Walmart food brands - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2010, 09:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I went to my grocery store and walmart today. The grocery store had one brand i have never seen before called home 360 pet. I looked at walmart and they had one brand called natural life that i have never seen before. Are either of these two brands any good?
April0684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2010, 10:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Home 360 Pet is a Food Lion brand. They don't list the ingredients on their website. The combination of those two things tell me it's unlikely that this is even a marginally decent food.

Natural Life canned looks like a good food, probably the best choice of the ones you've mentioned. Their dry is extremely yucky...wheat, corn, corn gluten meal...blech!

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Ok thanks so much doodlebug for answering my many questions! I have seen the friskies brand alot everywhere and i do like the fact that it comes in a 24 can pack deal. Is that brand really really bad? I know its definitely not the best brand but is it like the worst of the worst?
Old 09-19-2010, 01:54 AM   #14 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I just wanted to say that i have read up on the natural life can food and really like what i read about the ingredients. I think i am going to try going with this brand. I do have a couple new questions though with my new kitten salem he is 10-12 weeks old do i need to go with a kitten can formula for him or would it be ok to feed him the natural life too? Does the natural life have a kitten formula? I didn't see any at walmart. If i do need to feed salem a kitten formula and natural life doesn't make one what would be the best brand out of the ones i named that does have a kitten formula?
Old 09-19-2010, 03:12 PM   #15 (permalink)
Super Moderator

There are no AAFCO statements on the websites for these foods, so you'll need to read the package to see of the foods are OK for kittens. I would feed a kitten formula of a food like this since they're not the highest quality foods.

With Natural Life as an option, I wouldn't recommend the Friskies at all. Friskies stll has a lot of questionable ingredients (nitrates, artificial flavors and colors, sugar, glutens), where Natural Life doesn't.

Also understand that one of the major differences between a food like Friskies and a high quality food like Wellness is the quality of the ingredients....pet food laws allow the use ingredients not fit for human consumption....4D animals (dead, dying, diseased and I forget the 4th D), moldy and insect infested grains, meat rejected from the supermarket as not fit for humans etc. etc. Companies like Meow Mix also source from places like China and their quality control processes are suspect at best.

The super premium brands use human quality ingredients, most sourced in the US or Canada. If sourced from other geographies they have extensive testing processes. The foods are manufactured in the US in USDA certified plants (which again means they meet human food standards).

So the price you pay for the high end foods isn't just for the ingredients, you get a higher level of security that the food you're feeding is as safer.

I bring this up because the Natural Life wet food looks great on the surface, but their FAQ has a significant contradiction in it...

Do we use human grade ingredients? Yes and No. Once the human grade ingredient enters a pet food manufacturing facility it can no longer be considered a human grade food.

Do we use euthanized or diseased animals in our foods? Absolutely not! We are monitored very closely since our food is produced in a certified organic facility.

As far as I know, there is no such thing as a certified organic pet food manufacturing plant. Certified organic implies human grade. There are plenty of high end pet food manufacturer's that flat out say they make their food from human grade ingredients...the fact that Natural Life skirts this question and has the above contradiction makes me uncomfortable. But....it's still better than Meow Mix, which I have no doubt is using the lowest quality/cheapest ingredients possible

Old 09-19-2010, 06:26 PM   #16 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Thanks for all of that information doodlebug! I own my two cats and a little chihuahua dog. I joined a chi forum from that forum and this one i have learned i was feeding all 3 very poor quality foods and have been wanting to change that now that i know. On the chi forum they told me about 2 brands sold at tractor supply for dogs that was good quality and reasonably priced. 4health and taste of the wild were the brands. I checked there sites and tractor supply's site. 4health's site shows nothing for cat food but tractor supply's site shows they carry that brands dry cat food. I checked taste of the wild's site and it shows one canned cat food but tractor supply's site doesn't show it carries this brand under there canned cat food.

I think i am going to try looking in tractor supply one last time to see if i see a 4health or taste of the wild can food. If i can't find those 2 brands then i will have to go with natural life. I think thats the best brand i could find in my area.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:40 PM   #17 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Taste of the Wild is an excellent food, especially for the price. Unfortunately the canned cat food only comes in 3oz cans and there's only one flavor.

4 Health appears to be a Tractor Supply store brand, so if there's no canned on their website then it probably doesn't exist.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:34 PM   #18 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Ok thanks! I have one final question and then i will be set. I want to have a tiny bit of dry food in their diet. Does the 4health dry ingredients sound ok?
Chicken, chicken meal, egg product, cracked pearled barley, ground rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), salmon, potatoes, natural chicken flavor, flaxseed, sodium bisulfate, oceanfish meal, potassium chloride, methionine, choline chloride, dried chicory root, taurine, kelp, carrots, peas, apples, tomatoes, blueberries, spinach, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, yucca schidigera extract, dried fermentation products of Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei and Lactobacillus plantarum, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, zinc proteinate, vitamin E supplement, niacin, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin A supplement, biotin, potassium iodide, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin,
Old 09-19-2010, 09:00 PM   #19 (permalink)
Super Moderator

On a scale of one to five...I'd give it a 4 if it's human grade, US sourced and manufactured. A 3 if it's not.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:10 PM   #20 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Ok thank you so much again doodlebug for all the help and information! I really appreciate it! I feel much better now knowing that i will be getting both my boys on better diets for them! I had been feeding them both all dry foods thinking that was fine till i found this forum. I'm so thankful i found all of this information!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement