How long should I wait? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2011, 08:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default How long should I wait?

Hello again!

I had a question and wanted to see what the general opinion would be. I took my cat to the vet 2 days ago for his annual checkup and I've since had him locked up in a bedroom/bathroom/hall with food, water, litter etc, because I need to collect a fecal sample for the vet (checking for parasites etc). He has been eating a little, drinking some water, and drank all the water from the tuna fish I gave him (and a little tuna), but he still hasn't gone no.2 yet. no.1 yes, plenty. How long should I wait before it might be a blockage? I figure he could still be getting over the stress of being at the vet (they did give him a few shots!), but still, how long is too long?

Thanks for your help!
Nikita007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2011, 10:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Cat

I thought cats have a bowl movement everyday. I know mine in the past did and Sassy does too. I would call the vet to find out.

Good luck!
Penny135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Most cats have one every day, but sometimes they can go a few days between. It wouldn't hurt to call your vet and ask though!

& the rest of the furry family: Elfie, Rusty & Rico
Always in my heart: Lil'Fella & Kovie

Certified Veterinary Emergency Technician
RachandNito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikita007 View Post
Hello again!

I had a question and wanted to see what the general opinion would be. I took my cat to the vet 2 days ago for his annual checkup and I've since had him locked up in a bedroom/bathroom/hall with food, water, litter etc, because I need to collect a fecal sample for the vet (checking for parasites etc). He has been eating a little, drinking some water, and drank all the water from the tuna fish I gave him (and a little tuna), but he still hasn't gone no.2 yet. no.1 yes, plenty. How long should I wait before it might be a blockage? I figure he could still be getting over the stress of being at the vet (they did give him a few shots!), but still, how long is too long?

Thanks for your help!
I'll second the advice to call the vet and ask, but I wouldn't worry yet, especially since he seems to feel okay. Pushing the tuna water is probably a great idea...get as much water in there as you can.

My Sabine normally skips a day (she's prone to constipation, but skipping a day is part of her "regular" routine)...and definitely skips 2 or more days after any kind of stress (and especially vet visits). After her most recent visit, she didn't have a BM for close to 2 weeks. I was freaking, but the vet said watch and wait (she obviously didn't feel great--who would??--but was eating, drinking, alert, etc.). Sure enough, she finally had a movement, and it really wasn't all that abnormal-looking (a little big on one end).

Hope he makes a deposit for you soon!
littlebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 02:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

Just wanted to keep everyone updated. He had a really good BM yesterday, and so I got the samples taken to the vet. Now it's just waiting to see the results after they check for parasites. I just don't want him to lose any more weight. He's already a tiny cat to begin with. Does anyone know about how long it usually takes for those results to come back?
Old 04-21-2011, 09:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I usually get the results a day or two later...not sure if that's the norm.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
Kitten

Just another update Results came back and were negative for both cats. He's going in for a weight check in a few weeks to see if he's gaining any weight. We've switched him to a new food, the Hills prescription i/d so hopefully that'll help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement