Sneezing and Stuffed up cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2011, 10:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Sneezing and Stuffed up cat

About 6mths ago we moved into a new apartment and since then my cat has started sneezing more frequently, she'll have sneezing fits. She also has fits where she inhales in her mouth and makes a gaggle type sound. Over the last few weeks her nose has been stuffy. She's well in herself, eats regular, plays regular and has had regular bowel movements no discharge or vomiting. All my research online tells me to take her to the vet if she's sick in herself. She has had allergies in the past the vet only prescribed steroids for her and it didn't stop her sneezing.

I have put her in the bathroom with me and put the shower on to see if the steam will help. It did once and she sneezed a few times and had a long runny discharge run out of her nose. She was fine a couple of days after that but now she's stuffed up again.

I don't want to take her to the vet if she just has allergies any other ideas to help her?
NatalieLucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2011, 10:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tom Cat

It sounds like the shower steam did the trick the last time, why not just take her in there again? I know it was discussed here that you can give cats Benadryl in small doses. NOT as much as a human takes.

Type Benadryl in the search box above and see what comes up as a recent discussion, I just saw it a couple days ago.
suwanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

We just got done with the shower and she seems a bit better but no discharge yet.

I will do some research on Benadryl maybe that'll help. Thanks.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Great! You read my mind, then....

There are several threads when you type Benadryl in the box, let me know if you have trouble finding them. Scroll down when you get the list, the first few lines are ads, then the search shows a bunch of Cat Forum threads talking about Benadryl.

Seems to work, so might be a cheap fix.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I'd be nervous to try it as it's a human medication. But I'll have a look into it.

I would take her to the vet if I thought it would do any good but like I said last time she checked her she didn't have a fever and everything seemed fine. She gave her a steroid shot as she thought it was allergies. But now we are back there again and much worse.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tom Cat

The vet recommended it to somebody on one of the threads, and there are several people on different threads who used it. Call your vet and see what they say, I know some people meds are bad, but this seems credible, if you read all the posts about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement