Trifexis for dogs with cats in the home? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2011, 02:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Default Trifexis for dogs with cats in the home?

I use Heart guard and Frontline for my Bentley. I was reading about Trifexis while at the vet's office and it seems a safer, more effective and cheaper preventive then having both heart guard and frontline. Anyone here try it yet? I like it as its an oral pill and the flea treatment is not affected by water or bathing.
It hasn't been out very long but I am thinking of giving it a try with Bentley due to the ease of it and how well it works.

Thoughts on this new preventive? Dog flea treatments are always so dangerous around cats =(
praline is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2011, 09:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I've never heard of Trifexis. BUT, just in googling it has the active ingredients of two products I do know and trust, Spinosad is Comfortis and Milbemycin is Interceptor. I use Sentinel (which is Milbemycin with a IGR, so similar) and have used comfortis as well and was really happy with it. For anyone familiar with capstar, comfortis is a long lasting version of that wonder drug! Anyway, rambling, but love the safety and effectiveness of these two drugs so I would say go for it.

The only downside is going to be tick protection. If you live in a high tick area, the spinosad does not prevent or protect against ticks like the Frontline does. If you are worried about the frontline being unsafe for your kitties you don't need to worry. The ingredients in frontline are completely safe for cats. There aren't the same concerns with that products as with many others on the market. You can even put dog frontline on a cat and she would be fine. Very safe.

Kobie, Mocha, Puzzles and Tyler, Gone but never forgotten
Kobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I have never seen a tick on my dog and I don't think they are a big issue in my area? My kids never bring any home EVER.

It is the kitties but also I am not warm and fuzzy about my kids rubbing their faces in fur that has that stuff. It can't be good, ya know?

I did pick up a 6 month supply of it and will start him on it tonight. I like the fact that is can't be washed off or anything as my retriever is a born and bred duck lol
Old 06-19-2011, 01:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Haha! Thats why I started using Comfotis, Moxie is a water beast. They say that Frontline won't wash off, but surely when spending THAT much time in the water, it must have SOME effect.

To its credit though, I've never ever seen fleas on Moxie since that day I adopted her. Only found a tick on her once, but it was dead and not engorged. So I'd say the frontline has held up pretty well.

I hope we start carrying this product soon. How much did a 6 month supply cost for your Golden?

Kobie, Mocha, Puzzles and Tyler, Gone but never forgotten
Kobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 01:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cat Addict

It was $119, the same amount that it cost for heartguard and frontline.

He has been on it for the day and no adverse reactions. He didn't have fleas before and he doesn't have any now

I always worried about those spot treatments and my kids. I always lock Bentley up in the computer room after treating him. You would think he was being beat and abused the way he carries on <sigh> but I was worried the kids would pet him and get that stuff on them while it was still wet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement