My cat has lost so much weight - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2011, 07:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default My cat has lost so much weight

I have a 9-year old cat who has lost a lot of weight in the past year. Originally, she weighted 8 1/2 pounds, and earlier this year when I took her to the vet for a check-up, she weighed 7 1/2 pounds. I mentioned my concern to the vet about her weightloss and she told me to keep an eye on her and if she lost more to bring her in. So this summer I took her back and she was down to 7 pounds. The vet did bloodwork to check for thyroid, kidney, diabetes, etc and everything came out fine. This fall she continued to get skinnier and I took her back to the vet in December and she weighed 6lb 9oz and the vet checked her bloodwork again and everything came back normal. She gave me some pills to give her for a week and asked about her food. And she recommended to try a different food that has more calories and less fillers. She told me to bring her back in two weeks to check her weight. And I took her back and she weighed 6lb 6oz. Then she gave me the same pills again with a higher dose to give her for a month and I'm supposed to take her back to check her weight.

I'm just completely clueless as to what could be causing the weight loss. She's basically skin and bones and I cringe holding her because all I feel is bones. I'm just so scared that she's going to wither down to nothing and die. I just weighed her on my scale tonight and she's at 6 pounds. I don't know what to do. There's nothing wrong with her thyroid, she doesn't have diabetes or worms. I just don't know what to do anymore.
amandabanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2011, 08:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

What were the pills? What are you currently feeding her (brand and wet or dry?). Were any x-rays or an ultrasound done (to look for tumors or other abnormalities). Is she eating well? Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Sorry for the list of questions, but this information will help us make better suggestions.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

The pills are Prednisone 5mg and the food is dry Purino Pro Plan. She seems to be eating well as far as I can tell when I'm home. I leave food out at all times because I am gone a lot for school and work. She hasn't been vomiting or having diarrhea. The vet did notice when I brought in a sample to test for worms it was loose, but not completely diarrhea. The vet hasn't done any xrays or ultrasounds. I honestly don't even know if they do that here since I live in a rural area.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Highly recommend asking if they will do xrays or ultrasound.

Rest in Peace, Hope. Making a Difference, One Life at a Time.
teasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Premier Cat

You need to get copies of ALL of her bloodwork (all of the panels that were run so that you can compare how they may have changed from one test to the next). Not all vets are great at interpreting bloodwork. For instance, if your cat's T4 thyroid level is in the high normal range, your vet may assume that's normal and not do any further testing. But a high normal T4 level may, indeed, occur in a cat who is hyperthyroid, and the only way to discover the accurate diagnosis is to do more extensive thyroid testing.

So get copies of all of her bloodwork from your vet and post the results here so that we might be able to offer you more suggestions. Also, you might consider consulting with a veterinary hematologist who can analyze her bloodwork and provide you with more specialized insight into her test results.

In the meantime, I recommend you switch your girl to a calorie-dense diet of Innova EVO or Wellness CORE dry and prescription A/D canned foods to help pack on the calories. Also, if your vet has prescribed prednisone as an appetite stimulant, there are a lot safer alternatives (cyproheptadine is one with which I have had good results), so you should discuss that with your vet. Do NOT, however, stop giving the pred unless your vet directs you to do so. Pred must be slowly weaned out of a cat's system in order to avoid potentially serious side effects.

Laurie
laurief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

Thanks for all your suggestions. She has not been eating much at all lately. I honestly haven't seen her at the food dish at all lately, so I'm very concerned about that and I weighed her today and she was just around 6 pounds. I'm going to be dropping her off at the vet tomorrow morning on my way to school so the vet can observe her and figure out what's going on. She's been meowing a lot lately, and I feel so bad because I don't know what's wrong and don't know what to do.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurief View Post
You need to get copies of ALL of her bloodwork (all of the panels that were run so that you can compare how they may have changed from one test to the next). Not all vets are great at interpreting bloodwork. For instance, if your cat's T4 thyroid level is in the high normal range, your vet may assume that's normal and not do any further testing. But a high normal T4 level may, indeed, occur in a cat who is hyperthyroid, and the only way to discover the accurate diagnosis is to do more extensive thyroid testing.

So get copies of all of her bloodwork from your vet and post the results here so that we might be able to offer you more suggestions. Also, you might consider consulting with a veterinary hematologist who can analyze her bloodwork and provide you with more specialized insight into her test results.

In the meantime, I recommend you switch your girl to a calorie-dense diet of Innova EVO or Wellness CORE dry and prescription A/D canned foods to help pack on the calories. Also, if your vet has prescribed prednisone as an appetite stimulant, there are a lot safer alternatives (cyproheptadine is one with which I have had good results), so you should discuss that with your vet. Do NOT, however, stop giving the pred unless your vet directs you to do so. Pred must be slowly weaned out of a cat's system in order to avoid potentially serious side effects.

Laurie
Please note that all vets are not created equal!!! There are knowledgable cat savvy vets and then there are vets who are run of the mill. They only treat the basic indoor pet sicknesses.

You need to find a new vet and get other opinions.

Print out the questions and concerns that Laurief shared with you and see if you can get answers. Take your records with you to the second vet. Your cat is at a serious point and you may not be able to reverse what ever is going on if it isnt addressed soon. I dont want to upset you but that is the reality of it. Ive seen it happen with cats, that by the time they find out what it was it was too late and the cats cant recover.

I would ask around, who the best cat vet is in your area. Even if you have to drive a couple hours to get help for your cat.

~Merry~

With my eyes, they will be seen...With my voice, they will be heard....
With my hands, they will know comfort...With my action, they will be free...
~TNR and Rescue changes lives of animals.~

When the angels are busy God sends rescuers
Mitts & Tess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Premier Cat

It could be stress but weight loss in a cat is a bad sign. I'd get an opinion from a second vet. A cat only vet if possible.*

I'm not a vet, I'm not a cat behaviorist but I have read 1 1/2 chapters in Cat vs Cat.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cat Addict

In addition to all of the above, start offering her different foods to eat, especially healthy canned foods such as Wellness grain-free and, even better Evo. She needs to eat in order to maintain her strength.

Good luck to you both!

AC
Auntie Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
Kitten

Just curious as to how your kitty is doing? Sending good thoughts her way.
RobinD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement