Recommended Vaccines/Immunizations - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2011, 10:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Recommended Vaccines/Immunizations

I adopted Buster from a pet store that gives cats a second chance for a forever home. They tell me he's had the basic vaccines already, and I understand that I need to take him to see a vet and establish a medical record.

My husband also has a cat for 8 years, and she hasn't seen a vet nor a cat since. I will be moving in with him once I'm done with Residency and both cats will meet for the first time. My questions are:

1) What vaccines/immunizations are absolutely necessary? For example, do the cats need a rabies vaccine even though we live in a 3rd story apartment?

2) Which vaccines/immunizations are 'optional?' I wonder if vets push more to sell more?

3) Are there any other preventative measures I should ask for?

I didn't see another thread of the same, so I apologize if this is redundant.

Thank you in advance!
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2011, 12:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat

Rhinotracheitis, calicivirus and panleukopenia (3 in 1) vaccine is necessary. That is probably the vaccine that your new cat received. It is recommended that all cats receive this vaccine, even if they don't go out or meet other cats.

I wouldn't vaccinate my cats against rabies if I were you but that would probably mean breaking the law, check if it's legally required where you live.

I would suggest both your cats be tested for feline leukemia virus and if one is positive and the other is negative, the negative one should be vaccinated against the virus before they meet (check with your vet when it will be safe for them to meet). I recommend the PureVax brand because it's the safest.

These are the only vaccines most vets recommend (unless there is a specific risk factor that would warrant some other vaccine). They don't really push for more vaccines, what happens more often is that they push for annual vaccination which isn't necessary, probably because they don't know better - but that attitude is slowly changing as new vaccination protocols are being adopted.

Latest vaccine protocols - Felipedia
def kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by def kitty View Post
I wouldn't vaccinate my cats against rabies if I were you but that would probably mean breaking the law, check if it's legally required where you live.
Yes, please check the laws in your state. One of the problems in NY, where I live is if your scratches or bites anyone, and the incident is reported, the animal can be put down if they don't have a current rabies vaccination...no questions asked. Same goes if they get out and are taken to a shelter. I am not in love with the idea to vaccinate my 3 cats against rabies each year, but until the laws change here, I do it for their own safety as well as the fact that if you ever need to board your cat (s), they will ask for a vaccination certificate from your vet. If it's not current, they will not board them.

dweamgoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat

Boo has his rabies,FeLV vaccine,and FVRCP vaccineat the mobile Vet in my old town when I got him neutered I also had him tested for FIV & FeLV.I got Boo vaccinated against everything due to my stupid ex not wanting to get his cat anything but his rabies shots.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Gabby is an indoor only cat but I'll still get her vaccinations done yearly just in case. I have high anxiety levels and doing so will help keep them down a little. Plus, my apartment complex mandates it. Two weeks before I brought Gabby home I went with her former human when she took Gabby to the vet for her vaccinations. Combined with the quick vet check the whole bill came to $51.

Some vets have two year vaccinations.
Gabby169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

Thanks for the replies!
Advertisement