Can I give Vitamin C to a cat? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2010, 11:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat

Default Can I give Vitamin C to a cat?

I read online that it's OK to give Vitamin C to a cat. What dosage? The Vitamin C capsules I have are combination of: 1,000mg Vitamin C, 100mg Calcium, 200mg citrus bioflavonoids, and 200mg quercetin (bioflavonoid). I can pour a little of the capsule's substance into a pill pocket, so the cat eats it for certain.
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2010, 11:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Why do you want to supplement Vitamin C? Cats shouldn't need extra vitamin supplements if they're eating a high quality, balanced diet.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I have an FIV + FELIV+ cat so I give her vitamin C all the time. I just put a dabble of vitamin C and Lysine powder into her food on a daily basis. Lysine is for her watery eye condition. Just my opinion, but I like be assured that I am providing direct vitamin C supplements to my kitty without relying on what is really in the canned cat food.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat

I've never done this before and I was curious. It's the cold season, so I would think if people are more susceptible to getting cold and illnesses during this season, then cats would too. I haven't read the labels on the food packages I buy, but they might actually be vitamin-fortified: Nutro Max Cat, Science Diet and mostly Purina Urinary Tract.

My cat was also in a fight last night with a rival in the neighborhood, so today she isn't too well, and I thought a Vitamin C might boost up not only the immune system, but the general recovery and wellness of the cat too.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsx521 View Post
I've never done this before and I was curious. It's the cold season, so I would think if people are more susceptible to getting cold and illnesses during this season, then cats would too. I haven't read the labels on the food packages I buy, but they might actually be vitamin-fortified: Nutro Max Cat, Science Diet and mostly Purina Urinary Tract.

My cat was also in a fight last night with a rival in the neighborhood, so today she isn't too well, and I thought a Vitamin C might boost up not only the immune system, but the general recovery and wellness of the cat too.
I would think that upgrading to a high-quality canned diet would do much more for your cat than supplementing a vitamin they don't need much of to begin with. Wellness grain-free, Evo 95% meat, Natural Balance grain-free, Nature's Variety Instinct - all of these are grain-free and high-quality.

Best regards!

AC
Old 12-24-2010, 12:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Healthy cats synthesize their own vitamin C from glucose, they do not need it supplemented in their diet...just need a good diet to begin with. There is little evidence that it does anything to stave off a common cold. It has long been thought that excess water soluble vitamins are just excreted and cause no harm, but there is now evidence in humans that the excess may cause damage before being excreted. Also note that humans must get all their Vit C from diet, it cannot be synthesized by the body as it is in cats.

Since your cat does not have any underlying chronic conditions, I wouldn't not recommend vitamin supplementation. I would recommend a diet upgrade as a first step towards general wellness; Nutro, Purina and Science Diet are low to mid range foods. After that, I would recommend a digestive enzyme/probiotic supplement. This will help your cat get the most out of the food you feed.

Old 12-24-2010, 12:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug View Post
After that, I would recommend a digestive enzyme/probiotic supplement.
Oh? Such as?

& Krissy - Janitor, KitterKat Club Enterprises
Old 12-24-2010, 12:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Animal Essentials Digestive Enzymes and Probiotics

Last edited by doodlebug; 12-24-2010 at 12:32 AM.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:39 AM   #9 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug View Post
Animal Essentials Digestive Enzymes and Probiotics
Thank you! Ordered!

& Krissy - Janitor, KitterKat Club Enterprises
Old 12-24-2010, 01:42 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Seconding what Doodlebug said. While it's pretty established folklore that vitamin C supposedly boosts your immune system, there's really not much actual scientific evidence to back it. There may be some other reason (possibly a nutrient we've yet to discover) people find eating fruit beneficial when sick that has nothing to do with vitamin C, and that may not necessarily apply to cats.

Remember, cats and people are fairly biologically different. We can synthesize certain things naturally that cats cannot and vice-versa, so never assume that what works for us may necessarily be what a cat needs to be healthy.

The best way to look at it is: what do we crave when sick? Fresh natural things that are part of our omnivorous diet. You can apply that same logic to cats, just taking into account their different, carnivorous diet. Making sure your cat gets the highest quality ingredients possible, as close to their natural diet as possible (with a quality canned or balanced fresh meat diet) is probably the best way to make sure their immune systems stay strong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread