Tapeworms? Should I treat my other cat? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2011, 02:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Tapeworms? Should I treat my other cat?

So I just recently adopted a cat from a shelter a few days ago and just this morning found that she has fleas at tapeworms! I have been keeping her in a safe room but she did come in contact with my resident cat a few times (cat fight!) and also I have been going from one cat to the other very regularly.

I am going to buy them flea medication today and treat both of them and I made an appointment to get my adopted cat a dewormer from the vet. My question is, should I get my resident cat dewormed even though he hasn't had that much contact with the adopted cat?

The front desk at the vet said that I should just wait to see if my resident cat shows symptoms later but I am paranoid and was wondering whether normally you would treat both cats at the same time if one had a tapeworm.

I am mad at the shelter for not checking her for fleas at tapeworms >:O Even though they told me she has a clean bill of health!

Old 05-19-2011, 03:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

If I were you I'd talk to the vet, not just take of word of the person working the desk. And if it's troubling you, ask if there is any harm deworming both at the same time, otherwise you are going to be worried for a while.
Emelda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Cat

As long as they had separate litter boxes and limited contact, I wouldn't worry about treating the resident cat for worms.

It's a good idea, as you say, to treat both for fleas though, as fleas are easily spread. Advantage works very well on fleas. Forget store brands or Hartz - they are dangerous.
Greenport ferals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Definitely treat both cats for fleas, as the fleas are tied into the life cycle of tapeworms.

Cat fleas
catloverami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tom Cat

shelters (in the US at least) aren't supposed to adopt out until fleas/tapeworms are gone. At least that's the theory.
I'd also treat both and get fecals done after the dosing is done
Old 05-19-2011, 06:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premier Cat

That's really bad that they didin't check for tapeworms, or didn't deworm the cat before adoption.

I would just wait and see. Tapeworms are most commonly aquired by the cat eating a flea... sooooo, unless your other kitty eats a flea, you should be good. I'd just treat it for fleas, first. Once all the fleas are dead on it, it probably won't have to worry about eating a flea.

Along with the dogs Tara and Coco.
Carmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I treated both my kitties when Wicket had a huge tapeworm but they were integrated and sharing a litter box at that point. He had them when we first got him in November and we treated then but only once, and I guess we didn't get the second cycle? Anyway, but that was with tons of contact.....
Fyreflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Kitten

Thanks for allt eh feedback guys! I just treated them both with frontline plus and I think I will wait to treat my resident cat for tapeworms...

I am really mad at the shelter because it turns out they didn't check for heart worms either... who knows what else they failed to check!! I thought it was weird that the adopted cat is so skinny (you can completely feel her rib cages!) I except my vet bill tomorrow to be quite high....