growth weight/chart for kittens? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2011, 05:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Default growth weight/chart for kittens?

Hi folks!

To me Sparta looks really on the thin side. She is eating, going to the bathroom and playing normally but seems really thin. She goes to the vet Friday for her second set of shots. She was wormed as well a few weeks ago as a precaution as she didn't have worms but to be safe they wormed the entire litter.

Common sense tells me as long as she is eating, pooping and playing she is fine even if I can see her rib cage. Growing cats I am sure go through stages ~ but is there a kitten growth chart or weight check kind of thing online so I can compare her?

She is on Wellness core canned. She snacks on the dry but gets 3 meals a day of a 1/4 a can at each meal. I will offer more but that is all she eats at one time.

I just want to make sure my grand-kitten isn't going to wither away =p
praline is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2011, 05:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Evaluating your cat's weight - The Purina Body Condition System
Old 06-13-2011, 05:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

That's for adults though =(
I am guessing young kittens go through those awkward growth spurts...

Here is a quick video of her. If you watch when she turns, you can see her ribs and her tummy area concaved in slightly. Is this normal for a 8/9 week old kitten?

Old 06-13-2011, 05:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tom Cat

a note in there states they gain about 1 pound per month so you would need to know her weight prior to taking her in and then weigh her. I use a baby scale for fosters. Not 100% accurate as it's old but it lets me know if they are losing or gaining
Old 06-13-2011, 05:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary_NH View Post
a note in there states they gain about 1 pound per month so you would need to know her weight prior to taking her in and then weigh her. I use a baby scale for fosters. Not 100% accurate as it's old but it lets me know if they are losing or gaining
I know she was exactly 2lbs a week ago Monday. Her foster mom had her spayed as soon as she hit the 2lbs so we could adopt her. We were waiting for that magical number for a few weeks.
The vet who spayed her sits on the board of this rescue group and they are good people so I am sure it was all done correctly.

I have been around lots of cats but never a kitten so young. I am guessing they go through funky growing spurts but wanted to make sure. Heck Bentley looked so goofy at times when he was growing up I was worried I had adopted a freak lol
Old 06-13-2011, 06:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Weight is not the best way to tell if your kitten is healthy or not; starting weight and weight gain can differ dramatically from kitten to kitten depending on their breed(s), size, activity level (muscle weighs more than fat), etc. Regularly weighing only tells you whether your cat is gaining/losing in relation to the last time you weighed your cat like Mary said. The body proportion chart that Mary posted first is going to give you a better indication with the exception that it's okay for a kitten to be a little more on the rolly-polly side since they are still growing.

That being said, personally, I think your kitten looks a little on the thin side, but not detrimentally so. When Pumpkin was a kitten she looked the same because she would play and run 24/7, so there was no extra fat on her body whatsoever. She was allowed to eat as much as she wanted too. If you are still concerned, ask your vet when you take Sparta in for her shots, and see if she should be put on a canned kitten food with a higher fat content.
swimkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cat Addict

They are getting canned 3x a day and offered dry 24/7 next to their water bowl.

I have an entire case of Wellness kitten canned and neither kitten will touch it. We started feeding the canned core mixed with the kitten as the Wellness lady on the phone suggested. Once they started on Core the little stinkers refuse to touch the kitten food. Even mixed together they will eat around the kitten food and polish off the core.

The Core is an all stages food thats has better stuff then the kitten version. My dog like the kitten version though

The more I am thinking about your advice ~ well these kittens were restricted a great deal with the movements before we got them. Now they have supervised full run of our house. When they are not supervised they have run of my daughter's room. They were in a cat cage and bathroom mostly before we adopted them. They remind me of William Wallace in "Braveheart" ... FREEDOM! They are all over the place and exploring everything and running ... OMG they run just to run! This extra activity could be playing on their calorie intake.

I might try and offer canned as a treat a few more times a day in addition to their meals. Just to get them so they don't look like orphans lol
Old 06-14-2011, 12:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about her size it at the moment. As long as she is eating, she will let you know if she wants more. If she ever stops eating for more than a day, then you will know something is up and you should take her to the vet asap. More than likely, she is just a very fit kitten like my Pumpkin was (she still hasn't put on very much fat). For special treats you could also offer some cooked or raw unseasoned meat chunks in addition to the canned. Besides being tasty and healthy, the meat is a great instructional aid!! I used leftover meat treats to teach my cats to come when I called them, allow me to brush them/trim their nails/wash them, and a few other things.
swimkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 03:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I found this link with a pretty good chart:

http://www.hillspet.es/weight-manage...art%20pdf.ashx

if you are still interested.

dweamgoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 03:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I am feeling way more comfy since we saw the vet. They have gained .4 pounds in the past week. That is REALLY good for kittens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement