Decreased appetite and energy - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2011, 08:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Decreased appetite and energy

My 5 1/2 old kitten has had a noticeable decrease in energy and appetite. We have been trying some new wet foods for him, and he did have a bit of diarrhea, but now his bowels are normal. But he just isn't as playful as a week ago, and he doesn't seem very interested in food. And if he voluntarily eats, he goes for the dry food instead of wet. He'll usually eat any little dry treats we give him.

We're trying anything to entice him...the best meat chunk in gravy catfood, liverwurst, chicken breast....the only thing he seems to have much interest in is licking the gravy off the cat food, and today he enjoyed the chicken breast. He's easily distracted away from his food, and sometimes we have to put it right on his mouth before he realizes he wouldn't mind a bite.

I would say he's just picky, if not for the energy issue. We can get him to play, but it takes some prodding. He lays around a lot more than normal, with some bouts of playful energy(like now he is chasing paper balls with daddy, but will just lay down sometimes), but much less than before.

This is the 2nd day he's been like this, and I don't know if cats have mood swings like people do. Or maybe he didn't like the food we were giving him, and that's why he doesn't have much energy. I just don't know, I'm a little worried. He's drinking, and I think his #1 and #2s are normal. He's had all his vaccinations, was fixed at 4 months. At what point should I take him to the vet?
Jaricketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2011, 10:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I'm assuming you made a typo when you said he was 5-1/2 yrs. old, and meant 5 mos. old. This is not normal behaviour for a kitten. They should be energetic, playful with short naps and be eating well and putting on weight and growth. Your kittie's symptoms could be serious, so do get him to a vet. Make an appt. with a vet tomorrow if you can.
catloverami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

Yes, sorry, 5 1/2 months!

Thank you for your advice. Actually since posting this, he's eaten a bit more on his own(with no prodding) and spontaneously played by himself. I'm going to keep monitoring him closely, and if he doesn't keep improving, I will definitely get him to our vet.
Jaricketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I agree...if you continue to see a lack of appetite and a lack of energy, I'd take him to the vet. Abby is very picky and often shows no interest in her food, but she remains very active and playful. Conversely, Muffs became much less playful once she was about 4 or 4 months old, but she continued to eat well and continued to gain weight at a normal pace. In your case, you have both a lack of energy and a lack of appetite, which is not a good combination.
Advertisement