Kiki throwing up foam, breathing hard... - Page 3 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2010, 04:43 PM   #21 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Thanks everyone I appreciate the condolences...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leni View Post
I know in humans they can get spontanoues pneumothorax which really has no cause. Perhaps the foam was from pulmonary edema, maybe there was fluid in the lung from swelling. Either way, I am so very sorry for your loss, that was very fast and unexpected it seems like.
So thinking on this, she was probably not vomiting up foam but coughing it up from her lungs. I think this is were my mistake was. Instead of trying to comfort her while she was "vomiting" I should have been taking her immediately to the vet, she had no asthma or other conditions...I knew something was different when I saw the rapid breathing following her "vomiting" spell, and then she started her crying, but it wasn't until then - maybe 20 minutes after she first woke me up that I took her to the vet. -

Then on top of that, to get to the vet I have to take the 10E freeway to 405N & just take the first exit and the vet is right there, not even a 10 min drive....but....the on ramp to the 405N was blocked off - I had to keep driving down to the next exit and turn back to 10W to get to 405N again but that was also blocked off as well. I then had to keep driving west(opposite vet) take the first exit, go onto city streets and make my way back towards the vet, so my drive took an extra 10 minutes or so. It was like everything was working against us.

I was cussing, yelling, crying and trying to comfort Kiki during that drive - I've never had such an explosion of negative emotions in my head at once -

She had pretty much stopped breathing by the time I got there but her little heart was still beating. - I just gave the carrier to the receptionist who looked inside, saw her condition and immediately rushed her into the back. By the time they figured out what was wrong it was too late.

I just feel like I should have acted sooner or taken another route or found a closer emergency vet...anything other than what I did and maybe Kiki would still be with me...feel like I failed her big time in the end...
Sabala is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2010, 05:23 PM   #22 (permalink)
Cat Addict

No, you didn't fail her. You couldn't help that the road was closed. As soon as you realized it was an emergency you took her. Also, you don't know if they could have saved her if you had got there any earlier.

Don't beat yourself up about it, sometimes things just happen and there is nothing we can do.
Xanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:59 AM   #23 (permalink)
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanti View Post
No, you didn't fail her. You couldn't help that the road was closed. As soon as you realized it was an emergency you took her. Also, you don't know if they could have saved her if you had got there any earlier.

Don't beat yourself up about it, sometimes things just happen and there is nothing we can do.
Exactly, I didn't post that to make you feel worse about it. Sometimes things like that just happen and you have no control over them. You did the best you could given the circumstances and like was mentioned by Xanti, you don't know if they could have saved her if you had gotten there earlier. The what ifs are always hard, just try to find comfort that she is at peace now. I'm so sorry about this *hugs*
Leni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:26 AM   #24 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I am so sorry for your loss. I went through this a year ago with my cat only she passed away before I had the chance to get her to the vet. It's the worst thing to see your cat suffering and making meows that were never heard before. I am so sorry. Our kitties are resting peacefully at the rainbow bridge now.
kittywitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement