spay site.. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2011, 10:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat

Default spay site..

Hiya!
So its been awhile since I've had a kitty recover from a spay and Leelu energy/eating wise is back to normal after hers a week ago. BUT... her incision site has a large lump it looks like half a ball type thing.
As I said everything's normal pooping/peeing/activity/eating and I did keep her from jumping as much as I could the first couple days after. She was pretty good about enforcing rest on herself anyway.
I seem to remember one of my previous kitties having the same thing and it going away after a month...but then a tiny hernia appeared and stayed.
Could this be the same thing? I worked in a vet hospital at the time and the vets weren't worried about it so I didn't, but this time if I want to bring her in I have to bring her an 1hr away to my breeder's vet with 2 crazy babies in tow so I would like to avoid that if possible lol
any thoughts????

Old 04-01-2011, 12:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cat

My kitty was spayed one month ago this weekend, and I have noticed the same thing on her tummy. The lower end of her incision site has a lump under it. It seems to have gone away somewhat, but I am curious as to what it's all about, too. My vet took maternity leave a week or so after Maggie's spaying so I don't really want to call and bother her since it doesn't seem to be an issue for my cat. I've had male cats previously so this is new to me.
Maggie the Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Same thing here. I've noticed it with others as well. Layla was spayed a few weeks ago and it seems to be going away. I think it's nothing to worry about, but if you're concerned perhaps you can just call and talk to the Vet.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cat

Could it be scar tissue? All along my c-section scar there is a hard lump underneath. Though on my cat, it's only on one end of the incision site.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cat

That's what I was thinking scar tissue...right now though it's huge so that plus still swollen from the actual surgery I'm guessing.
I'll keep an eye on her, here whenever you call the vet for anything they just tell you to bring the animal in (cannot legally give advice over the phone/without seeing the animal) so as long as she's her normal self I won't worry yet.
Thanks yall!
Old 04-02-2011, 03:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Its hard to say without seeing it, but it could also be a local reaction to the internal sutures causing swelling. If that is the case, it should go away with time. If you press on it, is it painful? Is is reduce-able (can you push it back into the abdomen?) Is she otherwise normal?

Kobie, Mocha, Puzzles and Tyler, Gone but never forgotten
Kobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

It sounds like it might be a seroma...BooBoo had one after her spay, the vet said it was from her being too active too soon after the surgery. I took her in once to have it looked at, he drew a little fluid from it and diagnosed it, and then said to just keep her as still as possible (yeah, right) and bring her back in a few days or immediately if it got worse or started really oozing, fever, etc...it shrank and by the time I took her back it was like half the size, he took out the rest of her sutures and it eventually went away over the next few days.

Here's what I found on it:

Click for the web site
Seromas:

A seroma is a large lump that forms at a surgical site (particularly a ventrally-located or gravity 'dependent' site like the middle of a cat's tummy) when a space or gap is left open in the subcutaneous fat layer (i.e. a gap in the fatty layer located between the skin and the abdominal wall muscles). This gap (also called dead space) occurs either as a direct result of the surgical process (failure to close the region enough) or it is caused by the animal traumatising the surgery site post-operatively through licking or excess exercise. Straw- to red-coloured inflammatory fluids (fluids that leak into any surgically-traumatised area as part of the natural healing process) pool in these subcutaneous gaps, producing a bulge underneath the suture line. This bulge is full of watery inflammatory fluid and is termed a seroma.

Seromas generally occur if the veterinary surgeon leaves too much of a gap (called 'dead space') open in the fatty layer that exists between the cat's abdominal wall muscles and its skin. In describing the surgical process of feline desexing (section 4), I emphasized STEP 7 (suturing the subcutaneous fat layer closed) - this step is important in preventing seromas from occurring. From a post-operative perspective, seromas may also occur on the owner's watch, if a pet is allowed to run around too much (excessive exercise and rough-and-tumble) or lick its surgery site excessively in the hours to days after surgery.

Diagnosis of the condition can be made by sticking a needle into the lump - the vet will typically draw out a straw to pink/red-colored fluid. If pus comes out instead then an abscess, rather than a seroma, may be the diagnosis. Diagnosis can also be made by placing an ultrasound probe on the lump - seromas look like giant, black, fluid-filled spaces or, alternatively, black spaces interlaced with fine white threads (almost a honeycomb or lacy appearance) on ultrasound.

Generally, fluid-filled, seroma sacs will resolve and shrink on their own as the fluid is reabsorbed back into the animal's body. They do not normally require any specific treatment. You can manage any discomfort by giving the cat feline pain killers, restricting its exercise, preventing licking and placing cold compresses on the lump. In severe cases, your vet may insert a needle into the swollen sac to remove some of the fluid and relieve some of the pressure and pain, however, this is seldom necessary, rarely works for long (the fluid often refills in time) and does run the risk of introducing bacteria into a sterile, protein-filled site and setting up an abscess. Owners very worried about seroma appearances can elect to have their cat reoperated on and the seroma surgically drained and closed (again this is seldom needed).
Najiwench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 08:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cat

Thanks for that info! I had no clue what it was, really. Maggie's has gone down significantly, thank goodness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement