Methimazole Without a Prescription - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2011, 08:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat

Default Methimazole Without a Prescription

Can I order methimazole without a script? Vet sells me the med, but adds a $14 dispensing fee.
Jenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2011, 09:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Most likely not. Your vet should be willing to give you a script thought and allow you to purchase it on your own. Just make sure you are using a reputable pharmacy and double check what you get every time you order (which you should be doing even with what you get from the vet).
Sphynx4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Definitely ask your vet for a prescription so that you can shop around for the best price. Your area pharmacies will all carry methimazole, so once you get your script, call them and price it with all of them. If you're lucky, you'll find it on one or more of their discount drug lists.

Laurie
laurief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Make sure, if you use your own pharmacy, that staff doesn't list your CAT as a member of your family and cause headaches with your insurance! In 2007, Reilly was added to our account when we picked up his Rx and when I noticed they charged us the insurance co-pay I returned and had them change it and collect the full price from us.
Heidi n Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi n Q View Post
Make sure, if you use your own pharmacy, that staff doesn't list your CAT as a member of your family and cause headaches with your insurance! In 2007, Reilly was added to our account when we picked up his Rx and when I noticed they charged us the insurance co-pay I returned and had them change it and collect the full price from us.
Thats odd. I worked in retail pharmacy for 9 years (and still basically work in pharmacy), and for them to do that, they must have filled the prescription under one of your family members (human) profile. In other words, animals are supposed to have their own profile in the pharmacy system and should be marked as such.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premier Cat

It was *very* odd ... because we have NO children to file under, it's just Husband and me. The girl who took our Rx and asked the birthday info *was* new, but we had Reilly in the car *with* us and even pointed him out to her. I'm also sure we stated the Rx was for him ... but who knows what she paid attention to.
Heidi n Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement