Urinary tract / white blood cell problems - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2010, 05:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Urinary tract / white blood cell problems

Hi everyone,

First time 'real' poster here! Our cat was in and out of the litter box on Saturday night / Sunday morning. He seemed to be constipated, then all of a sudden he had diarrhea and started rubbing his butt on the ground. So we took him into the emergency vet. They did some tests on him and found some crystals in his urine, said that he had too many white blood cells in his urine, prescribed some antibiotics, and told us to switch him to a Medical Urinary SO wet food only diet.

We brought him home last night and he seemed to be getting a little better. He takes his pills no problem, he is eating the new food just fine, but today he is apparently (gf is home with him, I'm at work) getting worse again. He is meowing as if he is in pain when he pees, etc.

I know it has only been about 28 hours since we first took him to the vet, so he really shouldn't be magically better yet, but I also know this is a fairly common problem in cats. So I was hoping people on here might have some tricks to help him heal faster? I hate to see him uncomfortable and in pain.

I have heard that dusty cat littler can cause urinary problems too, and his cat littler is very dusty so I'll be replacing that ASAP.

Any other ideas? Anything is appreciated.

Thanks!

--steve
smccreary is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2010, 05:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Kitten

Oh he is also licking himself a lot, to the point where my gf is getting a little worried that he may be making it worse.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Welcome to the Cat Forum, though I'm sorry for the circumstance that brought you here. Male cats who develop urinary crystals are at high risk of partial or complete urinary blockage, which is not only excruciatingly painful, but can also be quickly fatal if a complete blockage goes untreated. It sounds to me like your cat, assuming he is still successfully passing some urine, may be experiencing a partial blockage. If this progresses to a complete blockage where he strains to urinate without producing any urine, you must get him to the vet IMMEDIATELY, even if it occurs in the middle of the night.

It would be best, though, if you call the vet right now and describe the cat's current symptoms. The vet may want to see him now to evaluate his current condition and provide any necessary treatment, which may include catheterization and hospitalization if a blockage is present.

Urinary issues can be lethal in male cats. Don't delay a call to the vet.

Laurie
laurief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

Thanks for the message laurief!

We did bring him to the emergency vet again on Monday night, he spent the night there and we brought him home last night. He has Feline Idiopathic Cystitis. Judging by your message I'm sure I don't have to explain what that is to you!

I think the Environmental Stress Theory best explains what is bothering little Harper-cat. he doesn't like when we get new furniture, and he exhibited a few of the same symptoms a couple months back when we painted and moved his litter box.

Anyway, they did an X-Ray on him and he doesn't have any stones, so that is good. He is on a Medical SO urinary diet now, and is on two types of antibiotics, which seem to be helping him pee a bit more easily, and get some much needed rest. He is still licking himself and rubbing his butt on the floor a bit, but seems to be getting better.

I'm working from home today to keep an eye on him and make sure he doesn't get any worse. Apparently it takes 7-10 days for this to heal so we'll wait and see!

Thanks again for your msg!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement