New 12 week old kittens, one with diarrhea - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

New 12 week old kittens, one with diarrhea

Well after the death of our beloved cat Phantom almost two months ago, we are honoring his memory with two handsome Bengal kittens! Their names are Phineas and Phaelan, and they are 12 weeks old. Brought them home yesterday, and they are in their "safe room" as we gradually introduce them to our adult cat, Phoebe Jean.

Phineas has had diarrhea today, and yesterday. We knew he had some issues with this after his last visit to the vet about two weeks ago, but are not sure if it's been continuous...I emailed our breeders to see if that is the case. They are very responsible and upstanding, we've been visiting the boys for over a month after deciding to adopt.

He is acting fine - drinking, eating, playing, purring, and no vomiting. From what I've looked up so far, it could be due to stress, or anxiety, or food. We have not changed his food, but might try some cat food with pumpkin in it.

Any thoughts or suggestions? We don't want to rush him to the vet, but want to be very careful with this.

I have uploaded two pics of the boys, Phineas is the spotted and Phaelan the marbled.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1363.jpg
Views:	15394
Size:	183.7 KB
ID:	1711  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1370.jpg
Views:	8444
Size:	219.8 KB
ID:	1712  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 10:45 AM
Premier Cat

Phineas and Phaelan are lovely! A lot will depend on what your breeder says as to whether or not the diarrhea has been a continuous problem. If so, I'd call the vet. If not, then it might just be stress-related. Muffin had a bit of diarrhea when I first brought her home, but it cleared up quickly. Make sure Phineas is drinking properly, to ensure he doesn't get dehydrated. As you say, you can add a couple of teaspoons of pumpkin to his food, making sure you use pure pumpkin as opposed to pumpkin pie filling. You should call your vet if the diarrhea continues (or has been a continuous problem to date), if you see any blood or worms in the diarrhea, or if you see any other signs of ill-health. Hopefully, it will clear up by itself within a day or so. Enjoy your new babies!

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 11:28 AM
Cat

They are super cute!
Cheetah had diarrhea the first 2 weeks he came to us too.
It was because the shelter told us to give him Wellness kitten canned, and his stomach did not react good to it. (It was in the medical record, but I did not know how to read and what to look for at that time)

Maybe try baby food?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thanks for the responses, I really appreciate them!! I had also emailed our breeder as I posted this, and he suggested pumpkin as well. So a trip to my local Traders Joes got that taken care of, and picked up some good wet food as well. Mixed together and the boys both loved it.

Phineas pooped last night and it wasn't as watery as earlier, and this morning when he pooped it was a solid-pasty consistency. So it's working!

A great way to start the day is with two snuggly Bengal kittens, and a loving 7 1/2 year old Siamese mix! Life is good.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 09:32 AM
Cool Cat

Aww congrats on your new bundle of kitties!! They are absolutely stunning. I hope they feel better soon!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 10:12 AM
Premier Cat

Glad to hear Phineas is starting to feel better. Sounds like you had a great start to the day!

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 10:59 AM
Cool Cat

YOu bengal kitties are gorgeous! You will have a lively household.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page