How long to isolate a stray? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat
 
Oriole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Europe
Posts: 74
Question How long to isolate a stray?

This is my first time fostering a stray kitten - I saw an add which said that an approximately 3-4 months old abandoned kitten had been found and that the woman who had taken him in could only have him until yesterday. Sadly, this is a very common situation here especially with the state of the economy

Somehow his picture just 'spoke' to me - I instantly connected with him and knew that I would not forgive myself if I did not help the little guy. So last night I went to get him and now he's isolated in my bathroom (only room with door, but also the best room for flea containment).

Last night, I dewormed him, bathed him with a special flea shampoo and when he was dry, treated him with Frontline Combo solution for fleas. He wasn't the worst case of flea infestation, but I think there were at least some 15-20 fleas on him. It's now been 12 hours since the bath and the Frontline treatment and I can happily say that I can no longer find any on him.

He is otherwise in good health, he was already checked out by a vet who confirmed only the need for deworming and flea control.

I have two cats of my own - a 4 year old and a 7 month old. Now the question is: how long do I have keep the stray isolated until I can be sure that the fleas won't jump onto my two cats? I got the pet-safe spray for treating the apartment in general, though I'm not sure how often that should be done.

Also, if they begin communicating, will that mean that I need to deworm my two kitties as well, just in case they have ingested some larvae eggs?
Oriole is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 03:28 PM
Premier Cat
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: northern Minnesota
Posts: 4,465
Send a message via Skype™ to laurief
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriole View Post
his picture just 'spoke' to me - I instantly connected with him and knew that I would not forgive myself if I did not help the little guy.
Congratulations and thank you for helping the kitten.That was very kind of you.

Quote:
Last night, I dewormed him, bathed him with a special flea shampoo and when he was dry, treated him with Frontline Combo solution for fleas.
Oops. Frontline should not be used within a week of a bath. Frontline distributes through the animal's skin layer by attaching to the skin oils - the same skin oils that you removed when you bathed him. So the Frontline you applied right after the bath had no way of distributing through the skin layer, making it effectively useless. The flea bath apparently removed the visible fleas, but it would be a good idea to buy a flea comb and comb him daily until it's safe to administer another dose of Frontline.

Quote:
I have two cats of my own - a 4 year old and a 7 month old. Now the question is: how long do I have keep the stray isolated until I can be sure that the fleas won't jump onto my two cats?
How long do you expect to be fostering this kitten? If it's only going to be for a few days, there's no need to incorporate him into your household of other cats. As far as fleas are concerned, if the kitten still has fleas, the fleas can and will leave your bathroom on their own and get into the rest of your apartment with your other cats. It won't require the kitten getting out of the bathroom.

Quote:
I got the pet-safe spray for treating the apartment in general, though I'm not sure how often that should be done.
All flea sprays are not created equal. Some work and some don't. Make sure you buy only flea control products recommended by your vet and use them according to label instructions, including removing the animals from the premises for as long or longer than recommended.

Quote:
Also, if they begin communicating, will that mean that I need to deworm my two kitties as well, just in case they have ingested some larvae eggs?
If the stray was dewormed with a vet-approved dewormer, and you remember to give the follow-up dewormer as prescribed by your vet, your other cats should be at no risk of contracting the types of parasites killed by the dewormer. There are, however, protozoal parasites like giardia and coccidia that are not killed by normal dewormers and that may not show up in a fecal exam. If the stray has these types of protozoa, it is possible for them to be transmitted to your other cats by sharing litterboxes.

Laurie
laurief is offline  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 03:47 PM
Tom Cat
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: MN
Posts: 352
[quote=laurief;695694]
Quote:

Oops. Frontline should not be used within a week of a bath. Frontline distributes through the animal's skin layer by attaching to the skin oils - the same skin oils that you removed when you bathed him. So the Frontline you applied right after the bath had no way of distributing through the skin layer, making it effectively useless. The flea bath apparently removed the visible fleas, but it would be a good idea to buy a flea comb and comb him daily until it's safe to administer another dose of Frontline.

Laurie
Everything I've ever heard or read is 24 hrs before or after a bath.
teasha is offline  
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat
 
Oriole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Europe
Posts: 74
Thank you for the replies!

I didn't know that fact about Frontline - in the instructions it only said not to bathe him for 24 hours after application...it didn't say anything about before I have checked him thoroughly and haven't found any more fleas on him, so perhaps it is working despite the bath? Hypothetically, how soon is it safe to re-apply Frontline?

I took him to the vet again to get vaccinations - I told her about the treatments (shampoo/Frontline) and she didn't mention anything about them being conflicting.

I'm planning to keep him until I find a new home for him - we'll see how long that takes. He's quite content now, though anxious to get out of his room to explore the rest of the apartment
Oriole is offline  
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 12:13 AM
Tom Cat
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: MN
Posts: 352
Everything I have read/heard is... to not bathe until 24 hours after treatment is applied.

Or bathe but wait 24 hours before applying frontline.
teasha is offline  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat
 
Oriole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Europe
Posts: 74
Well...still no sign of fleas - let's hope they're truly gone despite my ignorance

On the plus side - I have already found an owner for the kitty! She's picking him up tomorrow, and I have to say that I'm already attached to the little guy and will be sad to see him go. But very very happy for his new home - the lady is a friend of mine and a long-time owner of happy, healthy cats.

Here's his picture:
Oriole is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome