Do two kittens/cats require two litter boxes? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2010, 05:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Do two kittens/cats require two litter boxes?

Do two kittens/cats require two litter boxes?

I bought two giant sized litter boxes for two incoming kittens. The size makes just one of them look like overkill, and two even moreso.

The incoming kittens are both maine coons. One of the breeders says it's best to get the biggest size of litter box available because when they grow up, it will be the best size for them.

With two litter boxes available, will each kitten will use her own specific litter box, and not the other one?

Or will both kittens use both litter boxes?

Are there any disadvantages to using only one litter box for two kittens/cats?
coonconnoisseur is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2010, 08:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat

Really, one litter box for 2 cats is fine. Sounds roomy. Just clean it a.m. & p.m. & add more litter as needed; clean thoroughly a couple times a year. If you can't take the second one back, just store it in garage or something. No reason to do two. I had two cats for years that weren't even littermates & it was fine. I would try to have a hood on it (can buy separately just to cut down on litter being tossed) as long as neither seems shy about the hood.

And thou shalt have dominion over all the Beasts, except, for Cats.
Janis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I heard you're always supposed to have at least one box per cat. Paizly won't share with Nebbie, so I need two.
Also, if you have a multi-story house, get a box for each level, so they don't have to hurry up or down stairs to make it to the potty. Cats don't really think ahead about that thing
Vivid Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat

p.s. both cats will use both boxes if you have two.

And thou shalt have dominion over all the Beasts, except, for Cats.
Janis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

One litter box for both is fine. They'll have to get used to using the same litter box anyway if they are going to grow up together.
I think that if we share the toilet with other people, It should be perfectly fine to share a litter box.

SmokeyDokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

While everyone can give you their opinion on how many boxes you'll need, the reality is that it is up to the cats. The recommended number is "number of cats plus one", so for two cats, the recommended number is 3. But....Some do fine with one box, some want two, some want 3. Some will each claim a box as theirs and never use the others, some will use two boxes interchangeably. And some will even use one for pee and the other for poop.

I don't know how old these kittens are and how big your house is....Holly was 12 weeks when I got her and she didn't understand that she needed to go upstairs for the box till she was about 15-16 weeks. So I had a box on both floors. If the kittens are less than 10 weeks you may need to have a box in whatever room they're in as they may not get that they need to go to the next room.

As they grow you can test out different strategies and you may find that it changes over time. For example, two kittens/teens/young adults may do fine with one box. Then they reach age 2-3 which is the timeframe where dominance and 'alpha cat' start to become important to them. And you may find that one doesn't let the other use the box, so you have to add a second one because the dominant cat can't guard two boxes at once.

Oh...and if you haven't read Cat vs Cat yet, it will really help you understand some of the challenges of a multi cat household. Highly recommend that you get it.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I bought an extra litter box for new kitten, but now I am finding that he prefers to use the one grown cat uses. I am thrilled, because two litter boxes are more work, and take up more room.

I am going to keep them both available for at least a month, and see what happens.

But, really, I am surprised that both are using the same one.
gracenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracenote View Post
I bought an extra litter box for new kitten, but now I am finding that he prefers to use the one grown cat uses. I am thrilled, because two litter boxes are more work, and take up more room.
Yup, Agate did that. I had a little box for him in his cage... but he always went to use the "big kitty" box, instead. So I finally just got rid of the little one. His sister, Tourmaline, would use either one at random.
Vivid Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cat

2 cats 1 box, scooped AM and PM.

We used to have 2 when we first adopted the 2nd one, but then they both end up using the same one so we might as well have just one!
Ummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Perhaps I'm a freak, but I bought four of the large size Omega litter boxes, and put cat doors on two closets which house two litterboxes each.

Out of sight, out of smell, and peace of mind that even if I were to just roll them once a day (I check about four times a day and roll and flush whichever ones are disturbed) that they are set.
Ducman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement