Cats rarely drink water after switch to canned? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2010, 01:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat

Default Cats rarely drink water after switch to canned?

I've noticed that my girls don't really drink that much water any more after I switched them both to canned food. I have them on Weruva and ZiwiPeak canned, and Honest Kitchen Prowl, a dehydrated cat food that requires a good amount of water to rehydrate.

Should I be worried? The pee clumps that I dig out of their litter are huge though.

Old 10-22-2010, 01:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Canned food contains a lot more water than dry, so they are likely getting a lot more of their water from this and have to drink less. Still, if you're concerned, maybe give the vet a ring.
jbx74205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Miu drinks less water after the switch over from dry to a wet/raw diet combination.
Alpaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

It's perfectly normal for cats to drink less water when they're eating wet food than when they're eating dry. Despite their reduced drinking, they still consume more water via the wet food than they would via dry food plus more drinking. So, you have nothing to worry about, particularly since their pee clumps are still normal.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I rarely see my cats drinking water whenever they're on a canned or raw diet. It's normal.
catlady2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat

Completely normal. They're getting most of the water they require via their food. I've noticed that now that I have them on canned food for two meals each day they aren't drinking as much, but I'm still finding big clumps of pee in the litter boxes. I have Spike (the dog) 100% on raw and he doesn't drink anywhere near as much as he used to.
NinjaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Mine don't drink at all when they are on all canned. As soon as Neko gets into the dog's dry he has to chug water, it's very telling.
~Siameseifuplz~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 02:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cat

Ok, good to know! No need to shell out on an expensive pet fountain if they're not even going to use it. Bowls will do.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenakedorchid View Post
Ok, good to know! No need to shell out on an expensive pet fountain if they're not even going to use it. Bowls will do.

Fountains could still be worth it. For me they are. When I had the water in bowls, I would have to change the water four times a day because of all the hair, food and nasty stuff that would get in the bowls. They weren't drinking very much from the bowls either. Once I got a fountain Princess and Penny started drinking a lot more. They were very attracted to it. They like to play in it. So it serves as a toy too. It's worth it to me because
1) It holds more water
2) It filters the water
3) It keeps it cooler
4) They are much more attracted to running water, thus drinking more
5) When we go on vacation that's one less thing for the pet sitter to have to take care of

They do drink more than they would with bowls of water, even on mainly canned food. Except Rocky. He doesn't seem to like it for some reason. It's like he's scared of it, but he tries to drink from it every now and then.
NinjaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

^ I agree.

Even though canned is 80% water, I've never heard of a cat overhydrating, and mine still use the fountain although they have dry food left out for free feeding and get small portions of wet three times a day four days of the week (only twice unfortunately the other three).
Ducman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement