Cats sneezing: do they need meds, and if so, which meds? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2011, 01:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Cats sneezing: do they need meds, and if so, which meds?

My cats sneeze.

Over the past couple of weeks, the sneezing got especially bad with the little one. The big one sneezes far less often, but still sneezes.

I told my vet about it and he gave me liquid meds for both of them. I'm not sure what the meds is called but on the label it says "Doxycycline" and also "Hyclate 5mg/mL."

I gave that to my cats for 7 days as prescribed. The sneezing reduced a lot from how often it was occurring in the little one, yet the cats still sneeze. I am not sure that the meds I gave them had any effect on the little one's sneezing, but I suspect that maybe it didn't, and the sneezing decreased on it's own simply due to the passage of time and her natural biology.

Do my cats need a different type of meds to stop sneezing completely?

If so, what type of meds should I get the next time? I don't wanna keep shelling out cash for the meds I've described above since for me it is expensive to buy and only provides dubious results in exchange for my cash.
coonconnoisseur is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2011, 01:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Cats sneeze for any number of reasons. Is there a discharge from the nose, especially if it's yellowish or greenish.....that would indicate a serious infection and you will have to take kitty back to vet.

If there's no discharge from the nose, it may be an allergic reaction to something in the house. You might also check my suggestions in dweamgoil's thread Mild Cat Flu? or Allergies? under Health & Nutrition.
catloverami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I do not notice any discharge from the nose other than what I think is normal mucous.

The little one's nose always becomes encrusted with black mucous after she sneezes for a while. I think maybe it only becomes black after it dries around her nose? Last night I tried cleaning her nose but it was dirty with mucous again this morning.

How would I find out what they might be allergic to?
coonconnoisseur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by coonconnoisseur View Post
I do not notice any discharge from the nose other than what I think is normal mucous.

The little one's nose always becomes encrusted with black mucous after she sneezes for a while. I think maybe it only becomes black after it dries around her nose? Last night I tried cleaning her nose but it was dirty with mucous again this morning.

How would I find out what they might be allergic to?
Cats do not normally have any type of discharge. Since your cats clearly do, I would suggest bringing them into the vet so an evaluation can be done and the proper medication prescribed, if needed (I don't know where you live, but I admit to some astonishment that your vet handed out a prescription for your cats without ever actually seeing them).

AC
Auntie Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

Yeah, if there weren't a discharge I'd think allergies (my own cat sneezes when it gets dusty), but the mucous is unusual, especially the color. It would also be kind of odd for more than one cat to spontaneously develop the same type of allergy at the same time.

Definitely take the cats back to the vet and tell them about the discharge. Getting a picture of it when it happens might be a good idea, since there's always the possibility that it won't happen the precise moment you're at the vet.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

It sounds like upper respiratory virus, but not an extremely serious case of it (yellow or green discharge would be very serious). Did you just get the younger one? When I worked adoptions at the humane society we used to advise new owners to steam their kitties if they started showing signs of respiratory viruses. Take kitty into the bathroom with you when you shower, leave the bathroom fan off to maximise steaming and make sure you keep kitty warm after letting them out. You can also use saline to clean the nose.
Church's Mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cat Addict

IMO, you shouldn't be going to a vet if they are handing out medication without actually seeing the animal.

Find a new vet and take them in, it is probably a URI.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinatra-Butters View Post
IMO, you shouldn't be going to a vet if they are handing out medication without actually seeing the animal.

Find a new vet and take them in.....
I agree with this. I wouldn't trust a vet who hadn't even touched the animal.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Wouldn't be asthma, would it, because of the discharge?

We're currently treating a cat, under veterinary advice after a visit, with Panacur for potential lungworm or roundworm infestation of the lungs. But she doesn't have an occular or nasal discharge, just noisy breathing when asleep and does a lot of hairball-type hacking. Vet said her lungs sounded raspy.
Presto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto View Post
Wouldn't be asthma, would it, because of the discharge?
Sneezing generally isn't a symptom of asthma. Not in humans, not in cats.

~Veterinary Hospital/Office Assistant
Church's Mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement