Domestic Shorthair - Kitten Weight by Age - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2010, 04:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default Domestic Shorthair - Kitten Weight by Age

Anyone know average kitten weight by age for the common domestic shorthair?

I have found that full maturity takes about three years, at which point they will weigh between 11-15lbs for a male and 8-12lbs for a female (and tips on checking ideal shape), but nothing for what say a 1, 3, 6, 9, and 12 month average weight are.

Just curious as Wesley is getting HUMONGOUS and is supposedly only 5-6months old! Buttercup is still a tinsy winsy girl though, dwarfed by the big boy even though they are siblings.

Last edited by Ducman69; 10-03-2010 at 04:10 AM.
Ducman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2010, 04:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I always love your pictures you add to your posts.

Ok, the rule of thumb is 1 pound per month until they reach ten pounds or full adult weight.

So a 4 week old kitten should weigh about 1 pound. A 6 month old kitten should weigh around 6 pounds. Thats the average growth rate for your typical cat. Some will be bigger, some smaller. My Ninja is 7 months and weighs 8 pounds, so is ahead of the curve.

Kobie, Mocha, Puzzles and Tyler, Gone but never forgotten
Kobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

11-15lbs. for a male? My Sinatra is around 13lbs. and my vet keeps telling me how fat he is. I never know how much a cat should weigh, as I have always had different sized cats. Maybe Wesley is going to be taller then the average kitty? Like the one in the picture.
Sinatra-Butters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

When viewed from above, a cat should have a waist...an indentation between the rib cage and the hind quarters. There should be a thin layer of fat covering the spine and ribs, but you should be able to feel the bones with light pressure. The chart below is a good guide for being able to look at a cat and figure out the body condition.

Evaluating your cat's weight - The Purina Body Condition System

Every cat is different and needs to be evaluated on their own. For example my Kobi is 19 lbs. Based on "average" figures it would seem that he's a porker, in reality he's just a really big boy and not fat at all.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

I did find that chart, but just thought an average (if anyone had ever made one) would help give an idea if Buttercup is small for a girl, Wesley big for a boy, or just both about average for their gender since I'm noticing quite the size difference.
Ducman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I was answering the question about Sinatra being within the average weight range, but yet the vet is saying he's fat.

Kobster's answer about average kitten weight is spot on.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 01:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premier Cat

When I rescued Gomer and Goober last summer, they were quite underweight (bony skinny). I guesstimated their ages at 5 weeks. After feeding them for a week, their weights were 1.65 and 1.3 lbs respectively. At two months they were 2.15 and 1.9 lbs. At three months, 4.38 and 3.76 lbs. At four months, 6.6 and 5.82 lbs. At five months, 9.11 and 7.92 lbs. At six months, 10.49 and 9.35 lbs. At seven months, 11.59 and 10.38 lbs. At eight months, 12.22 and 10.94 lbs. At nine months, 12.42 and 12.15 lbs. At ten months, 11.83 and 12.14.

As you can see, the GoBoys grew like WEEDS for the first nine months, eating a combination of premium quality canned and Raw Prey Model. Gomer was a REALLY fat kitten after his first couple of weeks post-rescue, but Goober was very lean until he caught up to Gomer at around nine months. Then they turned the tables, and Gomer started to lean down, while Goober porked up. Gomer is now just about perfect at 11.8 lbs, and Goober is a bit overweight (but losing) at 12.29 lbs. They are 15 mos old.

Laurie
laurief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 02:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Premier Cat

We had a Trio of kittens from the same litter; two brothers and one sister.
The brothers both weighed 12# each. The 'skinny-looking' brother was taller and longer than his more 'meatier' looking brother but they both weighed the same and each looked perfectly proportional based on their body-types. Their sister was half their weight at a dainty 6# all her life.
Normal size/weight is directly proportional to the individual kitty and governed by their underlying bone structure. This is why such-and-such weight at so-and-so time isn't always The Rule, it's more of a guideline.
Heidi n Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 02:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug View Post
When viewed from above, a cat should have a waist...an indentation between the rib cage and the hind quarters. There should be a thin layer of fat covering the spine and ribs, but you should be able to feel the bones with light pressure. The chart below is a good guide for being able to look at a cat and figure out the body condition.

Evaluating your cat's weight - The Purina Body Condition System

Every cat is different and needs to be evaluated on their own. For example my Kobi is 19 lbs. Based on "average" figures it would seem that he's a porker, in reality he's just a really big boy and not fat at all.

Thanks
He is a little chunky, but not too fat. He has an indentation but is still pretty rolley polley.
Sinatra-Butters is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement