My cats want strawberries? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2011, 01:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Default My cats want strawberries?

I had to pick up some strawberries for a sundae party one of my friends hosted for Fat Tuesday, so I picked up a couple extra cartons for myself since there was a good deal going on. I pulled some out to eat for a snack last night, and my cats went crazy trying to get them! I had left my bowl in my room because I was too lazy to go back downstairs, but I ended up having to kick the cats out of my room for the night because they wouldn't stop trying to eat the strawberry ends (I couldn't remember if they were poisonous). This morning I dumped the stems in my bedroom trash because they've never messed with the garbage before. Well, tonight I had more strawberries that the cats tried to get at, and then when I wouldn't let them have them they started digging through the garbage! My cats are usually semi-behaved when it comes to eating people food/begging, but they've gone crazy over these strawberries to the point of licking non-existent strawberry remnants off the dishes. Has anyone else had a weird strawberry experience with their cat(s)?
swimkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2011, 01:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Just had this same thing happen today, had some fresh strawberries and the kitties went berzerk for them!!!
Old 03-12-2011, 03:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Yes! Wicket went NUTS the first time I brought strawberries home in a shell, I have no idea why--maybe they still smell like earth? He didn't actually want to eat one but couldn't stop sticking his nose into them and eventually just draped himself all over the shell like he wanted to own it. Interesting to know it's not just my weird cat!
Fyreflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Strawberries? Really? Thats so weird, haha! I think I need to see if my girls have a weakness to them too. Off to the Food Lion today...it's an experiment!

Does anyone know if they are poisonous or not to kitties? Cause Alice and Samantha will eat just about anything if I let them.

Bri: Mommy to Samantha, Alice, Jules, and Edgar the Tarantula
Time Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Well now you all make me want to go out and buy strawberries just to see how my cats react. LoL
Jan Rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Strawberries, in moderation, will be just fine for your kitty. Mine have been getting the tops for several months. They rarely eat them, but more covet them like the above poster.
Sphynx4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphynx4Me View Post
Strawberries, in moderation, will be just fine for your kitty. Mine have been getting the tops for several months. They rarely eat them, but more covet them like the above poster.
Well that seals it. I'm gonna get me some strawberries for a kitty experiment.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I've heard some cats react to strawberries the way they react to catnip...not sure why. I too must pick up some strawberries as an experiment!
Old 03-12-2011, 08:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan View Post
I've heard some cats react to strawberries the way they react to catnip...not sure why. I too must pick up some strawberries as an experiment!
Haha, speaking of catnip, I picked up one of those little potted fresh catnip plants. Samantha sniffed it hesitantly at first, then just buried her whole face in it and started taking these huge mouthfuls. She was pretty subdued for a while after that. XD

Interesting that strawberries can get a catnip reaction. I think some more research is in order! Geez, this really is starting to sound like an experiment, hahaha!

Old 03-12-2011, 10:02 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan View Post
Yeah, I did a few google searches last night, and several people mentioned that strawberries were in the same family as catnip. But when I looked up the specie classifications they are nowhere near being related. Maybe there's some kind of oil that both plants share instead?
swimkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement