be making today to make her more comfortable? Should I separate her from the kittens at first when she gets home? I was thinking of putting her in a huge dog crate in the same room as the kittens so they could be be together with out them leaping on her all the time but am worried that this will just stress them even further.
I just want to care for the best I can. I'm sure the vet will give me instructions but I'm hoping that the people on here can give me some more experienced help in caring for my poor baby.

Thanks,
Lori

Last edited by Mikayla; 08-11-2010 at 01:24 PM.
Mikayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2010, 01:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Franny had 9 teeth extracted yesterday She went in in the morning and I picked her up ay 6:00 last night. It was done under general anesthesia so she got no food or water from midnight the night before. That was the only prep I had to do. She got one dose of pain meeds when I picked her up and she has a pain med patch which will stay on for 4 days. I have to give her antibiotics twice a day for 7 days. She is getting soft (wet) food for 4 days and then she can get dry again.

She was groggy when I brought her home, but her pal Franklin is taking good care of her. He seems to know not to roughhouse as usual. I did not separate her from him at all. The vet said anything that made her feel comfortable was OK. She is coming back to being herself fairly quickly. She's eating, drinking, peeing, scratching etc. She slept with us last night without incident. The only question I would ask your vet is about nursing, if she still is, and meds. Just love her lots when you bring her home
kwarendorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 02:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Thanks kwarendorf. It's good to hear that your little girl is getting back to normal so quickly!
That's a good point about the meds that I didn't even think of. The kittens are pretty well weaned but do still nurse from her. I'll make sure to ask about that. I'm not sure that she'll be able to nurse after the spay.
She's on wet food only as she has a really hard time eating any dry at all and seems to be in pain afterwards, much more aggressive. I'll be so glad when she's out of that constant pain.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikayla View Post
That's a good point about the meds
The kittens should be removed from her after surgery, not just because of the pain meds and antibiotics, but also because they mustn't be allowed to knead on her incision site, which they will do if they are still nursing. I'd keep them separated until the surgery incision is completely healed (10-14 days).

If you can set her up in a separate bedroom, that would probably be less stressful for her and for the kittens than being in a crate in the same room but not able to reach each other.

Make sure you ask the vet about pain meds administered during and/or after surgery. Many vets routinely use Metacam, but if you research Metacam online, you will find that it has had very serious and potentially fatal side effects in a number of cats. It is also NOT labeled or oral use in cats at all. I personally won't allow use of Metacam in my cats. Tramadol or Buprenex are much safer pain med options for cats, so I recommend you request one of them, instead.

Quote:
She's on wet food only
That's good. It'd be even easier for her to eat if you mix it into a thick soup with warm water. That way she can just lap it up without having to chew at all. And warming it a bit will prevent tooth pain caused by cold food hitting the bad teeth.

Laurie
laurief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Franny got Brupenex. She has exhibited no signs of pain and luckily she eats a pate style canned food and has shown good appetite. She does not, however, like her antibiotics

Last edited by kwarendorf; 08-11-2010 at 06:20 PM.
kwarendorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Well, Jasmine went in this morning and is recovering now. She was spayed and microchipped, had 9 teeth removed, and the rest descaled. Apparently her heart rate was very low during surgery but she is awake and watching them now. It broke my heart to leave her as she was so frightened and I kept telling her that I'd be back, that I love her and that I wasn't like her other people, I would always come back. Poor baby. I get her back tomorrow morning.

Thanks laurief. I mentioned the metacam and they said that they don't usually use it on cats anyway.

They're also going to call and ask about the failure rate on the FIV/FeLV snap test before I introduce her to the other cats as she has many of the signs even though her test was negative.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikayla View Post
Apparently her heart rate was very low during surgery
Didn't they administer fluids during and after surgery? If they had, they could have kept her heart rate up and kept her kidneys safe. If her heart rate was allowed to lower during surgery, you'll have to keep an eye on her kidney function for a while through bloodwork to make sure there aren't any lasting negative effects of the low blood pressure.

You should call the vet and ask whether fluids were administered before, during, and/or after surgery.

Laurie
Old 08-12-2010, 05:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I'll ask about the fluids when I pick her up in the morning. Isn't that standard procedure?
Old 08-12-2010, 07:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Premier Cat

It should be, but at least here in the States, quite a few vets don't run IV fluids unless specifically requested to do so by the owner. In fact, I expect that very few, if any, low cost spay/neuter clinics run fluids during surgery.

Laurie
Old 08-12-2010, 08:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I've made a point to ask for fluids during any surgery done on any of my cats and other animals. Some Vets will say they don't need it unless it is a serious situation but I insisted with my Vet that no fluids - no business of mine. I feel it's good all around for the cat when under any kind of surgicial stress plus the benefits laurief stated. Hope your baby gets better soon!
Loves-her-girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement