Walmart food brands - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2010, 12:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Question Walmart food brands

I was just wondering what is the best brand of canned cat food sold at walmart? I have heard that walmart carries the low end quality food but if you had to pick one from there which one would you choose?
April0684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2010, 01:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I'm a firm believer that anything you can buy at Walmart or a grocery store is not good for your cat. Spend the extra money and go to a pet food store and get something good.
annepanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Many grocery stores and places like Walmart are actually carrying some fairly decent foods these days. They still have loads of junk foods, but a few decent ones have slipped in.

That said, I don't know if you're specifying Walmart because you're looking for something cheap or because it's the only place you can get to.

If it's the only place you can get to and price isn't a huge obstacle, then I'd suggest Newman's Own. Other than that...the best of the standard Walmart/grocery type wet foods is Iams (imo). Not great, but you can certainly do worse.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 05:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I'm no expert, but I also don't have the budget to buy expensive canned food. I've found at least one site where a vet says that even the cheap canned food with by-products in the ingredients is better than feeding any kind of dry food. (Feeding Your Cat: Know The Basis of Feline Nutrition, and search within the page for "Friskies")

So buy the canned food you can afford and feel good about it -- your cats are better off than on dry food. This is what I'm transitioning to, and Walmart is all I can afford, too.
CatnipCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Doodlebug- It is both reasons for me. There are no pet stores in my town and even if there were i can't really afford the high end brands at this time. I will check for the newman's own and if thats not available then i will check for iams.

Catnip cats- Thank you so much for that article! I read all of it. I too am looking to transition my cat to can. I also can only afford walmart at this time too. What brand are you feeding?

I just looked on the walmart site and the only canned brands listed are:
meow mix
friskies
fancy feast
whiskas

Just in case i can't find the newman's own or iams brand does anyone know which brand out of the above listed is the best?
Old 09-17-2010, 12:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

meow mix
friskies
fancy feast
whiskas

Believe it or not...Meow Mix. The Wholesome Goodness more so than the Market Selects, but a quick looks and neither one seems to have by-products and some of the additives are not nearly as carcinogenic as something like Whiskas (which is still using BHA/BHT, nitrates, and dyes).

But really watch your prices...this stuff comes in little 2.75 oz cups that make it look cheaper than it is. Do "per ounce" calculations. I just did the math on Walmart's Market Selects price as compared to a 13 oz can of Wellness and it's within fractions of a penny per ounce.

Look for a named meat as a first ingredient, avoid unnamed meat sources (eg chicken by products is better than meat by products). I'd rather see by products than glutens. Always look for flavors like "chicken feast" and not "savory grill". When a meat is named in the flavor is must make up 95% of the ingredients. When there's no meat named in the title you're getting mostly by products or mystery meat. You don't want anything that says "with beef"...that only has to be 3% of the ingredients.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Doodlebug- Thanks so much for that information!

I am going to check out several stores in my area and see what i can find.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Ok i didn't go to walmart or my grocery store today but i did check out tractor supply co and big lots. Both had the brands i see alot in walmarts and grocery stores but tractor had a brand called paws & claws and big lots had a brand called rival. I have never heard of these two brands before. They were both affordable for me. I looked at the ingredients but i am still new at figuring what is better than what by ingredients so i was hoping someone on here could help me with this question. Would paws & claws or the rival brands be a better choice or is the meow mix, friskies brands better?

I'm so sorry for all of the questions. I'm still trying to learn.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Paws and Claws is awful stuff. Rival is better, but worse than the Meow Mix.

Do you have a Trader Joe's near you? Their brand food is pretty decent stuff for about 59 cents a can.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I checked and no trader joes in my area. I still want to check out walmart and my grocery store for newman's own or iams.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement